Scamp Bunk Bed Backing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #1

Name: Robin
Trailer: Scamp 13
Connecticut
Scamp Bunk Bed Backing

I just purchased a 1980 Scamp 13 and it has the couch/bunk bed cushions, but they are not attached to the trailer to prop up and make the bunk beds. The couch back is supposed to be the upper bunk, but how does it attach to the wall and what is inside the upholstery cover to make it into a hard flat bed - plywood?

Any photos would help. Thanks!
Robin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Sorry, I don't have photos of my bunk and my Scamp is stored 1 hour from my home. This posting on FGRV may help. I found it by seaching on this forum with the "Search" button at the top of the screen. Click and hold on the Seach button for a drop down menu. Go to the bottom to "Search Site/Google" and write in the words "Scamp bunk". You will find lots of posts there.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nts-66409.html
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:02 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Robin, post #4 in this thread has details and pictures of the upper bunk:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-72253.html

The plywood platform you'll have to make yourself. The trick is making a cardboard template first. Tape it to the ledge and swing it up and down. In the down position it should rest on the fiberglass base at a slight angle (i.e., it stands out from the front wall about 3-4 inches). The wings fold slightly to accommodate the curved corners of the shell. In the raised position, it should fit the curve of the shell. Mine has perhaps a finger width gap all the way around. Remember that the fabric cover will increase its dimensions slightly.

The offset hinges are available from any hardware store. The support posts, if you don't have them, can be ordered from Scamp, or you can make them from readily available materials using the measurements in the linked thread (or have them made- Scamp's design requires some welding). The rings on the bottom bunk can also ordered from Scamp, but I believe they are standard shower curtain rod trim rings.

Before you do anything, make sure the mounting ledge under the front window is solid. If there has ever been a leak in the front window, it's possible the wood inside that fiberglass-encased, rat-fur covered ledge may be rotten, and then you have a bigger project on your hands.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp