Scamp cabinets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 06:25 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Scamp cabinets

I just bought my first 1984 scamp 16 foot
. And the previous owner went a little crazy with a saw and cut out both cabinet to install a poorly designed larger bed. I am trying to decide what to do? Option one try to cover the damaged area with wood made cabinets. Or option two get and install factory made units. Looking for advise
Duckhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Sounds like it is already modded, so what works best for you? That is the beauty of an older unit, make it yours and enjoy. I would suggest you do some research on here and absolutely install something that gives your trailer the same or better support than it had with the factory cabinets. These are great trailers but they do need some structure inside to support the walls and roof. A larger bed would certainly appeal to me..........
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Wood made cabinets may be easier if you are good with woodworking. You can epoxy or fiberglass wood tabs (1x2 blocks) to the shell and use that to anchor the cabinets to. If you do that be sure to remove the ensolite or whatever wall covering so the expoxy or glass bonds directly to the fiberglass shell. I am in the process of doing this in mine now and you can get creative making the cabinets suit your needs. Also, the closet and a metal bar from the counter top is structural roof support so if it is significantly altered or missing you might want to include some kind of vertical wood support either directly to the wall or some type of small post in a couple of spots to keep the roof from sagging or the side walls from bowing out.
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How about some pictures of what you've got, Bill?

Seems to me there are three options: (1) restore to original using replacement fiberglass pieces, (2) rebuild original configuration using wood cabinetry, or (3) keep the larger bed and make it look nice. With #1, shipping is the biggest obstacle. Option #2 requires decent cabinet-making skills to get something that is sturdy, lightweight, and well-integrated with the existing components. Can't say much about option #3 without seeing what you've got, but some people would find the larger bed worth a reduction in the size of the cabinets.

Before you invest too much in the cabinetry, make sure the floor and frame are sound. Floor rot and cracked frames are not uncommon in units that old. Don't want to build on a rotten foundation…
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I bought and fitted some prefabricated cabinets in my rebuild

I glued and screwed the bond into the camper like Scamp does in the deluxe unit.
If you look I gut the ensolite out and roughed up the fiberglass and bonded the cabinets and screwed through he fiberglass.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looks beautiful, great job.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp