Scamp crank windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2016, 07:54 PM   #1

Name: Susan
Trailer: ECO 13'
Arizona
Registry
Scamp crank windows

Looking for help. I'm having trouble with the crank window by the stove, the knob turns but won't open or close the window. I spray with WD40 and it'll work for awhile, now I need to do it again. And just today another of the crank windows by the dining table/bed is doing the same thing. What is the answer to fixing this?
I have a 2013 13' Scamp.
Thanks in advance!
Susan
Susan in Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
My Scamp does not have those crank windows, but I'll venture a guess. The cranks are usually fixed to the shaft with a set screw that becomes loose. Look for that and tighten it with an appropriate tool. Hope this helps.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 10:25 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
possibly the plastic knob has started to strip out so that it is slipping on the spline of the operator (the little gear box) or the operator is going bad. Using the WD40 makes the window open easier so whatever is loose or worn doesn't have as much pressure or strain on it. See if the screw in the center of the knob can be tightened, like Paul suggested. I put one of those Scamp windows in our Uhaul.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
I agree with both but if WD40 helps the problem there also must be some problem with the gear inside...
Try to clean out any gunk by taking off handle and spraying the gear and all pivot points on windo with a cleaner...I use Gum Out which is a carbarator cleaner can be found at Wal*Mart or any auto parts store.
This will get the gunk out then spray with a teflon lube.
I find if any thick gummy lubes will just collect more gunk over time.
Inspect those splines on the crank. Are they may be worn out if the handle turns but the window doesn't open but I would expect that the crank itself is worn and these are easlily replaced
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Scamp crank window

Thank you for the replys!
I turned the screw in the center of the knob and with one of the windows it did the trick, I'll get the Gum out.
I suspect the mechanisms are full of gunk and since the knob turns but don't open or close the windows, the cranks are probably worn out.

Again, many thanks!
Old 11-16-2016, 11:30 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
That window by the stove will get stuck in its gasket and strip the knob. A little silicone spray on the gasket with the window open will keep the gasket from sticking to the window. I have had to take a knife between the window and the frame and apply pressure to the window while someone turns the knob from the inside to break the window seal and open the window. Just turning the knob on a stuck window will just strip the knob. I'v has this issue with the fantastic vent cover too. A little silicone spray every now and then goes along way to keeping your windows functioning properly.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Scamp crank windows

Be very careful using the Gum Out carb cleaner. It is highly volatile and flammable, and will really damage your eyes if you get any in them. Also, it may be corrosive to certain plastics and countertops. I would find something else.
Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:17 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There are a few different styles of that window used over the years. In my 2008 the whole window tips out. With the newer ones only the center part swings out. I'm not sure when they changed.

Mine has two plastic rollers that run in tracks along the lower edge of the window. As Steve described, the gasket got stuck and in trying to turn the crank the rollers popped out of the tracks. With a bit of coaxing from the outside I got the window open and the rollers back in the tracks. I now open and close it pretty gently.

If you have the newer style, the issue is probably different.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:21 PM   #9

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Scamp Crank Windows

Susan, we had the same problem with our window over the stove. We wound up buying a new knob at a trailer parts store. If there is one near where you live, you might see if they have one that you can purchase. The
inside of the knob does wear out. Don.
Kardon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:19 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Good point Slim the cranks on my 79 Boler is all metal.
Should have thought of these newer fang-dangle plastic trailers.
LOL
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #11

Arizona
Registry
I like the new knob idea. I'll try that. Also maybe I'll get some silicone spray.
Happy Scamping!
Old 11-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It is a 3 year old trailer. Unless it has been heavily used it should not see the wear problems many have discussed.

I used Jig-A-Loo Nano on mine after cleaning, it dried up real nice, so I don't think it will attract dust/dirt. Make sure you spray all the pivot points where everything moves and between the gear and the window frame. I was surprised to learn when I had mine apart that the gear actually rests against the window frame.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, windows