I rather like the curtains that came with our new Scamp. They let in just enough light to be pleasant during the day and block out the neighbors' view in at night. Being a seamstress, I did not like the unfinished edges so I folded those under, stitched them down, making finished edges. The fabric is a synthetic not commonly found in home fabric stores such as JoAnne's. The interior of the Scamp often is damp when in warm weather during the day and cold weather at night. The synthetic material makes sense under damp conditions as it will not easily get moldy or rot easily. Some fabric shower curtains are similar to this fabric.
I did not like the way the curtains hung away from the wall and interfered with my head when I was seated at the dinette. I made curtain "tie-backs" which are attached to the rat fur with the hook end of Velcro. I now can pull back the curtains to reveal an open window when I like.
We too, wanted to black out our windows
. After a few attempts I came up with the best solution for us. I made flat window covers (shades) out of Ron-Loc, an insulating, block out fabric available at JoAnne's. It is sold as a curtain liner. When cut, the edges do not unravel. I made a 1" tube at the top through which I put the original Scamp curtain rod. I folded under the bottom edge about 1", sewed it down for reinforcement and attached 3 short pieces of the hook side of Velcro. I placed the rod ends through the wall side of the rod holder (not on the rod holder itself). When using the shade it hangs down from the rod and the bottom edge is attached with Velcro to the rat fur. When I want the shade out of the way I simply roll it by hand onto the top rod and attach the Velcro to the rat fur on the top. This solution worked fine for the side windows
. On the back window I had to roll the shade on the rod from the top down because there is not enough space to store the rolled up shade on the top of the window. My upper cabinet is in the way. When the shade is rolled down I simply fasten it with two lengths of hook-end Velcro to the rat fur. Note: We found that cold air would stream down our heads at the side window when we were in bed. I attached a continuous long stretch of Velcro on the bottom of that window shade thereby solving that problem.
I purchased new cafe curtain rods which have a large finial on each end and fit more snugly in the Scamp rod holders so they do not fall
off in transit. On these new rods I hang the curtains.
I have fun making new curtain panels and placing them on the outside edges of my Scamp curtains. I always line the panels so the fabric will not fade easily. I generally use 100% cotton or a cotton blend simply because that is what is most available.
The photos I've attached show my first attempt in making Ron-Loc shades. I will post new photos, as I take them, at a later date.