Scamp Cushion Density - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #21

Name: lisa
Trailer: Scamp
Pennsylvania
We do that as well, except we put cushions and table up every third day to air them out because I noticed moisture on the platforms under the bed. We use 1 inch memory foam on top of cushions.
Lkeoghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkeoghrn View Post
We do that as well, except we put cushions and table up every third day to air them out because I noticed moisture on the platforms under the bed. We use 1 inch memory foam on top of cushions.
Moisture under the bed is a common problem. A number of people here use a product called HyperVent under the cushions to solve the problem. Many marine supply stores sell it or a very similar product by the foot off a roll.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroadagainace View Post
What do you do with the foam during the 'up table' time? I have slept about 6 months of each year on my reg Scamp cushions and feel good except the cusions are now breaking down...need new ones.
Pick up long sleeping bag straps at REI or a sporting goods store. We rolled up a 2 inch topper like a hot dog and used it for a backrest. Diameter is around 12-13 inches when rolled up.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #24

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Registry
Right now, we use a 2" memory foam over the Scamp mattress. We roll it up, secure it with bungies and put it in the shower or doorway when we are inside. (We call it 'Beddie'). Our thought is to pull the foam out of the Scamp cushions and replace it with the memory foam for one side and regular foam for the other side. We would sit on and use the regular side for general use and then flip them all over to the memory foam side for sleeping. I think it would work though it would cost a bit for the other foam. Maybe we could fillet the original ones lengthwise???
BillF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Bill,
We did just as you suggest - shaved an inch off the thickness of the scamp cushions (just the two middle ones in bed format) and replaced it with memory foam. It made for a much more comfortable sleep without the issue of storing a separate layer of foam bedding. It was a bit of a challenge to do, but worth worth the effort for us.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #26

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Scamp
Utah
Registry
So happy to hear someone else changed the Scamp foam to memory foam in the cushions. My back could not tolerate the hard foam. I spent last weekend removing the original foam and replaced it with 4 inch gel infused memory foam, which I found on Amazon for $99 for a full. I believe it was similar to wrestling an alligator. Two people, four hands, and lots of bad language. I will also be using a mattress pad over it that has 1/2 inch memory foam. I have not had the opportunity to sleep on it yet. Sheet and a comforter to finish it off. All of which I can store much easier than a roll of memory foam in a 13' Scamp.
I want to be able to use the dinette and have a bed too. On rainy days I'd prefer to sit at a table and play cards, read, drink coffee, and not worry about spilling food in my bed.

Happy Camping everyone.
Kkightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #27

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Still debating what to do in our 16' Scamp re: bed.
Discussion has be enlightening to say the least.

We are also using factory cushions with 2" memory foam on top.

Kinda like we have what we have... for now.

This was a major eye opener to us.

This came from Esmè's holistic vet!
Body posture depends on teeth

Not yet sure what sleeping may do...

I am on the outside our Scamp being the tallest and DW is on the wall side with the curves.

My left arm does "go to sleep" from time to time as it is compressed against the wall behind the chair at the dinette.

It is what it is!

We love our Scamp!

Bat Dude
Old 03-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #28

Name: Wendy
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17’
California
I guess I like a soft bed.
I put a 3" medium foam on top of the hard cushions and still don't sleep well. Next I'm getting a 3" memory foam to add to the stack. And some ear plugs. Still hoping for a good solid 8 hours of sleep.
SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp