Scamp Cushion Density - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #15
Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
With any RV the bed area size is often problematic...however I got lucky when I decided to upgrade my "U" shaped dinette into a proper sleeping area.
After measuring I discovered I had plenty of room to use a standard full sized mattress (54X75). Did some store price checks then tried the "Wayfair" on line store...everything ships free (no kidding) and the prices for 8 inch and 10 inch memory foam mattresses are fantastic....the one I selected had great reviews and cost only $235.99... For a true 8 inch thick memory foam mattress with deluxe tercel fabric cover and free shipping.....I know that mattresses from companies catering to RVers charge about $600 for a simple interspersing mattress.....Wayfair does have all types of mattresses at amazingly low prices.....give their website a look !

Happy Camping !

Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #16
Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
In our case we chose the 16 so we would never have to mess with table up/bed down issues. W/ side dinette table is always up as is the rear bed.

Conservation biologist specializing in bats.
Trailer = 16' Scamp
BatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #17
Name: Jim
Check out the Thermarest mattress . I've used one for years .
Jimp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #18
Name: Bill
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Custom 6 -inch matress

We got a front dinette so we can leave the bed made.

Took paper and traced out the patter of the cushions on to it, and had a custom 6 inch mattress made.

We took the cushions out and store them in the house.
A three egg family..

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #19
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
We have been thinking about the memory foam mattress toppers for a long time, and I think we hit it right last week. Kohl's had a sale on memory pads and we got a 1.5 inch king size (no fabric cover), marked from $200 to $60, and with the Kohl's charge card and some other discount she paid about $35. I cut it to size this afternoon to fit the Scamp loft bed. We'll still use a mattress pad on top. She will try the left over piece as a seat cushion for those long rides in the truck. I can't wait to test it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:37 AM   #20
Name: Doug
We have a 3" memory foam pad from Costco, queen size, that we were no longer using and it was a very good fit with cutting about 20" wide strip for side dinette in Scamp 16 and remainder for rear dinette. The year old Scamp is very comfy with these pads over the factory cushions. I put a sleeping bag liner over the narrow pad and it easily rolls up when not in use. Put a normal mattress pad over the wide one for a cover. That one would take up a lot of space to stow it, but we leave the rear dinette in bed mode all the time so it is not an issue.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #21
Name: lisa
We do that as well, except we put cushions and table up every third day to air them out because I noticed moisture on the platforms under the bed. We use 1 inch memory foam on top of cushions.
Lkeoghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #22
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Lkeoghrn View Post
We do that as well, except we put cushions and table up every third day to air them out because I noticed moisture on the platforms under the bed. We use 1 inch memory foam on top of cushions.
Moisture under the bed is a common problem. A number of people here use a product called HyperVent under the cushions to solve the problem. Many marine supply stores sell it or a very similar product by the foot off a roll.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #23
Commercial Member
Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Originally Posted by ontheroadagainace View Post
What do you do with the foam during the 'up table' time? I have slept about 6 months of each year on my reg Scamp cushions and feel good except the cusions are now breaking down...need new ones.
Pick up long sleeping bag straps at REI or a sporting goods store. We rolled up a 2 inch topper like a hot dog and used it for a backrest. Diameter is around 12-13 inches when rolled up.
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design:
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #24
Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Right now, we use a 2" memory foam over the Scamp mattress. We roll it up, secure it with bungies and put it in the shower or doorway when we are inside. (We call it 'Beddie'). Our thought is to pull the foam out of the Scamp cushions and replace it with the memory foam for one side and regular foam for the other side. We would sit on and use the regular side for general use and then flip them all over to the memory foam side for sleeping. I think it would work though it would cost a bit for the other foam. Maybe we could fillet the original ones lengthwise???
BillF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #25
Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
We did just as you suggest - shaved an inch off the thickness of the scamp cushions (just the two middle ones in bed format) and replaced it with memory foam. It made for a much more comfortable sleep without the issue of storing a separate layer of foam bedding. It was a bit of a challenge to do, but worth worth the effort for us.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #26
Name: Kelly
So happy to hear someone else changed the Scamp foam to memory foam in the cushions. My back could not tolerate the hard foam. I spent last weekend removing the original foam and replaced it with 4 inch gel infused memory foam, which I found on Amazon for $99 for a full. I believe it was similar to wrestling an alligator. Two people, four hands, and lots of bad language. I will also be using a mattress pad over it that has 1/2 inch memory foam. I have not had the opportunity to sleep on it yet. Sheet and a comforter to finish it off. All of which I can store much easier than a roll of memory foam in a 13' Scamp.
I want to be able to use the dinette and have a bed too. On rainy days I'd prefer to sit at a table and play cards, read, drink coffee, and not worry about spilling food in my bed.

Happy Camping everyone.
Kkightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #27
Name: Bat Dude
Still debating what to do in our 16' Scamp re: bed.
Discussion has be enlightening to say the least.

We are also using factory cushions with 2" memory foam on top.

Kinda like we have what we have... for now.

This was a major eye opener to us.

This came from Esmè's holistic vet!
Body posture depends on teeth

Not yet sure what sleeping may do...

I am on the outside our Scamp being the tallest and DW is on the wall side with the curves.

My left arm does "go to sleep" from time to time as it is compressed against the wall behind the chair at the dinette.

It is what it is!

We love our Scamp!

Bat Dude
Conservation biologist specializing in bats.
Trailer = 16' Scamp
BatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #28
Name: Wendy
I guess I like a soft bed.
I put a 3" medium foam on top of the hard cushions and still don't sleep well. Next I'm getting a 3" memory foam to add to the stack. And some ear plugs. Still hoping for a good solid 8 hours of sleep.

SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote