Scamp Cushion Density - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Scamp Cushion Density

Based on previous posts in this forum, Scamp cushions are "marginal" for sleeping comfort. Since I'm picking up a new Scamp in May - and then heading west for 4 weeks before returning to metro Boston - how uncomfortable am I likely to be when sleeping directly on the factory cushions? I have a 1" memory foam topper at home that I could cut, make temporary slipcovers, and bring along. Worth it? Or not??
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We did the same...almost... except ours is a 1" sponge topper from Walmart. Some go a step further and get 2" memory foam. We've found the 1" does fine ....BUT we've not stayed in it over 1 week at a time. But with your 1" memory foam, I think it will suffice personally. I would DEFINITELY take something....the stock foam Scamp cushions are NOT comfortable to me to sleep on. They're 1 step above a flat board .

Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
Based on previous posts in this forum, Scamp cushions are "marginal" for sleeping comfort. Since I'm picking up a new Scamp in May - and then heading west for 4 weeks before returning to metro Boston - how uncomfortable am I likely to be when sleeping directly on the factory cushions? I have a 1" memory foam topper at home that I could cut, make temporary slipcovers, and bring along. Worth it? Or not??
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I put a 4" memory foam over top of the standard cushions (used an electric knife to cut to the shape of the bed). Its very comfortable - I also use a good mattress cover over the foam though.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Doggone Carolyn!! Does yer nose hit the ceiling??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I put a 4" memory foam over top of the standard cushions (used an electric knife to cut to the shape of the bed). Its very comfortable - I also use a good mattress cover over the foam though.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #5

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
3" foam added. YES the cushions are brutally hard. Good for longevity, but impossibly similar to a park bench in comfort. -)
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Doggone Carolyn!! Does yer nose hit the ceiling??
Nope. All VERY comfortable - especially when one adds 1500 count sheets and a nice duvet to it & a half dozen pillows.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
I'm with Carol....Four inches, custom cut, I'm at the Ritz!
John
Old 02-19-2016, 03:43 PM   #8

Name: Sue & Paul
Trailer: 76 Scamp
New York
8" memory foam

We found a brand new 8" memory foam King size bed at Salvation arm for $99. And we are cutting it down to match the standard cushions in the scamp now. We want to sleep like we are at home. There is a post on this site that other people have done the same thing. We can't sleep on 1 inch cheap foam.
Suebq36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #9

Name: Carol & Jim
Trailer: New 2015 16' Scamp
Georgia
We went to Big Lots and bought a gel/foam w mattress cover that we cut to fit. Around $100.00. What a difference. Since My DH and I are both around 5'3", We also have enough room for us both to sleep comfortably along with a 12 yr old cat.

PS I needed to sew the mattress cover stiching on sewing machine and got some mattress holders (elastic bands with alligator clips on end) from Amazon and this gives a real custom fit!
Vanderscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
I have a 1" memory foam topper at home that I could cut, make temporary slipcovers, and bring along. Worth it? Or not??
I too had a 1 inch memory foam pad (queen size) and took it to Backus, cutting it to size when I had the cushions available for a template. For the week-long trip back it did help a lot, but after 5 days I decided I wanted more. So I now have a 3 inch one (more like 2.5 inches in real life). I would take the foam with you and decide after sleeping on the bed. You might think 1 inch is enough or you might want to start with more and not even bother to cut up the one inch.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderscamper View Post

PS I needed to sew the mattress cover stiching on sewing machine and got some mattress holders (elastic bands with alligator clips on end) from Amazon and this gives a real custom fit!
Good idea. i had to cut the mattress cover down to size & shape as well - went with one that just lays on top of the mattress no sides to it. Then sewed an overlock stitch along the sections I cut to finish it off and added a couple of elastics to run under the two long cushions at the top and bottom to hold it in place.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #12

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Our Scamp (new Oct. 2014) has had loads of use. 2015 we slept in it from Jan-April and 2016 since (Well acutall Nov 2015) to now.

Standard Scamp cushions and only a 1" memory foam topper.

No complaints yet.

It is a bit narrow for 2 of us, but clearly works. Also critical to have side to side level otherwise you wake up around 02:00 all bunched at the foot of the bed LOL.

The BAL single axle leveler has fixed that for use tnx to suggestion from Byron and Ann when we met in Death Valley in 2015.

Try what you have then you can always tweak it as you travel.

Cheers,
Old 02-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #13

Name: Ace
Trailer: scamp
Montana
What do you do with the foam during the 'up table' time? I have slept about 6 months of each year on my reg Scamp cushions and feel good except the cusions are now breaking down...need new ones.
ontheroadagainace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:33 PM   #14

Registry
After the first year of using my trailer and taking the bed up and down each day and having a poor sleep due to the cushions needing the added foam and no room in the trailer to store the foam .. I decided to leave the bed made at all times & make the bed as comfortable as it can be. Purchased a nice light folding table for use outside if camping in a spot with no tables..... If the weather is really bad out I just eat inside with the plate on my lap.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #15

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
With any RV the bed area size is often problematic...however I got lucky when I decided to upgrade my "U" shaped dinette into a proper sleeping area.
After measuring I discovered I had plenty of room to use a standard full sized mattress (54X75). Did some store price checks then tried the "Wayfair" on line store...everything ships free (no kidding) and the prices for 8 inch and 10 inch memory foam mattresses are fantastic....the one I selected had great reviews and cost only $235.99... For a true 8 inch thick memory foam mattress with deluxe tercel fabric cover and free shipping.....I know that mattresses from companies catering to RVers charge about $600 for a simple interspersing mattress.....Wayfair does have all types of mattresses at amazingly low prices.....give their website a look !

Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #16

Name: Bat Dude
Michigan
In our case we chose the 16 so we would never have to mess with table up/bed down issues. W/ side dinette table is always up as is the rear bed.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Check out the Thermarest mattress . I've used one for years .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Custom 6 -inch matress

We got a front dinette so we can leave the bed made.

Took paper and traced out the patter of the cushions on to it, and had a custom 6 inch mattress made.

We took the cushions out and store them in the house.

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #19

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
We have been thinking about the memory foam mattress toppers for a long time, and I think we hit it right last week. Kohl's had a sale on memory pads and we got a 1.5 inch king size (no fabric cover), marked from $200 to $60, and with the Kohl's charge card and some other discount she paid about $35. I cut it to size this afternoon to fit the Scamp loft bed. We'll still use a mattress pad on top. She will try the left over piece as a seat cushion for those long rides in the truck. I can't wait to test it.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:37 AM   #20

Name: Doug
California
Registry
We have a 3" memory foam pad from Costco, queen size, that we were no longer using and it was a very good fit with cutting about 20" wide strip for side dinette in Scamp 16 and remainder for rear dinette. The year old Scamp is very comfy with these pads over the factory cushions. I put a sleeping bag liner over the narrow pad and it easily rolls up when not in use. Put a normal mattress pad over the wide one for a cover. That one would take up a lot of space to stow it, but we leave the rear dinette in bed mode all the time so it is not an issue.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp