Scamp Delivery - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
Scamp Delivery

I have a Scamp on order that is supposed to be finished in June...my plan is to go pick it up from here in Western NY...my question: how does Scamp ship? Is it loaded on a flat bed, or does someone tow it to it's destination? And when it is delivered, does the delivery person go over the functions of the Scamp? thanks
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Jeff, those questions are probably best asked of Evelands. I do know a gal here in Portland, OR ordered a trailer and had it delivered. Showed up being towed behind a truck and was an absolute mess. Chips galore, etc. She refused delivery! Sent it back, they sent out another one on a flat bed. It's my understanding the delivery person just delivers the trailer. May not even be an employee of Scamp. But there again, things are subject to change and it's best to ask the manufacturer directly.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:52 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I picked up my 16` Scamp in Backus, I believe the shipping was something like 1700$$ to PA. I figured for that amount of cash, I best make a vacay out of it. That was in Sept.-Oct. 2014. It was fun and we got to check everything out. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Here is a related thread:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post569326
I myself would also make a trip to MN, pick it up, test all systems while camping in the area and then travel home.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Jeff, those questions are probably best asked of Evelands. I do know a gal here in Portland, OR ordered a trailer and had it delivered. Showed up being towed behind a truck and was an absolute mess. Chips galore, etc. She refused delivery! Sent it back, they sent out another one on a flat bed. It's my understanding the delivery person just delivers the trailer. May not even be an employee of Scamp. But there again, things are subject to change and it's best to ask the manufacturer directly.

Best of luck!
Donna raises a good point. Late last year I was considering having a trailer transported through several states.

What I learned is that many trailer manufactures & large dealerships will have a preferred transport company they use for the transportation of all their trailers (but they do not own the transport company) and the preferred method of transport is to ship the trailer on a flatbed & not have it towed.

An individual can arrange their own shipping but if any issues come up its all on the buyer to sort out/fix. The manufactures/dealer may get you to sign off on the liability/insurance issues even if they arranged it BUT if they have a good longterm relationship with the trucking company that did the transporting the odds are you will have a far better chance of a quick and fast resolution should something go wrong.

If the manufacturer/dealer is arranging the transport make sure you get to see and read the full terms and conditions of the transportation agreement prior to shipping. Especially true if you have already paid in full for the trailer.

Make sure you have the trailer FULLY insured in *all ways possible* prior to transporting it, no matter who transports it or who arranged it.

There are a couple of popular websites one can go to and ask truckers to bid on the movement of the trailer and the prices quoted are going to be all over the map. MAKE SURE you state the trailer is to be moved "via flat bed only" and not towed!! You also need the trucker to send you a copy of their own insurance as well. I know a few vintage trailer folks who have used such services and were happy with the results.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #6

Name: Gwendolyn
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
They hire people to tow - not haul on a flat bed - them out. Ours is being delivered this month. Wayne told us scamp assumes full liability while en route. We are concerned after reading the delivery stories but we could not get away from work to make the trip until late June and aren't patient enough to wait that long. Hopefully we won't be sorry.
gtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Might be an idea for Scamp/Casita to use a cover on the front end for deliveries just as many new cars have on them when being delivered to the dealers. I'm sure it would be cheaper than having just one unit refused .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor View Post
They hire people to tow - not haul on a flat bed - them out. Ours is being delivered this month. Wayne told us scamp assumes full liability while en route. We are concerned after reading the delivery stories but we could not get away from work to make the trip until late June and aren't patient enough to wait that long. Hopefully we won't be sorry.
Someone else posted that they did not accept the delivery of a Scamp that was dinged during the delivery trip. I assume that it was simply a delay and (maybe a big) inconvenience. If it happened to every other Scamp delivered, they would have to change. The probability is that yours will be perfectly fine.

Some people care and some are just curious. Either way, come back to this thread and let us know how it went.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:03 PM   #9

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
[/Quote]The manufactures/dealer may get you to sign off on the liability/insurance issues even if they arranged it BUT if they have a good longterm relationship with the trucking company that did the transporting the odds are you will have a far better chance of a quick and fast resolution should something go wrong.

Make sure you have the trailer FULLY insured in *all ways possible* prior to transporting it, no matter who transports it or who arranged it. [/QUOTE]

You can only purchase "Comprehensive" insurance and "Collision" insurance coverage on a trailer you own which I highly recommend as coverage is CHEAP given the potential of loss!

Liability insurance coverage (damage caused to others) for ANY trailer is provided/extended by the vehicle liability insurance policy of the vehicle PULLING the trailer if the trailer is indeed "hitched" to a tow vehicle. A trailer is not a motorized vehicle therefore you cannot buy "On Road" liability insurance for a trailer. In this situation I suggest you have an adequate amount of "Liability" insurance coverage limits on your tow vehicle for the damage and injury your negligence can and could cause others. What's adequate? That depends on your personal situation however I can guaranty that whatever your state's minimum liability insurance requirements are is nowhere near enough coverage.

If you are PAYING a third party transporter to ship your trailer LOADED on a trailer the transporter's "Cargo" insurance will cover your trailer for accident damage, liability damage cause by your trailer to others or damage caused by the transporter as by accepting the contract the transporter becomes responsible for the "Cargo" which is your trailer. This assumes you are dealing with a licensed, bonded and insured transportation company. YOUR "Comprehensive" and "Collision" insurance coverage would be "secondary" in this instance.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
[/Quote
You can only purchase "Comprehensive" insurance and "Collision" insurance coverage on a trailer you own which I highly recommend as coverage is CHEAP given the potential of loss!

Liability insurance coverage (damage caused to others) for ANY trailer is provided/extended by the vehicle liability insurance policy of the vehicle PULLING the trailer if the trailer is indeed "hitched" to a tow vehicle. A trailer is not a motorized vehicle therefore you cannot buy "On Road" liability insurance for a trailer. .

Its important to keep in mind that the rules/laws and what one can and can not get regarding insurance will be different in every State and Province.

For example where i live the trailer MUST by law amongst a number of min. insurance items, have its own Liability insurance of a min. of $200,000.00.

While the trailer is indeed covered by the tow vehicles insurance "when connected" it is not covered in the event it disconnects on the highway and kills someone or rolls away in a campground and runs over a child.... thus the reason for it requiring its on liability insurance.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have $3 million liability insurance on my trailer and the same on my vehicle. Separate policies.
$200,000 might take care of a paralyzed child for one year.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #12

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Jeff, I think it depends on the person delivering the trailer. I got my Scamp 16 delivered last April to CA by Dan (& wife Julie, sorry don't have last name) towed behind his pickup. He drove through snow to get here but washed the trailer before delivery and it was in perfect condition. He also gave a good review of the systems. Dan explained that Scamp has a number of people who regularly deliver for them. I am sure you can always discuss your concerns with Wayne at Scamp to make sure you get an experienced person with a good reputation rather than a new guy.
Enjoy your new Scamp this summer!
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #13

Washington
Our scamp was just delivered today. I'm so excited. Wish I could retire and just hit the road. It was in fine condition. Dirty but it's raining and raining and muddy here in the pnw so that's fine. The couple that delivered it were very nice. So no problem with the delivery at all. There are a couple issues with the scamp itself (the escape hatch doesn't close completely for one) but I'm thinking a call to Wayne will help get things fixed without too much trouble. Just thought I'd post a follow up re the delivery condition.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's great, Gwendolyn!

Many happy adventures ahead... enjoy!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #15

Name: Dan
Ohio
The last one I had delivered from Scamp was towed from MN to Ohio. They dropped it off in 10 minutes and took off. I had to call Scamp for specific questions.
Upnorthcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #16

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
scamp delivery

thanks for all the good information...I'm still leaning toward the adventure of picking up in Backus...
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #17

Washington
The folks delivering ours went through the whole trailer and showed us everything and how it works. Still if I could have made it happen I would have chosen to make the trip out. Would have been fun to see the factory.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:20 AM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Rabbit View Post
thanks for all the good information...I'm still leaning toward the adventure of picking up in Backus...
The northern route through Ontario and UP Michigan is a very nice way to go, but you do need a passport. Enjoy your new Scamp. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Gwendolyn
Congratulations on your new trailer. When you clean up your trailer don't forget to really clean the frame. This time of year the roads are covered with salt and other chemicals. I would completly wipe the frame down with a rag and soapy water. I had to repaint a two year old trailer frame due to a winter delivery when no one cleaned off the road salt from the frame.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:03 AM   #20

Washington
Thank you for pointing that out! I wouldn't have thought of that. I will definitely clean the frame.

Tags
scamp