Scamp Dinette Table thickness? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-30-2015, 04:04 PM   #15

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Bill Nolan--original photo up top here, lovely, just lovely inside of your 1978 Scamp! A goal to set for our amerigo down the road--so to speak.

Glenn Baglo, sorry it didn't work well; does encourage me to forge on in spite of things that aren't working well...good photos.

floyd, cabinet grade ply...good idea! We found where to buy a new "ring" for the table to attach it to the wall and make it adjustable--well, ring and leg...but were wondering what material would be best. CABINET grade ply. OK!

Old 11-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
I'd like to thank each of you that replied to my request for help.

After looking for good cabinet making 3/4-inch plywood, i did find a 4' by 4' sheet that was not very costly...about $25.00, and a little heavy.

However, i could hear the 1" by 4" by 8' lumber calling me to at leae come and look at it!.

In the end I bought 6 pieces of 1" by 4" lumber and made a plank bed support! Cost was less than $8.00! I only used four pieces of the lumber.

Not the wisest move should I ever want to use the dinette area for a dinette, and need a table. But, for now, it does provide me with a cheap bed support. Only time will tell if it will warp...but at that price that will not be a great loss.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Scamp bed support.jpg Views: 25 Size: 176.9 KB ID: 90288" style="margin: 2px" />

Bill

Old 11-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #17

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Nice. Our home bed is supported on slats much like that! Very comfortable
Old 11-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #18

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
Nice. Our home bed is supported on slats much like that! Very comfortable
Thanks Zennifer! I'm hoping that all those slats will hold up my considerable weight!

Bill
Old 05-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #19

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I had hinged the table to use it in the half position when it was just the two of us, as this gave us a much more user friendly and comfortable area, and opened up fully when we had guests. Drawer slides supported the fully opened table top........ just another option to consider.
Dave & Paula
Dave & Paula - I LOVE the drawer slide idea! I'm working on a tabletop/bed redo, and this is exactly what I was looking for!
Old 05-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #20

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkolmankeen View Post
Dave & Paula - I LOVE the drawer slide idea! I'm working on a tabletop/bed redo, and this is exactly what I was looking for!
Scott, just to let you know, the drawer slides are mounted backwards so as it slides out the "step downs" of each section will stay in the same plane as the table top. I have seen others that have used triangular wood slides to support the extended table top.....just another option. Also I did not cut the table top exactly in half, as that would leave the small table a little too small for my taste, so one the base section is a little larger than the sections that folds back on it, leaving a few inches of a step down near the window, but that works out great for the salt/pepper etc. Best of luck with your project.
Dave & Paula
Old 05-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #21

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies and comments.

Floyd, where did you find epoxy coated plywood? And, if you don't mind me asking...how much did a sheet cost? My budget is shocking limited!

Dennis, since I plan on keeping the bed down full time do you think that leaving "ears" at the front of the sheet of plywood, to fill the open gap on each side, would be of any benefit? just a thought...

Kai, loose planks of wood could be troublesome I agree. However I once made a "roll" of wood planks (held together with canvas strips) to bridge a gap so I could have a bunk in a tiny sailboat. It worked OK, although the "roll" ended up larger than my storage space!

Dave, that is a great idea on making your dinette table much more user friendly!

Thanks again,

Bill
Pre-finished plywood is not typically done with an epoxy. It is confusing to people because the term catalyzed sometimes leads them to thinking that it must be a two part epoxy finish which also is catalyzed. However the pre-finshed plywood that you buy will typically have a Catalyzed Lacquer finish on it. Catalyzed lacquer is harder and more durable than traditional lacquers.

You can find pre-finished plywoods at your local lumberyard. Typically what you are going to find locally is Birch face pre-finished plywood but you can special order it in other types of wood if the only choice in the store is birch. It does make a nice table top and certainly saves on the labor of applying finishes.

Anyway don't go to the store and ask for epoxy coated plywood. Just ask for pre-finished plywood and you will get the kind you are looking for. If you want to know the cost of it just call your local lumberyard. You can shop around on pricing. Sometimes lumberyards have a cash price that is lower than if you put it on a credit card so do inquire about that discount.

Tags
scamp