scamp door - anybody try hanging it on the left? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Hi All:

I am seriously contemplating reversing the side that my scamp door hangs off of. The reason why I am thinking about this is because there is considerable damage in the front right corner of my scamp, considerably bad where the door hinges are located. I am in the process of replacing sub-floor in the front section of the scamp and doing some signfican glass work in front area of the scamp. The door puts considerable weight and stress on the section I will be fixing the most.

So, anybody try reversing the side that door hanges off? Any reason this should not be done?

thanks
lenny247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
The only thing I can think of is if it should open while moving it will rip right off, whereas if it is in the normal opening postion, like all campers seem to be, the wind would keep it from opening all the way.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
That is why Lincoln quit making cars with the "suicide doors"
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well it would be unique. Be sure and really reinforce the hinge area. I BELIEVE the hinge area IS reinforced on a normally hung door. Some members have reinforced the hinge area with steel, still others wood.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #5

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I think Pete may have the best argument against doing this, but it still sounds like it could be done, with plenty of reinforcement.
It does bring to mind the Gull-wing Mercedes (also DeLorean) top-hinged doors. Maybe that could be done. The opposite would be the bottom-hinged approach from some airplanes complete with steps on the back of the door.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #6

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is if it should open while moving it will rip right off, whereas if it is in the normal opening postion, like all campers seem to be, the wind would keep it from opening all the way.
Damn good point!!!

I am now investigating re-inforcing the hinge area with a wooden frame ...

Thanks for the replies ...
lenny247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Damn good point!!!

I am now investigating re-inforcing the hinge area with a wooden frame ...

Thanks for the replies ...
Lenny,

I'm thinking of doing the same (reinforcing) with my boler. Have a look at the screen door mods and you can cambine the two. Improved structure and function.

The thought hit me today of scrounging a few recycled building supply places to see if I can find an old FG tub or shower enclosure that might fit the bill. Seeing as how I am going to have the glass and resin already out for the repairs. I'm thinking of the Escape door jamb that Brian B-P talked about in the Escape trailer thread

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Lenny247,
Penny and Pjanits have the correct answer, I believe. Since you are going to be working with fiberglass anyway, why not simply repair the forward jamb instead of reinventing the wheel? Many people have made the damaged jamb stronger than the original. The idea of incorporating a screen door design makes a lot of sense. Our 17' Casita has a squared-off door jamb and door and Ann would never go camping if we could not have ventilation and protection from flying critters!
Some time spent designing a new entry could spell wonderful dividends.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 02:28 AM   #9

Trailer:
Quote:
The thought hit me today of scrounging a few recycled building supply places to see if I can find an old FG tub or shower enclosure that might fit the bill.
Unless there's a big difference in the way FG tubs are made between America and Yurp, the exposed/shiny side of a FG tub is moulded acrylic which is then reinforced (a bit) by having fiberglass laminated on the concealed side. The acrylic won't be a great material to have inside your repair/reinforcement, so you'd be better off just laminating the fiberglass in the repair yourself.

For a job like this where working conditions (acess, orientation, etc) may be imperfect a pro's trick is to lay up the fiberglass (glass and resin) off the job on a sheet of plastic, paint resin onto the prepared repair surface, pick up the repair patch on its plastic backer, press it firmly in place, peel off the plastic and then finish stippling the patch into place. But don't try and lay up more than one or two layers at a time this way, or else the patch will become inflexible and won't conform to the repair surface.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:19 AM   #10
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
It does bring to mind the Gull-wing Mercedes (also DeLorean) top-hinged doors. Maybe that could be done. The opposite would be the bottom-hinged approach from some airplanes complete with steps on the back of the door.
Hinged at the top! What an idea. It could use hydraulic lifts so when it was opened it would go up like the hatch on the back of an SUV. Instant porch! I LOVE that idea.

... but then all of my close-at-hand stuff would fall out of my door pouch.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Unless there's a big difference in the way FG tubs are made between America and Yurp, the exposed/shiny side of a FG tub is moulded acrylic which is then reinforced (a bit) by having fiberglass laminated on the concealed side. The acrylic won't be a great material to have inside your repair/reinforcement, so you'd be better off just laminating the fiberglass in the repair yourself.

Andrew
Acrylic
Don't know what I was thinking. Thanks for pointing out my error in logic Andrew.
Back to the drawing board

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:19 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
That is why Lincoln quit making cars with the "suicide doors"
Hey Hey Hey..

I drive a Honda Element.. those suicide doors are the best thing since sliced bread for loading and unloading stuff!!!!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
AirStreams open on the left.
Alan #1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
"So, anybody try reversing the side that door hanges off? Any reason this should not be done?"

If you Scamp's door fit as loosely as mine, you'd never contemplate this. The front edge of the door would slop open, catch the wind and be gone forever by 30 mph or so. Aero forces are considerable, like the topside suction that opens the vent hood of my MaxXFan en transit, unless I torque down the crank with a mighty twist.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:41 AM   #15

Trailer:
Quote:
It does bring to mind the Gull-wing Mercedes (also DeLorean) top-hinged doors. Maybe that could be done.
Click image for larger version

Name:	miti.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	3463

Miti Lite Album (here!)

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Hi All:

I am seriously contemplating reversing the side that my scamp door hangs off of. The reason why I am thinking about this is because there is considerable damage in the front right corner of my scamp, considerably bad where the door hinges are located. I am in the process of replacing sub-floor in the front section of the scamp and doing some signfican glass work in front area of the scamp. The door puts considerable weight and stress on the section I will be fixing the most.

So, anybody try reversing the side that door hanges off? Any reason this should not be done?

thanks
I think hinged at bottom is best just use door for step and close with a rope or hydraulics.
bdiscount is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp