Scamp Door Seal - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Perhaps the reason it's pushing forward is it's too thick? Finding just the right thickness can be problematic. I know the door hinge side on my Scamp door the foam is pretty smooshed and is nearly full thickness on the latch side. Maybe a different thickness on the hinge side vs the latch side is the solution? I'm going to rebuild the hinges this next spring with new brass and springs. I'm hoping that will help bring the hinge side out a bit. But even if it doesn't, the foam has been on the door for nearly five years and perhaps it just time to replace it anyway.
I've re-applied the foam stripping from Lowes. This time, I put a second strip on the hinge side of the door. The recessed area around the door is just about thick enough for two, side-by-side. I also sprayed some silicone lube on the door edging. It has a pretty rough design, so I'm thinking a little silicone may help reduce the dragging on the seal. We'll see what happens. That foam insulation idea looks good too......

Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #16
Trailer: 87 13 ft Scamp
I used Self-Adhesive High Density Weatherstrip Foam tape for Doors and Windows (home). It's 1/2" thick x 3/4" wide and 10' long. It took two bags (with some left over). I seamed it at the very top under the drip cap. And bought it at Lowes
I did the same as Donna and have never had a problem at all.

Pat R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #17
Name: Doug & Lara
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
We bought our 13' foot Scamp in April and by mid-summer, the foam seal had been pushed out of place on the hinge side at the top and bottom corners.We replaced it with self-adhesive rubber door seal from Canadian Tire. This hasn't been as successful as I wanted; but, I think that's because I didn't vary the thickness of the seal, which I think you have to do. I'd hate to be replacing this every season.

dougbond is offline   Reply With Quote