scamp electrical outlet in bed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 PM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Reading Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicklebok View Post
Nice work honda! Love the cabinets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicklebok View Post

My plug is located by the sink and the interior lights are above it. So if you want to read at night, your head is on the end where the plug is. So, like other have mentioned, time for mods!

Thanks for the kind words.

We added a wooden over head cabinet above the bed/dinette and placed two lights on the bottom of the cabinet. I've been thinking of adding a light on the end of the passenger's side cabinet to match the one on the driver's side as well.

For reading, we've given up paper books for e-books because we're on the road for such a long period that it becomes too much to carry them.

We've added Adobe Digital Books to our computers and Ginny's Nook. I mainly read books on the computer which is it's own light source. It's really neat that we can down load books from our home town library where ever we are. (Actually it's from the state of NH electronic book library linked to all the town libraries.)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
getting electrocuted, or strangling on the cord of something. I've been putting a pillow up against it, but it's not always there when I wake up. I was electrocuted by a nightlight when I was a kid and I remember it VERY well.
It's not very likely you'd get an electrical shock from that outlet even with an electric blanket plugged in. The plug would have come part way out, or cord would have to have two bare conductors. With the plug part way out you would have to get part of yourself contacting BOTH prongs to get any electrical shock.
As for electrocution, not going to happen. The term electrocution means to terminate a life via electrical shock. I suppose it could happen if you could pull the plug part way out and get toe on blade and a finger on the side of your body on the other one. I would think that would be pretty difficult to accomplish. You have a greater chance of getting shocked from the wires inside the blanket than the plug.
In order to kill electrical current has to flow through the heart. More damage is often done in an effort to get away from the shock than the actual shock. I've worked with electricity all my life, been shocked more times than I can count and have a pretty good understanding of how it all works.
In your case the best advice was given earlier, a right angle plug. If you don't know how to replace a plug find somebody that does so you the proper wires to the proper blade of plug.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 AM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Heidi. Most trailers today utilize ground fault interrupters (GFI) like the ones found in kitchens and bathrooms. These receptacles, recognized by the test and reset buttons, measure the current leaving one side and returning to the other side. If the two currents are not the same, it interrupts the flow much like a circuit breaker. These all but eliminate the risk of shock. Does your trailer have these? If not they can be purchased at any hardware store but must be installed correctly to work. By all means hire an electrician if you have any doubts about doing the install. It won't cost much and you will sleep better at night. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:33 AM   #24

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Thanks. It does not have a GFI outlet. Will look into that.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:48 AM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstor...45524877277565

or this
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #26

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
I never do any outlet work without one of these:
GB Electrical GRT-3500 Circuit Tester, Circuit Tester#

You just plug it in and it tells you immediately whether you have power, whether the polarity is correct, and whether the ground is good. They make a version that also has a button to test the GFCI, but you can use the one on the outlet too. They are great for testing existing wiring that may be suspect too. They are under $10 just about anywhere electrical stuff is sold. I wouldn't be without one.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post

You just plug it in and it tells you immediately whether you have power, whether the polarity is correct, and whether the ground is good. They make a version that also has a button to test the GFCI, but you can use the one on the outlet too. They are great for testing existing wiring that may be suspect too. They are under $10 just about anywhere electrical stuff is sold. I wouldn't be without one.

David
This should be part of your Egg's tool box and used any time you hook up at a campground.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post

David
These things are always a good idea to have around trailer and home.
However, if a person wishes to change the plug on the end of power cord they don't help there.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #29

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
These things are always a good idea to have around trailer and home.
However, if a person wishes to change the plug on the end of power cord they don't help there.
Actually they will if you are replacing an outlet (1) to will tell you if you shut off the power to the outlet prior to removing the old one and (2) if you wired the new outlet properly. Unless you were referring to an extension cord, then yes they are not helpful.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 AM   #30

Trailer: Boler 1984
I carry one of those testers to check the outlet at a campground. I have found quite a few where the wiring was reversed.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:23 AM   #31

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard
What do you do if you find the wiring (polarity?) reversed at a campground?
Karen
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:10 AM   #32

Pennsylvania
Registry
tell the management you want to be moved and if the other spot is also reversed, I'd go someplace else, poor electrical management means they are taking shortcuts in other areas.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #33

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
tell the management you want to be moved and if the other spot is also reversed, I'd go someplace else, poor electrical management means they are taking shortcuts in other areas.

Thanks. I've never known to check that and I've never had a problem that I know of but then I haven't done as much camping as many of you.
Karen
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, scamp