scamp electrical outlet in bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
scamp electrical outlet in bed

Any other Scampers feel awkward sleeping with an electrical outlet a few inches from your face? What did you do about it? I'm planning to use it at night this weekend for an electric blanket, too...
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #2

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus
Any other Scampers feel awkward sleeping with an electrical outlet a few inches from your face? What did you do about it? I'm planning to use it at night this weekend for an electric blanket, too...
I try I keep my tongue in my mouth.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
It doesnt snore so it doesnt bother me at all.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
What's your concern or what are you worried about?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
i try i keep my tongue in my mouth.
hahahahahahah!
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:05 AM   #6

Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13, 72 Alpine Sprite
Alabama
I dont like it more as an inconvenience than a hazard. Anything plugged in is subject to be bumped, pulled on and unplugged. I love my Scamp but thats a poor design that has been left in the plans. I'm going to add another plug by the refridgerator next to the bunk beds and maybe one by the closet.
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Electrical Outlets

I agree that the two end of the counter outlets are mislocated. Plugs do get knocked and bumped.

To resolve the issue we installed three outlets in the dinette area. We put one in the facing surface of each front corner of the dinette and one in the rear corner of the door side dinette. Once you decide to put an outlet in, putting two or three in costs a small amount more.

We also installed an outlet in the front face of the couch to allow us to power computers and the like when on the couch.

We have also installed two outlets that can't be seen. One is under the sink for the air conditioner and the electric hot water. One is under the couch for the Converter and Inverter.

We also have one outside.

Having outlets where you need them just adds to the organization of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Under Dinette Drawers.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Norm,
I like those drawers, do not remember a post on them, were they there or you added?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #9

Florida
Drawers

I added the two dinette drawers. They each contain a 24 quart plastic bin. I also store some rarely used or seasonal items in the remainder of the dinette seat... our electric heater, fan, lantern and crock pot.

In addition to these drawers we have added 4 other drawers. Actually 2 are not traditional drawers but do provide access to previously unused space.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Drawer.jpg   Plastic Liner.jpg  

Under fridge soda and can storage.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
One person's bed is another person's dinette. Perhaps the original owner wanted an electrical outlet there to plug in entertainment devices? You could always swap ends for sleeping then the plug would be at your feet rather than in your face...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #11

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
One person's bed is another person's dinette. Perhaps the original owner wanted an electrical outlet there to plug in entertainment devices? You could always swap ends for sleeping then the plug would be at your feet rather than in your face...

First, our Scamp 16, side bath has an outlet on the end of each counter so swapping ends isn't a solution. Second, I do think the outlet does have value, we use one for the coffee pot and toaster each morning.

The simple fact is that there are not enough outlets in the trailer, at least the ones they have are not conveniently located. I get the distinct impression that, at least in the Scamps and Casitas, that little thought is given to user convenience, in terms of storage, outlets,....

I am not intimate with other brands, though from the little I've seen of other brands I've noticed many of the same class of issues.

It sort of like the plastic rivet cap situation on the Scamps and Casitas. They fail because of sunlight. Maybe they could be painted white before installation or made of something that did not fail in sunlight. It's shocking to me that something that's a continuous issue for owners has not been addressed in decades.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

First, our Scamp 16, side bath has an outlet on the end of each counter so swapping ends isn't a solution.
And my Scamp 16 side bath only has one counter (bigger frig next to bath) and only one outlet (beneath the stove). So it doesn't matter which end my head would rest it would never be in an outlet. One outlet is all I need and all I ever wanted.

So, it appears there really isn't anything "common" that would suit everyone's needs. I guess that's what MODs are all about
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #13

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
One solution that I make good use of is the 90 degree plug! Here is a link to what I'm talking about: Leviton 5266-CA 5-15P Angle Plug Industrial - Black-White - OneStopBuy.com You can find less expensive versions at Lowe's etc.
I've cut most of the straight plugs off my trailer stuff and put these on. They lay flat against the wall where they are less likely to get pushed down or broken. Some of these plugs can be rotated to any angle, and I suggest using that type. Part of the problem with Scamp outlets is the lack of walls to put them in. I have had to rework some of my AC placement as well.

I would agree that the placement of plugs could be better concieved. Same for the lights. Virtually all of them are located to shine in your eyes, not on the work

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
My outlets are both located at the ends by the bed. The location of them is great for coffee machines, toaster, charging cell phones, power to the DVD and TV in the overhead, working on the lap top at the table etc but agree that if leaving things plugged in at night its best to use the one near your feet rather than your head as its less likely to get knocked out of the plug when tossing and turning at night.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #15

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
What's your concern or what are you worried about?
getting electrocuted, or strangling on the cord of something. I've been putting a pillow up against it, but it's not always there when I wake up. I was electrocuted by a nightlight when I was a kid and I remember it VERY well.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #16

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I agree that the two end of the counter outlets are mislocated. Plugs do get knocked and bumped.

To resolve the issue we installed three outlets in the dinette area. We put one in the facing surface of each front corner of the dinette and one in the rear corner of the door side dinette. Once you decide to put an outlet in, putting two or three in costs a small amount more.

We also installed an outlet in the front face of the couch to allow us to power computers and the like when on the couch.

We have also installed two outlets that can't be seen. One is under the sink for the air conditioner and the electric hot water. One is under the couch for the Converter and Inverter.

We also have one outside.

Having outlets where you need them just adds to the organization of the trailer.
Very nice! That spot on the angled surface of the dinette is where we put the propane detector.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #17

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
One solution that I make good use of is the 90 degree plug! Here is a link to what I'm talking about: Leviton 5266-CA 5-15P Angle Plug Industrial - Black-White - OneStopBuy.com You can find less expensive versions at Lowe's etc.
I've cut most of the straight plugs off my trailer stuff and put these on. They lay flat against the wall where they are less likely to get pushed down or broken. Some of these plugs can be rotated to any angle, and I suggest using that type. Part of the problem with Scamp outlets is the lack of walls to put them in. I have had to rework some of my AC placement as well.

I would agree that the placement of plugs could be better concieved. Same for the lights. Virtually all of them are located to shine in your eyes, not on the work

David
Great suggestion! Thanks! I will look into that.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #18

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Good point. I did try swapping end for end, but the reading light is on the other end and I use the sink area as a nightstand, and that is at the other end too. I think those right angled plugs have potential, and (I don't know why I haven't done this yet) I'll get some of those plastic blank plugs so that the electricity can't come out and get me!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You mean you are going to "child proof" your Scamp?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #20

Name: Ronnie
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 13, 72 Alpine Sprite
Alabama
Nice work honda! Love the cabinets.

My plug is located by the sink and the interior lights are above it. So if you want to read at night, your head is on the end where the plug is. So, like other have mentioned, time for mods!
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, scamp