Scamp ensolite seam tape - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
John Perry's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Posts: 471
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
In my spare time, and when the temp is below a 100, I have been cleaning up a Navy surplus 13' Scamp. It was so dirty that I thought the Ensolite was beige. After a lot of scrubbing I find that is a very light gray and in pretty good shape.
I have been installing the Scamp seam tape.
I have a warning for anyone doing this. No matter how clean you think your Ensolite is wipe down the Ensolite in the area the tape is going with alcohol. If you don't the tape may come loose.
I redid the rear area 2 days ago and the seam tape is nice and tight now and looking very good.
I hope this saves someone a little extra labor.
John
__________________

__________________
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Member
 
ericmarlo's Avatar
 
Trailer: '77 Triple E Surfside
Posts: 80
Quote:
In my spare time, and when the temp is below a 100, I have been cleaning up a Navy surplus 13' Scamp. It was so dirty that I thought the Ensolite was beige. After a lot of scrubbing I find that is a very light gray and in pretty good shape.
I have been installing the Scamp seam tape.
I have a warning for anyone doing this. No matter how clean you think your Ensolite is wipe down the Ensolite in the area the tape is going with alcohol. If you don't the tape may come loose.
I redid the rear area 2 days ago and the seam tape is nice and tight now and looking very good.
I hope this saves someone a little extra labor.
John
I still have a roll of seam tape from Scamp in my garage. My current seam tape is ripped in some spots and sagging in others. When I looked at my new roll I was a bit surprised to see that it's not sticky on the back side. Your's too ? If so , can you suggest the best ways to apply the new i..e. Totally remove my current stuff and use rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky old residue left behind ? and then what ? What did you use to apply the new stuff. Did you also take pics of how it looks now with the new tape in place?
__________________

__________________
ericmarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Sandra Lair's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 379
The seam tape I got from Scamp has plenty of "sticky" on it but it still sometimes comes loose in places. I guess the texture of the ensolite is not the best surface for sticking things on. I have used a hot glue gun to re-stick it in places. Thanks for the tip about wiping the surface with alcohol--I'm going to try that next time!
Sandra
__________________
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:49 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
John Perry's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Posts: 471
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I still have a roll of seam tape from Scamp in my garage. My current seam tape is ripped in some spots and sagging in others. When I looked at my new roll I was a bit surprised to see that it's not sticky on the back side. Your's too ? If so , can you suggest the best ways to
There is a clear plastic covering that is almost impossible to see on the sticky side of the tape that you have to peel off. Make sure you clean the ensolite tape area very well with alcohol.
I haven't taken any photos as yet as I am not done with the interior. The days that I decide to work on the trailer turn out to be very hot and there is no shade where I have to park the trailer. It was 107 degrees today in the shade.

John
__________________
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mike Watters's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Posts: 459
For some, the favored solution is to dump the seam tape and fill the seams with caulk. In the Boler I did a few years ago, I used white acrylic (paintable) caulk to fill the seams. Just filled, flattened (with a finger, putty knife if the gap was too big) and let it dry. When all was said and done, I'd ended up painting over the ensolite anyway. Not because I needed to match the seams - just wanted to whiten it up.

Others may differ on this - but I thought they looked better with caulk than tape too.

Mike
__________________
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Lainey's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Posts: 538
Quote:
Others may differ on this - but I thought they looked better with caulk than tape too.
That was my personal opinion also Mike when I did the same on the Boler. To each his own. I liked that the seams were much less noticable with the caulk technique.
__________________
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Member
 
Trailer: 1999 Starcraft Star Lite 25RQH
Posts: 82
Talking

Quote:
For some, the favored solution is to dump the seam tape and fill the seams with caulk. In the Boler I did a few years ago, I used white acrylic (paintable) caulk to fill the seams. Just filled, flattened (with a finger, putty knife if the gap was too big) and let it dry. When all was said and done, I'd ended up painting over the ensolite anyway. Not because I needed to match the seams - just wanted to whiten it up.

Others may differ on this - but I thought they looked better with caulk than tape too.

Mike
Good Evening Mike. The way I finished my caulking was with a wet paper towel and when finished, it was very hard to see where the seam was. Yours in Bolering. Jim
__________________
Jim Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
John Perry's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
California
Posts: 471
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Good Evening Mike. The way I finished my caulking was with a wet paper towel and when finished, it was very hard to see where the seam was. Yours in Bolering. Jim

I think I am going to give the caulk a try.
I live in a very hot area and the new seam tape has been coming loose lately.
I just got off the phone with Scamp and they tell me to go buy a hot glue gun and run a strip of hot glue in the seam before applying the tape.
Wish they had told me this when I bought the tape.
Thought I would let those of you that are considering the seam tape know the problem.
John
__________________
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
Posts: 604
What color of caulking best matches ensolite?
__________________

__________________
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seam Tape Rick Harmer Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 01-23-2010 01:46 PM
Boler seam tape George A Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 2 09-06-2008 03:40 PM
Seam Tape Jason, M Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 2 07-07-2008 07:14 PM
Seam Tape Dawn Nelson Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 4 04-07-2008 10:59 PM
Seam Tape John L. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 16 07-02-2007 09:08 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.