I agree 100%. But I've checked too many of my 12v coming FRESH off the charger and know that the voltage (freestanding) is higher than 12.3. I was trying to simulate what she said she was doing. My point is, she's saying 12.3 off the charger AND with the load- fan/lights. BUT, the subject is, they're not performing. And in my statement, I also asked that she attach the wires...simply to watch the voltage and see if it changed WITHOUT the lights
, fan, etc. IF the voltage nosedives (regardless what the free-standing voltage is), then she has a severe problem with the wiring upstream from the battery
. The fan/lights are simply victims at this point not being able to receive the current they need. I would agree then that this is where loose connections and/or corroded connections/Fuses would/could enter the picture as previously suggested by others.
As I also stated, I feel she should have the battery
checked for reassurance AND it will be under a load when she has it tested. That is the ONLY true way she will know if the battery
is good. IF the battery is good, then I highly recommend her taking it to an RV shop to have the wiring checked.
This one thing I DO know from the ownership of a Scamp
. There's LOTS of wiring where the 12v wires enters the trailer coming off the trailer from the plug/battery. And if it's like mine, it's deep in the front closet. If she doesnt have a bathroom, then others that have the bunks probably can tell you that you can find the wiring under the front couch. From there it, will not be an easy task.
I wish her the best... and still anxious to find out the culprit.
Originally Posted by stefman
Please don't ever judge a battery by what the voltage is fresh off a charger. That 'surface' charge is a useless reading on any battery. Put a small load, let's say one light
or any load on the battery for 15 seconds, then turn that load off - make sure all loads are off by disconnecting the negative lead off the battery. Now read the battery voltage with a DVOM (digital volt/ohm meter). This will be a way more accurate reading. If the reading is over 12.6 volts you have a 'sulphated' battery and it's junk. If your reading in less that 12.2 volts then your battery is most likely junk. A reading of 12.3 to 12.6 is in the normal range. From there a qualified person needs to perform a load test on the battery. A perfectly brand new battery, fully charged, and not surface charged should only read 12.6 volts maximum. You can only create 2.1 volts per cell if the battery is not sulphated. Do the math.