Scamp floor repair tips - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Scamp floor repair tips

While installing a Scamp floor by myself I needed a way to wet the fiberglass surfaces before sealing and to install calking to the drop floor rail without making a total mess. I put two pieces of 3/4 EMT through the back window and rested it on the counter tops. I located where four screws would would be located to secure the floor to the frame rails. I installed eye screws in these locations and suspended the floor above the frame with cargo straps. While suspended from under the trailer I could put resin on the shell lip and to the underside of floor edge and install sealer on the floor pan rail. I then was able to release the straps to lower the floor into position for glassing in. In another picture you will see 2x4 supporting the shell to get a proper gap of the shell above the frame rails.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
100_3538.jpg   100_3539.jpg  

100_3541.jpg   100_3540.jpg  

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Very creative solution. I hope I never have to do that...but if I do, I'll know how. Well done!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Very nice idea, as I often work alone. I have a question. I have a rotten corner in the rear of my 13' scamp. I am in the process of restoring everything, so I was thinking if I have a rotten spot, why not just replace the whole floor? I wouldn't want to worry about any additional rotting to continue beyond just repairing a rotten spot. I am curious, what is involved in removing the floor, especially the rear section? How did you separate the glassed in edges of the plywood, and prepare it for the new floor? Thanks, and thanks for the pics!
jcham1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Looks like your all in now LOL. How was the RV show?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Steve
I ripped the floor out before the show so the floor saga continues. Nick brought the queen bed model to the show, I was hoping I (DW) could see the twin bed model. We may be headed south to Pensacola later this week and I plan to swing by the factory again to look at that model.
Jeremy
I use a multi-tool with the big round metal/wood blade to cut the glass and use the shell as a guide. I cut the top lip of attaching glass and try my best to leave the lower lip as a guide and lower attaching point. I have done partial and full rear deck replacements. There is not much difference in time or effort. If you do a partial replacement I recommend the patch go from side to side for proper support. If you do a full replacement you can clean and paint the rear frame while you are at it. I guess it would help to provide more pictures or a video but when working alone on a floor job you pretty much have your hands full. Another note: Usually the rear window seal causes the floor issues, since I'm working in a shop the first thing I do is remove the rear window for access to tools and ventilation.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I think you got that idea from watching the Egyptians building the pyramids.

Great Idea to keep in mind for myself.

Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp