Scamp front seatback/upper bunk mounting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I've got an 86 13' Scamp new to me and the PO mounted it permantly in the up position using a 2x4 screwed to front wall. How is it supposed to be mounted so it can swing up and down? I have the 'factory' hinges but need to know how and to what they mount. Same with rear table/bed.
Bill White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Bill,

The original benches (front and rear) and "upper bunk" of my '88 Scamp were supported on the inner shell walls with wooden (approx. 3/4" thick particle board) braces. These braces were integrated "permanently" into the walls themselves with fiberglass, with the front bench and bunk spanning side-to-side the entire width of the shell. Then everything was covered with "rat fur."

In my case, there was NO hinge mechanism for the front upper bunk. I believe the front upper bunk was an option from the factory, requiring a separate platform and vertical support posts. I think these are available from Scamp.

In any case, call Scamp and have a chat with their parts department. They can probably hook you up.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Bill,

The original benches (front and rear) and "upper bunk" of my '88 Scamp were supported on the inner shell walls with wooden (approx. 3/4" thick particle board) braces. These braces were integrated "permanently" into the walls themselves with fiberglass, with the front bench and bunk spanning side-to-side the entire width of the shell. Then everything was covered with "rat fur."

In my case, there was NO hinge mechanism for the front upper bunk. I believe the front upper bunk was an option from the factory, requiring a separate platform and vertical support posts. I think these are available from Scamp.

In any case, call Scamp and have a chat with their parts department. They can probably hook you up.
Thanks Robert, Parts dept. sent me hinges, but weren't very helpful as to the 'how to.'
The 3/4" seems about right and will match up with the bend in the hinges. Trailer came with the mounting pieces on the seat bottom and bunk and the pipes. I just wasn't sure how it mounted or what to, on the front to support a person's weight.
Bill White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 13 ft Scamp
I do not know how the 86 scamps were done but my 09 is done as in the picture below

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer_051a.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	25010
Joe N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
[quote]I do not know how the 86 scamps were done but my 09 is done as in the picture below

Attachment 25010

Just a note about my experience with Scamp, trailer parts department,

Yesterday I found after 2 days if rain, right afterI had removed the temp tarp covering the Scamp that the roof vent was leaking. The vent was cracked in several places and po looked like they atempted to correct leak several times. Anyway, I just decided to remove and replace with new, took the vent out, no name on it measured the cutout and flange dimensions. Called Scamp parts department after looking at web page, one photo no cut out dimension, tried talking to parts clerk giving cutout dimensions, pretty curt and only wanted cover dimensions, I was really trying to ensure that parts flange will be large enough to cover my cutout, well he stated he did not know the cut out dim.
It ended with me saying " Your assuring me that this will fit in the existing cutout, well if it does not, your paying for the return shipping"
I really do not like to talk negative about any company, but I will advise most people, if your dealing with scamp parts department, make sure you know exactly what you want, because I do not think they are very helpful
suger mcallen
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Here is a close-up of a Boler upper bunk installation - maybe it will help you to visualize.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bunk_hinge.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	25023

Once you have the (wooden) lip fiberglassed into place (or maybe you already have it), then the special (kind of Z-shaped) hinges mount with one side on the top of the lip (three screws) and the other face on the bottom of the bunk cushion (three more screws). The special hinges allow the bunk to raise and lower properly - I'm assuming they are what you got from Scamp.

The metal strip you see on the front of the lip doesn't really do anything - it's just basically trim.

Let me know if I can provide any more info.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp