Scamp Insulation Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #1

Name: Keri
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Scamp Insulation Questions

My husband and I recently bought a 1982 Scamp 13. It was in great condition but we wanted to make a few changes. We discovered a leak coming from the fridge vents and that led from one thing to another. Thankfully, the leak was an easy fix! The "elephant skin" ensolite on the upper area is in excellent condition, but someone glued open-cell foam inside the under-seat storage bins. This foam had been soaking up water from the leak, so we had to remove it in the front bunk storage area. It was a real pain trying to scrape off the old foam from the fiberglass walls. The dinette under-seat storage has the open-cell foam too but it's currently dry as far as I can tell.

My questions:
Is insulation necessary inside the under-seat storage? (If so, what kind? And do we need it before our trip? We will be camping in warm weather and we don't have air conditioning)
What happens if there's no insulation on the fiberglass wall?
Should the open-cell foam be removed?

We are trying to get it ready for a vacation in 2 weeks, so I'm feeling overwhelmed by this issue. I would like to know what needs to be done before our vacation and what can wait to be worked on over time.

You can see in the photo that the open-cell foam has a plastic/vinyl backing, and the foam is not sealed around the edges and is falling down in some areas.
(the photos are upside down in my post preview)

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2240.jpg   IMG_2241.jpg  

campingKeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Take a deep breath and continue to remove any wet insulation that you described. You only need insulation in those areas if you are trying to heat the trailer in very cold weather. Some on this site have glued those interlocking foam floor pads from Home Depot and other big box stores to insulate, and have had good success. Enjoy your upcomig camping trip.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Keri,
take a look at "reflectix", it could be of some help?
Bbc ii
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The wall covering under the seats is from the factory. A milti-tool is good for scraping it off followed by a powered wire brush or twisted wire brush. 3M Spray 90 and refletix is usually used as a replacement.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp