Scamp Jalousie Window Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
I have a 1983 scamp 13'. The jaloused window on the passenger side is broken, and it looks like I cant event part fix it. Does any one know the name of these windows/ maker? It has 2 panes, the top pane is completely loose and the arm to open it is gone. Also all the knobs are gone thru out the trailer. I tried to search but only came up with two threads on seals. I did not see any of these windows listed at scamp trailer, but I have not called. thanks for the help
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, here's a link for a window operator:
http://www.dyersonline.com/Products/WCM-Re...tor__30241.aspx and you can get torque parts here, scroll down the page for more stuff:
http://www.interstatemetals.com/cat_windows2.htm

If you just need the window knobs, I remember Thomas Haney (the Skimp man!) used the knob(s) off of 20lb propane tanks that had been discarded.

Hope this helps some
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Assuming you have the rectangular jalousies that came on that era trailer, they are no longer available. There are similar windows available, but they have radiused corners (you would need to fiberglass your corners in), and they only have about 50% of the open area (only center of panes open). I happen to really like these windows, so if it were me I would try to keep them.

And, you can probably repair your existing window. The panes are replaceable. The little cranks are called "operators," and are also purchasable and replaceable, as, I believe are the arms.

We have had numerous threads detailing repairs, with parts numbers, sources, and etc. I would think that searching "jalousie" (note spelling: your spelling is not correct and would not work) would dig these threads up.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Well, here's a link for a window operator:
http://www.dyersonline.com/Products/WCM-Re...tor__30241.aspx and you can get torque parts here, scroll down the page for more stuff:
http://www.interstatemetals.com/cat_windows2.htm

If you just need the window knobs, I remember Thomas Haney (the Skimp man!) used the knob(s) off of 20lb propane tanks that had been discarded.

Hope this helps some

thanks Miss Donna, but I think I need to replace the entire window, the top pane has been ripped out and the area where the pins/pivot points of window is damaged on the sides
Old 04-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Do you have a metal fabricator or metal shop in your area? It can be amazing what someone with those skills can do. You could maybe buy the arms and operators and any other movable part and have the shop re-build the window for you. A glass shop or maybe a hardware store could make the plastic panes for you. Maybe not the cheapest option, but if you have the people, it might be the easiest. And it would keep your TT original. I have those type windows and love them! Leaving the windows open during a light rain can be heaven!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:13 AM   #6

Darnell,

I'm with you on the windows. In the trailer with them open while it rains; or, when preparing to go for a hike or whatever, never having to think "Should I close the windows? Is it going to rain?"

One note is that I think the original panes are glass.

Raya
Old 04-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Darnell,

I'm with you on the windows. In the trailer with them open while it rains; or, when preparing to go for a hike or whatever, never having to think "Should I close the windows? Is it going to rain?"

One note is that I think the original panes are glass.

Raya
thanks guys for the ideas, the pane is glass, and I think I am going to take the ahole thing to a metal fab shop that makes alum screens and windows. I did a search with the correct spelling and found several good threads on learned things suger
Old 04-03-2010, 06:20 AM   #8

Jalousies are too cool. I wish they still made them! You MIGHT try Dr. George. Since he's a recycler, they MAY have a window or parts you need, once you find out exactly what you need ..

RV Doctor George
Old 04-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Hello,
The jalousie windows in my '78 Trillium are great providing good ventilation.
I called the Scamp people in MN last week to ask what year Scamp started producing
the 16 footer with Layout 6 as I am thinking of getting a slightly larger egg. They said
that it was in 1994. He also told me that they are going to be using jalousie windows
on all the new Scamps on the sides but not on the front and back. I suspect they will
be the radius cornered ones that have a small pane of fixed glass on each side with
the opening panes in the middle. Maybe Scamp could provide a source for these?
Larry H

Hehr International has some interesting RV windows.
http://www.hehrintl.com/4800rvhome.htm
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #10

Larry,

You can already buy the radius-cornered jalousie windows through the Scamp parts department, and the price is quite attractive (I shopped around when I was looking for U-haul windows). The one potential downside is that they only have two sizes; OTOH they are the sizes that are in our trailers (Basically the size from the dinette on a 13, and another the same height about about a foot wider, IIRC.)

They do look nice with the rounded corners. On the downside, you need to do some fiberglassing if you are going to put them in to replace the older square-cornered ones, and also you only get about 1/3 of the ventilation area. I would still take them over sliders without so much as a moment's debate.

(I have seen them with wider center panes, but not readily available.)

Raya
Old 04-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #11

TrilliumRV, which is manufacturing in Los Angeles, also is using the center jalousie windows. They probably have a parts department and probably will sell parts.... like windows. The only thing is glass is expensive to ship....

TrilliumRV Gallery
Old 04-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #12

Quote:
TrilliumRV, which is manufacturing in Los Angeles, also is using the center jalousie windows. They probably have a parts department and probably will sell parts.... like windows. The only thing is glass is expensive to ship....

TrilliumRV Gallery

Thank you Miss Donna, your sure are a wealth of information. The Jalousie window saga continues,

I did send an e-mail to Dr. George, as you suggested, no help as of today. I saw a hehr sticler on the other window, so I e-mailed them, they wish to know the style or part number. So I went to Scamp and they had a fire in 2006, no records, no style, no part number. I am going to try sending a picture to hehr, unless a member might have some info on a style or part number
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #13

I would try either of these; I believe they carry operators/parts that would likely work on your windows:

www.vintagetrailersupply.com

www.interstatemetals.com
Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2003 Scamp 16 ft
Scamp should have the parts. Our 2003 16sd has the older squared jalousies and they are black not silver. Hehr is the maker on them. Exactly like our 1983 13 had. I don't know when they changed to the rounded corner units but it was after 2003. The dinette one is HUGE like 30 inches long! The only reason besides the front bath, that we changed trailers. Definitely did not want to lose the jalousies.
Dave
Dave Chatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #15

Dave,

I've been curious about your trailer, because I thought maybe Scamp had gone to the rounded corner windows before 1983, and when they were square I thought they were silver (mill finish).

I was wondering if your trailer was made special order, or if the person who purchased it had the windows saved from before (I can certainly see why one might have; they are great windows).

Have you gotten parts for those windows from Scamp? If so, which ones? Seals? Operators? Or?

I haven't noticed them on their website, but it would be fantastic if they were a source.

Raya
Old 04-07-2010, 06:33 AM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Maybe one of the RV recyclers/salvage yards listed on the link below might have what you are looking for:

http://www.myrvparks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1656
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jalousie windows, scamp