scamp lock not catching - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #15

Name: Pearl
Trailer: 13'scamp 1998
South Carolina
Yes, think u r right about the throw? latch catch. I looked it over before taking it to rv repair shop. Rivets look impossible to get to! Almost tempted to have it blow torched in half (because it is a bent over half-rounded piece) and then the piece could be formed into a longer straight piece. Just thinking of ideas! You seem to know exactly the piece I am talking about, so that's good! Basically, what I think it needs is the piece to be longer so the lock catch will be sitting deeper onto the latch? itself. Once I get unit back, will re-look at it and try to find a handyman who can figure it out for me!

Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I replaced my handle with a more modern RV style door lock, after reading a thread on this site about doing that very thing.
David when you get a chance could you please post a picture of the door catch (jam area) and the interior lockset. THANKS!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #17

South Carolina
David's door lock is the one I have been looking at here on the site! Camping World said they can't do it! What kind of latch was put on for the lock to hold onto? Surely, the old Scamp half rounded one had to be taken off. Only solution Camping World is giving me is to have a push type bolt lock put on the outside of camper to hold door in place while traveling. And, that is going to cost me $200, plus have to sign a waiver of liability in case of fire inside camper (meaning--they told me that if anyone should push the lock on the outside while I was inside--it would be dangerous.)
Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #18

Oregon
Pearl, does the door only open under tow? Does it catch and lock (with pin) when you're parked and level? I only ask because some folks have used a bungy from the interior door handle to a cabinet, etc. across the way. It just needs to be long enough to hold the door shut, but long enough you can get your arm inside the door to fasten it to the door. Your other option is to add a deadbolt.

This thread talks about all these: Door Flying open!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #19

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
David when you get a chance could you please post a picture of the door catch (jam area) and the interior lockset. THANKS!
Here are some pictures I just took of the door jam area. It's been a while since I made the modification, and my memory is "fuzzy" as to what all I had to do, and what I would have done differently if I were to do it again. I remember not being able to place the new door lock exactly where I wanted it unless I plugged the original door handle hole and re-glassed it. I never have done any finish surface fiberglass work, so I moved the lock-set just enough to cover the original hole. If I remember right, I thought if I ever did this again I would try to plug the original hole to be able to place the latch in a position where the original door jam striker plate could be used. I had to fabricate one out of 3/4" X 3/4" L-bracket stock, and sandwich the fiberglass body door opening between this L-bracket and a 3/4" flat stock piece. Notice I had to not only cut the L stock where the door latch had to pass through, but I had to "bump it out" slightly also. I was able to use rivets except for one place where I used a long bolt & nut (Probable the first one to hold all the pieces together until I could rivet them together). The door latch itself had to be spaced out slightly with small square tubing top & bottom.
If your original striker plate is not worn out, which I doubt, I would be looking for door hinges needing rebuilding or realigning the door. I would also look for fractures or bends in your frame, especially around the axle attachment points, PRIOR TO CHANGING OUT YOUR LOCK, as the PROBLEM will still be lurking causing additional repairs and adjustments.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01305.jpg   DSC01308.jpg  

DSC01307.jpg   DSC01303.jpg  

Old 04-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #20

Oregon
Thanks David. Pictures are worth a thousand words
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #21

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I believe I got my inspiration from this posting here at FGRV
New Scamp Door latch
Old 04-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=Pearl;380348]David's door lock is the one I have been looking at here on the site! Camping World said they can't do it!

Some places don't want to take the time to perform a custom modification, they are just parts changers. Plus custom work takes time, and some thought, and maybe some trial & error work too, which all translates to so much money per hour and the job becomes cost prohibitive. Modifications I have done to our camper would not have been affordable if I had to pay someone to do them. If you can find some creative handyman type person that is willing to work with you, they can most likely solve the problem. Maybe some cranky old guy like me if there is one in your area who has mechanical, fabrication, and machinist experience.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #23

South Carolina
Thanks for all the info, guys and gal! Love David's job! And, Bob, guess I will start start looking for a 'cranky old man' with some knowledge. Just feel kike I am putting a lot of money out there to the repair shop and they can't do the job correctly! I am pretty handy for a loan female, but all of this just has me perplexed and uncertain. Nothing that I can attempt to do.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #24

South Carolina
Door only comes open while traveling. And, I have thought of the bungie cord idea. thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
My point is that there must be other retired guys out there with some mechanical experience, are campers themselves, and don't mind helping out a fellow camper with a problem. And don't need to charge much if anything because we don't have the overhead expenses of a regular business. In the 40 years that I've owned campers I have never had to pay anyone for repairs other than mounting tires. Same with almost all work on my vehicles, and then the last major repair I had done on a car they screwed it up and I had to fix it. I will admit that I would like to get paid what the big shops charge for simple jobs, but I can't bring myself to ask for that much. I did use a bungee at one time on our old popup camper to keep the door shut while traveling until I made a better door latch, I have a good size bungee collection and they can be used for all kinds of things.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #26

Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
Hi Pearl, mine was doing that too, after messing around with it for a while, a bungee going from the curtain rod on the door down to the handle, pulling the handle up a little bit, "fixed" it. Been on there for two years now, it hasn't come open since, and I don't have to take the bungee on and off all the time either.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #27

South Carolina
Doghaus, my door doesn't have a curtain rod over the window. When hanging curtains there, I had to pin them in place. But, appreciate response. I went ahead and let the camping repair shop put a push bolt on exterior door and it didn't fly open on the way home. The interior lock not catching on the striker plate deep enough to be secure is next issue. Will try to figure out a bungee cord type set-up from the door handle to somewhere tight within the camper. Again, thanks.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #28

New York
I've put a bungee on the outside door handle to either the wheel opening or down under to the frame to keep the door on our popup from opening when on the road.

Tags
scamp