Scamp Mods and Options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
Scamp Mods and Options

Howdy,

I'm leaning towards Jalousie windows when I order my new future egg and possible a Scamp. Any negatives to Jalousie windows? It would be nice to have the ventilation while it rains and minimizing the chances of water getting into the camper.

It seems from the photos that the Scamp windows are not tinted. Has anyone tinted theirs? There have been a few photos I've noticed where the Scamp owners put reflective covers in the windows also.

Has anyone put one of those fiberglass storage boxes that for example Escape offers as an option on their Scamp. The box is located near the hitch and mounted up against the front wall of the trailer? It would be nice to have the additional storage
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Additional Storage.

I'm sure someone has done it on a Scamp. Harley did it on his Eggcamper. There are a lot of different trapazoidal boxes in both plastic and metal. We have considered adding one but figure most of the space would be taken up by our battery and propane tank

I have adde 8 external storage locations to my Scamp 16, some are for relatively rarely accessed items, others for frequently accessed items.

We have a large rear bumper box that contains leveling blocks, water hose, extension cord, and tools. This is by far our most used external space.

Under the rear bumper box we have two plastic fence posts. One contains a long sewer hose and sewer donut. The second contains our bumper close line and our awning posts.

Under the floor we have 5 storage boxes attached to the floor bottom. Two of the boxes are larger (each approximately 10x18x7"). These two boxes are on slides that drop down with the boxes sliding to the trailer sides. Neither box is visible to a casual observer. These boxes contain different items depending on where we're heading. Some times we have a device that allows us to dump thru a garden hose, mostly we just have less used tools but stuff we need when gone a long time.

We have three smaller boxes (each about 10x7x 3") One contains a long extension cord, useful when we're camped at our son's house. Another contains miscellaneous electrical parts. The last contains plumbing parts, backup bungees, ....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
One tiny disadvantage with Jalousie windows is that they jut out a bit on the outside. One must be careful not to go too close to the windows when they are open as the corners are sharp. That said, it is not enough reason NOT to get them. (I realized that's a double negative.) Let's be clear, I vote FOR Jalousie windows. They are easy to open and close (I can't say that about the rear sliding window on my Scamp.) and provided needed ventilation no matter the weather!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:51 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Gilda,
If you have trouble sliding your rear windo go to Walmart and get some silicon spray in the red can. Spray some in the tracks. Mine slide great after that.

We had jalousies and loved them decause they really open. The down side is when closed on the Trans Labrador highway the let dust in.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp