Scamp or Boler? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #15

Name: Dianne
Trailer: 17 ft Casita
Saskatchewan
Hi April,

I think you have a Scamp. And not for the other reasons that have been given. I've seen Bolers with tail lights not recessed and with different door latches. But Bolers don't have the triple screws on the door hinge like your trailer does (they only have two). So, unless there is evidence that the hinges have been replaced, it wouldn't be a Boler.

Dianne

Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #16

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
I am not sure what you mean by tripple screws on the door...

Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #17

Name: Dianne
Trailer: 17 ft Casita
Saskatchewan
When I look at the hinge that holds the door to the body, it is triangular in shape and has three screws or bolts that hold the hinge to the body. The Boler hinge is a different design and has only two bolts. Three is better. We are thinking of replacing ours.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You have a Scamp, April. Although I like the thread. Dan
Old 10-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #19

Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
April,
I think Dan is right about the rear lights...the older SCAMPS, those in the 70's at least, all have the back lights mounted onto the back fiberglass and not recessed into the fiberglass. I have a '77 Scamp and the lights were mounted on the back and not recessed. There also is no jelousie (or however you spell it!) window on the front door of the 70'ish Scamps...they have a large oval door window that pushes out the full oval glass with brackets. The Bolers seem to have the louvre'd or jelousie'd door window. I would bet, modestly of course, one $1 on it being a BOLER and not a Scamp.
Let us all know what you find out.
Barbara
Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #20

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Quote:
April,
I think Dan is right about the rear lights...the older SCAMPS, those in the 70's at least, all have the back lights mounted onto the back fiberglass and not recessed into the fiberglass. I have a '77 Scamp and the lights were mounted on the back and not recessed. There also is no jelousie (or however you spell it!) window on the front door of the 70'ish Scamps...they have a large oval door window that pushes out the full oval glass with brackets. The Bolers seem to have the louvre'd or jelousie'd door window. I would bet, modestly of course, one $1 on it being a BOLER and not a Scamp.
Let us all know what you find out.
Barbara
I have an 81 Scamp and it has the exact windows as April's on both the Dinette and the Door. Side view looks identical to mine and rear taillights are surface mounted.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #21

Name: B
Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Oregon
Quote:
I have an 81 Scamp and it has the exact windows as April's on both the Dinette and the Door. Side view looks identical to mine and rear taillights are surface mounted.

Greg,
How interesting.
We agree on the rear surface mounted Scamp lights.
My '77 Scamp has the jelousie dinette side windows but the door window is a huge vertical oval with a full push out window and the rear trailer window has 3 panels, with the middle panel also having the brackets that match the front door and push out the middle section of the rear window. Interesting that I have two push out windows (door and rear) and then 2 crank out jelousie side dinette windows.
Now, I would LIKE TO FIND out a bit more of the Scamp history...when they tried this window, when they made it a bit larger, etc. VERY INTERESTING in the WORLD OF EGG!
BB
Old 10-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Quote:
Greg,
How interesting.
We agree on the rear surface mounted Scamp lights.
My '77 Scamp has the jelousie dinette side windows but the door window is a huge vertical oval with a full push out window and the rear trailer window has 3 panels, with the middle panel also having the brackets that match the front door and push out the middle section of the rear window. Interesting that I have two push out windows (door and rear) and then 2 crank out jelousie side dinette windows.
Now, I would LIKE TO FIND out a bit more of the Scamp history...when they tried this window, when they made it a bit larger, etc. VERY INTERESTING in the WORLD OF EGG!
BB
Do you have a pic you could post of the oval door window?? Love to see it.
They use to put those in conversion vans, wondering if someone modded it in....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 PM   #23

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York

Ok,
My '76 Scamp had a louvered window in the door, a single pane. But it had some work done to it before I bought it, so maybe it was a replacement?
Marjie
Old 10-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
My 1976 Scamp also has a single louvered door window. Most I have seen from the 1970's have this. Hehr windows here in Los Angeles did not switch to the radiused windows until the early 1980's when they went with a different manufacturing process of bending the window frame around a jig instead of wending four square pieces together.

I suspect the oval door window was a replacement at some point in the trailer's life.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
and April - your trailer looks like a Scamp to me...
Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 PM   #26

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
As I understand it, the earlier Scamps (before they "squared off" the rear window (in... the late 80s?) were made from the same mold as Bolers were, so the overall body shape is no clue. Windows seemed to vary also.

As for taillights, I thought the Scamps have always been (and still are) surface-mounted, whereas only the very first few years of Bolers were (late 1960s and maybe very early 70s?). Subsequent Bolers all had the inset round taillights.

My 1974 Boler has a square metal plate on the driver's side, about halfway back and near the belly seam, that has the model and serial number engraved on it. This information, along with appliance and other info, is also (factory) typed on a piece of paper affixed to the inside of the forwardmost kitchen cupboard door. (Mine was made by Neonex in Winnipeg.)

Raya
Old 10-30-2008, 08:49 AM   #27

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
I really appreciate all the feedback!! Either way we are very happy with our trailer!! So Scamp it is!

Tags
boler, scamp