Scamp owners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2006, 04:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Hi people.
I'm sitting here in Birch Bay Wa, on our first "extended" trip in the Scamp. It will be the longest and furthest we've ventured since we bought it. We were sitting around wondering how we could gain some more space (ha ha) and looked at the wall over the micro wave. Donna, I think you have the same model as ours, do you know if we can cut some wall out and make a bookshelf up there?
Another topic. Peole were wondering if insulated window covers help with condensation. The answer.......not much! I made some window pad-like covers with velcro tabs, and attach them over the windows to the rat fur. Keeps it dark in the night, not a problem, and the condensation goes on the pads, also not a problem, but still quite a bit of dripping. We also bought a Davis air drier from Camper World that we're trying out. We had it under the bed last night and no condensation under the seat cushions in the morning, so it helped there at least.
We also hadn't taken the trailer out in the rain before. Nasty shock when we arrived at our destination (10 hours later.........all rain) We found a large puddle under one of the benches, presumably from the back window, though we can't be sure. How on earth do you find out where it's leaking? There's spaces around the window caulking stuff, that might be the problem, but it's the bench seat that's wet, so could all that have dripped down the rat fur without that getting obviously wet? Hmmmmmmmmmm.
We cooked inside with all the heat turned high drying them out before bedtime. I knew I brought extra towels for some reason. What an experience this is I could really simpathize with Gina!
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Christine, I won't be much help regarding gaining more space. My Scamp is the deluxe model and I'm certain the configuration is a bit different than yours. I have the side bathroom model and larger than standard back bed/dinette. In fact my micro is in a cabinet under the stove.

Some one mentioned using that clear plastic stuff on the windows...the stuff that you put on with a hair dryer and basically create a double pane window...that's what I was wondering if it worked. I guess you wouldn't really know how much your insulated window covers really work unless you don't use it on one window...and who'd want to do that? Any help is better than no help.

If you're getting a leak below the back window...check the rubber gasket and make certain it meets at the seam. I had a small leak in both the front and back windows because the gasket was gaping about 1/8 inch. Doesn't seem like much but was enough to allow water inside the trailer. I filled the gap with black windshield sealer and it hasn't leaked since. I've purchased new gasket from Scamp and will replace before summer. If you can't fix it right now, use duct tape and get the tape off as soon as you get home....don't let it stay on the surface of the gel coat...the glue turns to concrete!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft
I want to WELCOME YOU TO WASHINGTON.....Dont worry.... the rain will stop! June or July most likely....

I would think the puddle is most likely from one of the windows or between the window frame and fiberglass.

I would say take a garden hose and spray the trailer from front to rear with someone inside checking for leaks.... good fat stream of water all around the windows from front to back (of trailer) should be odvious if its very bad?
The RED NECK in me would say get one of your husbands friends to ride in back on the highway in a rainstorm.... "Most likely unsafe and i will surely hear some replys about this one"
I would think you could be the observer in the trailer..... But with my limited experiance i find my wife would be mutch more comfortable in the cab of the truck telling me how to drive with her foot firmly applying the "Co driver foot petal"

Yea.... cant be your wife... has to be someone that realy trusts you're driveing.....

The bookshelf mod sounds nice.... Please post picks so i can figure out where UP THERE above the microwave is?

Please enjoy your stay here in Wa. When you came across the border did they give you your complimentery "SWIM FINNS?"

Ron
Ronny W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Quote:
I want to WELCOME YOU TO WASHINGTON.....Dont worry.... the rain will stop! June or July most likely....

I would think the puddle is most likely from one of the windows or between the window frame and fiberglass.

I would say take a garden hose and spray the trailer from front to rear with someone inside checking for leaks.... good fat stream of water all around the windows from front to back (of trailer) should be odvious if its very bad?
The RED NECK in me would say get one of your husbands friends to ride in back on the highway in a rainstorm.... "Most likely unsafe and i will surely hear some replys about this one"
I would think you could be the observer in the trailer..... But with my limited experiance i find my wife would be mutch more comfortable in the cab of the truck telling me how to drive with her foot firmly applying the "Co driver foot petal"

Yea.... cant be your wife... has to be someone that realy trusts you're driveing.....

The bookshelf mod sounds nice.... Please post picks so i can figure out where UP THERE above the microwave is?

Please enjoy your stay here in Wa. When you came across the border did they give you your complimentery "SWIM FINNS

Ron
You know, Ron, I really think we just brought the rain with us! Hwy 126 at Florence had been closing every high tide with flooding, we've had so much rain. We actually had to check the tides before we left!
We're off to Canada tomorrow, hopefully. I can't imagine riding in the back, but I see your point. Maybe we can make checks more often.
We've got some white sealant stuff, but not sure if it will work in the rain. I'll check the gasket too, Donna, didn't think of a gap. Thanks,
Soggy TTFN
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft
I cant wait to get back to Florance, Or.

Most of the nicest people i know live in Oregon..... Its wierd to have your gasoline pumped for you though.......

Hope your trip goes nice.... and catch some good weather on the way back..... It realy is nice in Wa.
(and im not only saying that becouse i have webbed feet )

Have a great trip.
Ronny W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
...check the rubber gasket and make certain it meets at the seam. I had a small leak in both the front and back windows because the gasket was gaping about 1/8 inch. Doesn't seem like much but was enough to allow water inside the trailer.
That is what my problem turned out to be this last weekend. I'm going to seal those gaps & check it out.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
Most of the nicest people i know live in Oregon..... Its wierd to have your gasoline pumped for you though.......
Yeah, it's horrible to have someone else get wet and smelly and to have to pay less per gallon for the priveledge

You guys are making me cry. Rain. On the Orgeon coast. Never seen such a thing

Christine, you are duplicating my experiences of the last two weeks.

I temporarily stopped my window leaks by using foil tape all along the bottoms and sides of the frames where I knew stuff was coming in. Then I used it all around the top edges on the outside. Does not look elegant, but it stopped most of the water. I had repairs to do on the roof vent as well. Just wipe the gel coat outside, the foil type tape sticks well once most of the water is wiped away.

I found that the white caulk, despite it saying it can be used on wet surfaces and is supposedly usable in wet conditions.. is not. I have a ruined paint job where it turned into mush after a day of drying and then being exposed to rain. It oozed and dribbled. The inside condensation almost liquified the stuff.

I also got some sill sealer faom. The long blue pads that are used to place under sills in cnstruction to isolate wood from ground. I ran it all around where my cushions met the walls, and it did a good job of keeping the condensation down at the perimeter.

Burros have glass walls, so the drip factor is greater. In conditions like you are seeing now, the best thing you can do is go to the 99 cents store, buy several rolls of cheap paper towels and KEEP wiping.

I found that the condensation was only extreme when the buckets were dumping, and at all other times, it was only a minor annoyance.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:42 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's an inside-out approach to finding leaks:

Overpressure Leak Test

Rig a vacuum cleaner to blow into the egg and paint soapy water on the outside, looking for bubbles.

Donna, maybe that should go into Helpful-Links under Leak Testing

Another routine check is to be sure that the "weep" holes on the sliding windows are clear of foreign material (use piece of weedwhacker cord).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Rain-X makes anti-fog wipes that will stop the condensation on glass windows. One wipe was enough to treat all of my truck windows as well as the windows and mirror in the Casita. They also make glass cleaner with anti-fog. I haven't tried it but can't help wondering if it would stop condensation on the fiberglass walls in a Burro.
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp