Scamp propane hook up help needed please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13ft Scamp
Wisconsin
Scamp propane hook up help needed please

The trailer we just got had a few issue.I got the light working after a few hours of searching and playing lol..ya right.. Now the propane hookup is a mess so not sure what i need to get the tank hooked up. And how to attach it to trailer obv. Im missing some braces or something.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
image4.jpg  
Mcmarkrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #2

Wisconsin
Here is another pic not sure how to post more than one at at time in a posting.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The unconnected end of the regulator has a fitting in it which goes directly into the tank valve; this would leave the regulator horizontal and supported by the tank. That's fine, but unfortunately that regulator has a vent (the screened part) which must face downward, which it wouldn't be.

There are two fixes. Either
  1. replace the regulator with one that has the vent on the side so it can be turned down, or
  2. mount the regulator vertically on a bracket or the trailer body, and replace the input fitting with a hose to the tank.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
In addition to what Brian said above, you need a propane tank mounting bracket to safely attach the tank to the tongue of your trailer. Note that the tank to regulator thread is a left hand thread, so you would turn it counterclockwise to tighten it.

Example: http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Single...-p/66-1173.htm
Old 08-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Mark
I just bought the task hold down brackets and a regulator with mounting bracket and tank hose included from Scamp the other day. The parts were cheaper than a local RV store. Since Scamp recently changed their website and they now seem to be associated with UPS for shipping. It looks like the shipping on parts is a little more reasonable and you can track your shipment now.
Eddie
http://shop.scamptrailers.com/parts-store/lp-gas.html
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
As with many things that can go boom, if you don't know how take it to somebody that does. Lives and trailers are worth more than the cost to have a certified propane person take care of it for you.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Mark
I just bought the task hold down brackets and a regulator with mounting bracket and tank hose included from Scamp the other day. The parts were cheaper than a local RV store. Since Scamp recently changed their website and they now seem to be associated with UPS for shipping. It looks like the shipping on parts is a little more reasonable and you can track your shipment now.
Eddie
LP Gas
I have o e of the hold down brackets shown at scamp and i dont get it..its to short to hold down the tank..am i missing something?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
A long bolt (2-3 inches) goes through the hole in the bottom of the bracket then through the hole in the frame then you put the nut on it and bolt it down. The bracket does not bolt down tight to the frame. Some people use a wing nut to easily undo the bracket. I use a nylock nut and I have to use a wrench to remove the tank.
Eddie
http://shop.scamptrailers.com/parts-...ch-detail.html
See the long bolt. I would guess it is 1/4 X 3" bolt
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
A long bolt (2-3 inches) goes through the hole in the bottom of the bracket then through the hole in the frame then you put the nut on it and bolt it down. The bracket does not bolt down tight to the frame. Some people use a wing nut to easily undo the bracket. I use a nylock nut and I have to use a wrench to remove the tank.
Eddie
LP Gas : Single Gas Tank Hold Down Strap (Priced Each)
See the long bolt. I would guess it is 1/4 X 3" bolt
Do you have a picture of this holding the tank? It just so short I cant see how it will reach the top of the cylinder to hold it tight. Probably gonna feel stupid when I get it , but I teally dont. Lol
Old 08-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Not to hijack this thread but I'm wondering why the vent on the regulator has to point down, rather than sideways?
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
Not to hijack this thread but I'm wondering why the vent on the regulator has to point down, rather than sideways?
I think it's just weather protection - you don't want rain in there, and you do want any water that gets in to drain out.

This style is available in three versions which are identical other than the vent orientation - one so the reg is vertical (input stage on top), and a left and right pair for horizontal mounting in whichever orientation suits the mounting provisions and hose locations.

If the regulator is not in a compartment (such as under a motorhome or in a propane tank locker in a fifth-wheel trailer), there should be a plastic cover snapped onto the regulator (example at Vintage Trailer Supply).

I don't think this is a hijack - it directly addresses what the original poster needs to do to properly connect his system, which is what he is asking.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Top hook of strap hooks on bottom of handle hole, then like Eddie posted us long bolt through angle, on mine I double nutted the bolt (bolt through angle, tightened with nut then strap, then nylock bolt to tighten strap)
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #13

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
Good question.
It's obvious it's been used in the horizontal position for quit awhile and the trailer's still there.
I bet if we took a survey there would be many mounted if the horizontal position.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
It's obvious it's been used in the horizontal position for quit awhile and the trailer's still there..
It might never have been used - there's no mounting bracket for the propane tank.

On the other hand, it might have been used without incident for years. That doesn't make it right, and it's easy to make it so it is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I bet if we took a survey there would be many mounted if the horizontal position.
Sure - for one thing, lots of regulators are designed to be used in a horizontal position.
For instance, my motorhome has a factory-installed regulator that looks just like that - except that the vent position is rotated 90 degrees from that - which is mounted directly to the tank (just like that one is set up to do).

I'm not complaining, but I suspect that the cost to Mark of the right hardware (either a differently oriented regulator or a hose and bracket) would be substantially less than the value of the time we have spent debating whether or not the installation should be done properly.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #15

Wisconsin
Ok to recap if I get a hose and mount the regulater to the trailer frame it will be postioned properly and safe to use.. I will also nee a propane tank holdown mount to secure the tank to the trailer..can these item get bought at an RV center we areplanning on camping thur, fri ,sat for the first rime with or without propane lol. But can pick something up on the way as ordering may not arrive in time,
Thanks all
Old 08-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmarkrazz View Post
Ok to recap if I get a hose and mount the regulater to the trailer frame it will be postioned properly and safe to use.. I will also nee a propane tank holdown mount to secure the tank to the trailer..can these item get bought at an RV center we areplanning on camping thur, fri ,sat for the first rime with or without propane lol. But can pick something up on the way as ordering may not arrive in time,
Thanks all
Quite frankly I don't believe anything will be safe until it's been inspected by a certified technician.
The cost of getting all the lines and appliances inspected is small compared to the cost of the trailer and you and your family's life.
If everything is in good shape propane is safe and easy to use, if there's leaks, stuff in the lines, cracks in the fire boxes, or any of many other defects it can be deadly.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Quite frankly I don't believe anything will be safe until it's been inspected by a certified technician.
The cost of getting all the lines and appliances inspected is small compared to the cost of the trailer and you and your family's life.
If everything is in good shape propane is safe and easy to use, if there's leaks, stuff in the lines, cracks in the fire boxes, or any of many other defects it can be deadly.
Ya was planning on going by a RV center and having them check it put just trying to figure what is going to be needed and the cost pre..
Thanks
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Ya was planning on going by a RV center and having them check it put just trying to figure what is going to be needed and the cost pre..
Thanks
I'm really glad to hear that. The RV center should be able to give you an estimate even over the phone.
Enjoy your camping trip(s). Once you get the propane all working right it'll be a real pleasure to use that trailer. We've had ours for almost 8 years, the last four years we've spent almost 100 days each of the years in one trip.
I'm sure you'll make lots of good memories.
We use ours year around.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Ok to recap if I get a hose and mount the regulater to the trailer frame it will be postioned properly and safe to use..
As long as you use a bracket which holds the regulator the right way up, it sounds like you're good to go.

Quote:
A customer armed with an understanding of the work - excellent!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Do you have a picture of this holding the tank? It just so short I cant see how it will reach the top of the cylinder to hold it tight. Probably gonna feel stupid when I get it , but I teally dont. Lol
If you go to the Scamp website and click on Showroom the slide show will come up showing trailers with the bracket attached to the tank. As others have indicated it does not hook over the top of the tank but instead it hooks over the opening at the bottom of the handle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, scamp