Scamp rat fur: help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2007, 08:06 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Hello everybody,
I want to install a Maxair far in my 1989 Scamp 16 Ft. To do so, I need to bring wiring to to the ceiling vent. Has anybody done that? How do I get underneath the rat fur or the insualtion?
One solution would be to cut the rat fur with avery sharp knive and hope to get a nice finish gluing it back on the wires. But I have doubts. The other solution would be the same but covering the seam with new rat fur bought from Scamp, but will the color be the same?

Any suggestions are welcomed?

Thanks in advance.

Andre the guy from North.
andre robillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:16 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had to cut my insolite in my Boler to get wire to my Fantastic Fan.The cut line shows but i am happy with my job.
I think if your real carefull you could possibly do same thing.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
If the vent was already there, there is a slight possibility that the wiring may be under the rat fur already. When I installed one on my '89 Casita, I was pleasantly surprised that it was already in location just to the right of the exisiting non-powered vent. I pulled the fur loose just enough to retrieve the wiring. Once it was done, I glued it back. There is a spray headliner adhesive at the auto parts store that works very well.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
After cutting the hole in the roof of our Scamp, I was able to run a coat hanger between the rat fur and foil insulation from the fan to one of the upper cabinets (maybe 18"?) without any trouble. Fished the wiring into the cabinet and made all my connections there.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Finally, I am Happy that it rains today. i would have attempted to do the job today if the sun would shine.

Thanks everybody. Now I know where to begin thnks to Suz. And how to coninue if I am not lucky and the wiring is not already there. And the worst that can happen to me will be to follow Al & Cindy's example, Which does not seem that worst.

Again, Thanks EVERYBODY.

andre robillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Sadly, Scamp does not wire appliances that weren't ordered with the trailer, so the wires won't be there. As suggested by Pine Cone Don a long time ago, Casita owners can see the exact path of the wiring by shining a strong light down from outside at night, kinda like candling an egg

What I did on my Scamp was use a small electrician's fish tape to push a tunnel thru the Reflectix bubbles between the ratfur and fiberglass and bring it inside the overhead cabinet (wedged free a bit with a screwdriver) to pick up the lighting wires that run thru the cabinet under tape. An alternative is to put the wire outside the ratfur and cover it with some Velcro.

Be sure to allow plenty of excess ratfur for trim on the fan hole...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Fish tape works great. I used mine to run some new wireing to various places in my Scamp. It burrows right under the Rat Fur.

Quote:
Hello everybody,
I want to install a Maxair far in my 1989 Scamp 16 Ft. To do so, I need to bring wiring to to the ceiling vent. Has anybody done that? How do I get underneath the rat fur or the insualtion?
One solution would be to cut the rat fur with avery sharp knive and hope to get a nice finish gluing it back on the wires. But I have doubts. The other solution would be the same but covering the seam with new rat fur bought from Scamp, but will the color be the same?

Any suggestions are welcomed?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp