Scamp rear jack problems - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-24-2016, 10:13 AM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
With these stabilizers practice and patience pays off. As suggested already I lower my front before extending the stabilizers. If your on an uneven sight eyeball the level you want than raise the front jack until your level. I think the main thing is to realize they are stabilizers and not jacks.
Darral T. 'jerk' was enough to explain your experience, 'old' is something everyone (or the lucky ones) grasp sooner or later.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #16

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
It wasnt a jab against the "older" population as I'm old myself. It was a point that has been discussed in other groups MANY times about this same person. He was believed to be an older family member biding his time and didnt care how he treated others (and there's been 10-15 more posts through the years about the SAME treatment). Fortunately for me, I dont mind reading/studying to figure something out. But there's been many people that go there knowing basically nothing about an RV and knew about as much about their new Scamp when they left as they did before they arrived. Hopefully he's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
With these stabilizers practice and patience pays off. As suggested already I lower my front before extending the stabilizers. If your on an uneven sight eyeball the level you want than raise the front jack until your level. I think the main thing is to realize they are stabilizers and not jacks.
Darral T. 'jerk' was enough to explain your experience, 'old' is something everyone (or the lucky ones) grasp sooner or later.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #17
ASW

Name: Ann
Trailer: Scamp 13 foot
California
As a new user to this forum I am amazed and grateful for the many helpful responses. For now we are using the car scissors jack in the middle of the bumper to raise it in order to raise and lower the Scamp jacks. The metal rod was too difficult. In the future the stabilizers may be the best solution for me.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:57 AM   #18

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Ann,
I hope you aren't making the same mistake I was with my first camper and using the stabilizers as "jacks". I used to stick the rod in the hole and jack the back up a couple of clicks. The type used on Scamps and most small campers are simply meant to stabilize the camper from tipping, and just need to be dropped to the ground. Some have mentioned lowering the tongue a little from level, dropping the stabilizers to the ground, and then raising the tongue back to a level position. That works for us.
You should never need to poke the rod through the hole and "jack" the stabilizers up. I believe the only purpose of having the rod is to enable releasing the stabilizers so they can be stowed. I never have to use my rod since I just lower the tongue when breaking camp and that relieves the pressure on the stabilizers.
It always helps to put blocks under the stabilizers so they don't have to be extended too far, since the more extension they have, the less stable the camper will be.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #19
ASW

Name: Ann
Trailer: Scamp 13 foot
California
Yes I did initially make the mistake of using the bar as a jack.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #20

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Good video from Arizona Eileen. This Casita has the same stabilizers as a Scamp.
http://youtu.be/EzWRYHC-sFg

Ken
Old 03-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #21

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 16 Ft layout 6
Wisconsin
Scamp Jacks (Stabilizer() issues

I concur with all of the statements on the post. Clean and painted stsbiliers work very good. I have also sprayed them with a silicone spray which will stay on the painted surface longer than just WD 40 and will not pick up road dirt which cause the parts not to function correctly. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
In case you want to read even more about the proper use of stabilizer jacks... this hot off the presses:
How to Stabilize Your RV - RV Life

Tags
scamp