Scamp Rewire Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 1980 16 ft Scamp (Restored)
Registry
Scamp Rewire Question

Rewire of 1980 Scamp:
The section between front bench and LH wheel well (under bath and stove area): I plan to run under floor in PVC conduit. Reasoning is, the wiring is in too tight to pull, and the (marker light) wiring is glued behind the elephant skin. Any pros/cons on this idea? I pulled a 110V wire earlier this year to install a front outlet, it almost tore the wiring insulation off to get it through. Any ideas on an alternate option? Also, would anyone have information that shows what AWG to use for the rewire? Will the 7-wire insulated/color-coded wire satisfy the AWG requirements (Mfgr'd by Deka)? The below photos demonstrate why I'm rewiring!
Attached Thumbnails
P1010135.JPG   P1010138.JPG  

P1010147.JPG  
Lawrence W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I know the battery wiring on mine uses 12AWG to the converter. I purchased some 10AWG last week and planned to install that for a bit better capacity between the tongue and converter. I was having a problem running a 12 volt CPAP machine and initially thought it was the weak 12AWG wiring causing too much voltage drop, but after checking the connections behind the converter, I discovered Scamp ran several ground wires off the main 12V negative wire by using those ScothLok type connectors (which I dislike) and I think the ScothLok type connectors actually cut into some of the 12AWG wiring, thus diminishing it's capacity. I disconnected all the ScothLok type connectors and ran the wires to a grounding block I purchased instead, and my CPAP runs fine now even before I've run the 10AWG, so maybe the 12AWG is fine after all.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 1980 16 ft Scamp (Restored)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggerty View Post
I know the battery wiring on mine uses 12AWG to the converter. I purchased some 10AWG last week and planned to install that for a bit better capacity between the tongue and converter. I was having a problem running a 12 volt CPAP machine and initially thought it was the weak 12AWG wiring causing too much voltage drop, but after checking the connections behind the converter, I discovered Scamp ran several ground wires off the main 12V negative wire by using those ScothLok type connectors (which I dislike) and I think the ScothLok type connectors actually cut into some of the 12AWG wiring, thus diminishing it's capacity. I disconnected all the ScothLok type connectors and ran the wires to a grounding block I purchased instead, and my CPAP runs fine now even before I've run the 10AWG, so maybe the 12AWG is fine after all.

John
Thanks for your feedback. I've found the same problem with ScotchLok...I used a terminal block. I purchased 7-strand-colored/insulated cable for my total rewire project, run the (16ga & 14ga) wiring to lights, etc. from there whenever possible. Is there any connectors that are an alternative to Scotchlok? Excuse me. I meant Scothlok...
Lawrence W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence W View Post
Is there any connectors that are an alternative to Scotchlok?
I'm not sure how you're using the Scotchloks in this case, but I agree that they are not a good way to go. I like a high-quality crimp connector with built in heat-shrink/glue. Something like a 3m or Ancor brand (used in marine applications). Also of course the crimp has to be made well (but you probably know this if you are already doing wiring).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Lawrence
I use this junction box on my work trailers and plan on using one on a 13 Scamp I'm working on. I will also be installing a 7 pin molded pigtail on the trailer. This will help clean up the mess under the front seat.
Eddie
This Old Trailer: Installation of a Junction Box Video | etrailer.com
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp