Scamp Rivet and Bolt Count - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Thee Jimbo's Avatar
 
Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Posts: 308
Registry
Scamp Rivet and Bolt Count

I have a 1980 twelve four Scamp and I want to replace all the nuts bolts and rivets (including snap-caps) that protrude through the shell.

I thought there was a list here somewhere with a listing of quantities and sizes, or does somebody have an inventory from personal experience.

Thanks!!!!!
__________________

__________________
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Scamp parts sells a complete kit with a full set of parts based on the trailer being worked on. Contact them by phone tomorrow and they will tell you what you need to order.
__________________

__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Thee Jimbo's Avatar
 
Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Posts: 308
Registry
Thanks Bob. Now that you mention it I do remember they have those. Two concerns --while the scamps look similar over the generations i know there are subtle variances and 2 the shipping costs from scamp. I'm worried ill pay $15 in shipping for five bucks in parts ha ha
__________________
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
papa-t's Avatar
 
Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Posts: 969
Yea thats a problem with buying parts from Scamp. I always try to encourage new Scamp owners to make a list and buy all needed parts. Your right; if you need a $5 part it might cost $15 to ship.
__________________
“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
I'd ask for an extra 25% parts count anyway, just because I will drop some, the dog/cat/grandchild will eat some, and I will need some spares in the future.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Thee Jimbo's Avatar
 
Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Posts: 308
Registry
Thanks Bob. That might help!!
__________________
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Perry J's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Posts: 975
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Go to pro-dec.com and click on snap caps and you will find the 2 sizes you need.
The caps and bases are separate order #s.
Much less expensive than Scamp and the postage is less than a dollar.
The Acorn nuts are available at any hardware store as are the rivets.
Just take a rivet and find the size the rivet fits in.
I just went out to my garage and looked for the rivet sizes and can only find a box of assorted sizes so I'm going by memory.
If I'm wrong I hope someone chimes in and corrects me.
Curtain rod holders are 1/8 diameter by 38 x 1/2 grip range.
The rest are 3/16 x 3/8x1/2 grip range.

I have completely re-riveted a 16' Scamps and just finished a complete re-rivet on a 13'.
I have a Harbor Freight air operated riveter which is around $40.00.
It makes the job a lot easier if your going to do every rivet.
It's replaced rivets on at least 8 Scamps that I've rebuilt over the last 7 years.
Scamp prices are to high and the shipping is atrocious.
If you can't find what you need locally you can usually find it on eBay.
__________________
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Thee Jimbo's Avatar
 
Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Posts: 308
Registry
Perry they'd exactly what I'm
Looking for. Thanks.
__________________
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
See if there's anything in this thread to help you: Scamp Rivet Size List
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Thee Jimbo's Avatar
 
Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Posts: 308
Registry
Awesome as ways Donna!!
__________________
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Glad to help Jimbo, always
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
FTTRV's Avatar
 
Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Posts: 649
Scamp/Casita caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Go to pro-dec.com and click on snap caps and you will find the 2 sizes you need.
The caps and bases are separate order #s.
Much less expensive than Scamp and the postage is less than a dollar.
The Acorn nuts are available at any hardware store as are the rivets.
Just take a rivet and find the size the rivet fits in.
I just went out to my garage and looked for the rivet sizes and can only find a box of assorted sizes so I'm going by memory.
If I'm wrong I hope someone chimes in and corrects me.
Curtain rod holders are 1/8 diameter by 38 x 1/2 grip range.
The rest are 3/16 x 3/8x1/2 grip range.

I have completely re-riveted a 16' Scamps and just finished a complete re-rivet on a 13'.
I have a Harbor Freight air operated riveter which is around $40.00.
It makes the job a lot easier if your going to do every rivet.
It's replaced rivets on at least 8 Scamps that I've rebuilt over the last 7 years.
Scamp prices are to high and the shipping is atrocious.
If you can't find what you need locally you can usually find it on eBay.
I stock the large caps for Casita's and have 2 packages of small caps.
Chuck
__________________
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:24 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Perry J's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Posts: 975
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
I stock the large caps for Casita's and have 2 packages of small caps.
Chuck
That's good to know.
It's always good to buy from a supporter.

John

PS If I take on another rebuild you have my business.
__________________
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK
Originally Posted by FTTRV
I stock the large caps for Casita's and have 2 packages of small caps.
Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
That's good to know.
It's always good to buy from a supporter.

John

PS If I take on another rebuild you have my business.
Support small business owners that support all of us with all molded towables!
Attached Images
 
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Snap cap and Rivet kit for Scamp 5th Wheel mszabo Parts: Buy | Sell | Trade 1 08-24-2013 07:59 PM
To rivet or not to rivet dykim18 Modifications, Alterations and Updates 0 08-28-2012 02:53 PM
rivet rivet kayleigh0302 Modifications, Alterations and Updates 8 03-29-2012 03:51 PM
Rivets, rivet caps, rivet gun BOBSMITH Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 7 06-11-2008 10:24 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.