Scamp Rivet length - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Scamp Rivet length

I'm trying to replace the rivets that hold the closet and cabinets to the shell of my '76 Scamp. I'm using Size 6-16. The first one worked, but since then the rest Pop before the rivet is snug against the surface.

The Scamp site has a variety of rivet sizes shown, but does not say what they are for...

I am using 1/4-20 nickle acorn nuts on the inside.

What size rivet should I be using?

boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
When we reinstall our cabinets in our 1976 13' Scamp, I will be fiberglassing supports inside the shell to eliminate the need for rivets that leak. We are fiberglassing the rivet holes then bondoing and sanding. Later we will paint. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Easy answer, call Scamp. They can tell you.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:02 AM   #4
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Hi Gary, here's a thread just for you! Scamp Rivet Size List
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Here is my recent experience. I am ashamed to say that a few days ago I sheared off two of the rivet caps (covers) when backing into my "Scamport". They were those holding one of the curtain rod brackets, size 56 on the Scamp parts store page. They describe them incorrectly as 9/64 Dia., they are actually 5/32 Dia., 9/16 long. All others on their page are 1/8 or 3/16 of various lengths. I had to go to Home Depot to find that size, the smaller, local hardware stores only carry 1/8 or 3/16. That 5/32 is an oddball. Aren't fractions fun?

Aluminum was easy to drill out after grabbing the inside end with pliers. To avoid accidental damage, I did that by hand. Sealed the replacements with a dab of Lexel adhesive/sealer. Note: it is worth spending some money on a decent (medium price) pop-rivet tool. I keep one in the Scamp, along with a small bag of spare pop-rivets.

Here is a link to a nice page showing various sizes:
Standard Open End Rivets : Hanson Rivet
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Name: Gary
Trailer: 1976 13' Scamp
Donna, I love the thread you suggested. The golden nugget I got from all of it is... It's a good thing the rivets I have are too long because they can be cut shorter! Good news for me because the 250 count would have been money wasted otherwise.
The second...maybe I should say, silver nugget, is YMMV... Why did I think two rivets side by side doing the same job could possibly be the same length!
And finally, post 5 on this thread, Paul's comment to keep a rivet tool and rivets with the Scamp. Seems like a good idea. One stop shopping! I think I'll keep a drill bit of matching size there too.

boats19 is offline   Reply With Quote