Scamp Rivets and Gun (13er) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I use the "pump" method. It takes 2-3 pumps to set a rivet. My hands are small, I wear a size 6 ring. Just like Carol, I start out using both hands. Go slow!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Eastern Ontario
There are 2 handed riveting tools out there. They are a little larger but very easy to use. I like mine and it is similar to this one.

18 in. Long Handled Riveting Tool | Princess Auto

Sandy C.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
When you squeeze the handle the head grabs and pulls the rivet shaft, when you release the handle you can slide the riveter down on the rivet shaft. So it's not really too much trouble to work the handles closer together with a couple of two handed "small bites".

Just make sure (as I think Carol mentioned) to keep pressing the rivet tight against what your trying to rivet when you are squeezing the handles.

Nothing could beat taking Mary and Bob up on the offer to mentor you through the process. Always easier to develop a new skill working with someone that has been there and done that.

I think it took my wife and myself maybe an hour or hour and a half to replace all our snap caps and rivets so not too big a job, and belly band rivets are smaller as are side vents, water and electric fittings. Those smaller diameter rivets are easier to pop.

You get through doing some remove and replace of rivets with a mentor and you will be ready to roll from there on out with no problem I'm sure.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
[QUOTE=RogerDat;434213]

Nothing could beat taking Mary and Bob up on the offer to mentor you through the process. Always easier to develop a new skill working with someone that has been there and done that.

Thank you Roger; I believe the best way to learn something is hands on with someone that knows how. I had a former coworker, who was very knowledgeable, and I would sometimes ask him how to do something. His comment was usually, "I'll tell you, but you drive", meaning he would talk me through it, but I did the work. Better than just watching him do it. My questions usually involved how to do something on the computer, as that is not my strong point. Don't know where Wendy, the original poster is located, NY is a big state, she may be no where near me. When we get home in the spring I may have to help another Uhaul owner with some repairs too, so she can get camping.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #19

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Another riveting idea; when I have to drill holes for 3/16" rivets I don't use a 3/16 drill as the rivets can sometimes be hard to insert. I use a slightly larger number drill, #11 or 12, which is a few thousanths oversize, makes it easier.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #20

Name: Sean
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Wisconsin
I`m new into guns. What exactly is a hand riveter? I searched online for some info, but I wasn`t able to find much.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #21

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan2sie17 View Post
I`m new into guns. What exactly is a hand riveter? I searched online for some info, but I wasn`t able to find much.
See page one post #4 of this thread for a picture.
Google "using a pop rivet tool" lots of video tutorials on the web.

Rivets are fasteners, pop or blind rivets are very common as fasteners on FGRV's. The tool used to install them is often called a rivet gun.

Unlike a nut and bolt one can insert a rivet and tighten a rivet through a hole without needing access to both sides of the materials being joined. Making them ideal for manufacture of things attached through walls of fiberglass camper.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #22

Name: Peter
Trailer: Scamp
California
Like the others I've almost completely re-rivet my 13" using the most basic rivet tool - I got this from Lowes but Harbor Freight probably has it cheaper.

Shop Arrow Rivet Tool Kit at Lowes.com

There are 'professional' swivel head tools that you can get but in my opinion the larger swivel head hurts not helps getting into tight places - not to mention the additional moving parts that could break.

Tags
scamp