Scamp roof A/C can cause a leak. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #15

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
Ok, so I just got off the phone with Kent as Scamp and he said he thinks its a leaking seal on the AC. They aren't even using the Coleman any more but for those of us who have them they are bolted on as Gordon said and he says the seal can shift. He did not believe a screw could have penetrated the roof although I mentioned it did happen to one member here and there is pictures. So now I have to go back to a boat shop and pay them to remove the AC unit and inspect for holes and leaks as that is beyond our expertise

Old 10-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
A number of years ago on the CasitaForum there was a thread about needing to tighten the A/C after "a while." It had to do with the carpet compressing and the A/C actually loosening up. If I can find the thread, I'll post. But it may be something similar happening for some of you.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:09 PM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Ok, so I just got off the phone with Kent as Scamp and he said he thinks its a leaking seal on the AC. They aren't even using the Coleman any more but for those of us who have them they are bolted on as Gordon said and he says the seal can shift. He did not believe a screw could have penetrated the roof although I mentioned it did happen to one member here and there is pictures. So now I have to go back to a boat shop and pay them to remove the AC unit and inspect for holes and leaks as that is beyond our expertise
The seal is a likely suspect. You could try tightening the bolts a little but you have to remove the air dist. box to get to them. So whoever does the work, be sure they have the information I posted so they do not screw through the roof when putting the air dist box back on.

If you are going to pay them to remove the A/C, then just have them install a new seal. Its about old enough to consider that anyway.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Dometic B57915 (I guess thats a Brisk II)

Which manufacturers installation materials or methods? Dometic or Scamp? .
Mostly the Dometic design, since the Coleman air distribution box attaches via a built in bracket to the inside unit. (No screws into the roof)
A clear design problem on the part of Dometic, but also failure on the part of the installer to catch the problem.
Pointing it out to Scamp was a good move! Hopefully other trailer makers caught it early.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Mostly the Dometic design, since the Coleman air distribution box attaches via a built in bracket to the inside unit. (No screws into the roof)
A clear design problem on the part of Dometic, but also failure on the part of the installer to catch the problem....
Ahh! I did not know about that (the Coleman design). I would not however call it a design problem on the part of Dometic but instead a misapplication since the Dometic unit is meant for a different type of roof.

The air distribution box (on the ceiling,) on my Dometic A/C does have two sheet metal screws that go into the structure of the upper unit and not into the fiberglass roof. But it also is specified to have eight screws into the roof - two at each of the four vents (per Dometic manual).

Note that Scamp only used the two sheet metal screws (toward the trailer's front) and two of the eight screws (the two toward the trailer's back). It does seem like thats enough to hold the box in place, but the fact that Scamp elected to not following the installation instructions from Dometic and forgo the use of the six other screws tells me something.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Ahh! I did not know about that (the Coleman design). I would not however call it a design problem on the part of Dometic but instead a misapplication since the Dometic unit is meant for a different type of roof.
Still an inferior design compared to the Coleman, especially if you consider what the ceiling and roofs are made of on stick-builts.
How many times could you remove the Dometic air box on a stick built using the same screw holes without wallowing them out?(rhetorical)
I like the idea of basing the standard engineering on the traditional and universal 14"X14" roof opening to accommodate vents, power vents and even A/C without other intrusions.
Still, having been a fleet mechanic, I found that you have to work with the engineering provided and look for solutions instead of mourning the faults.
Your solution looks like it will work fine.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp
Hidden source of a leak

Another "hidden" leak spot to add here. I have a 2003 16' Scamp. Found a rotten spot underneath on curbside rear. On the outside of the Scamp, there's a 110v external 2 socket recep. Flat recep. cover on curved surface of unit. Yep, recep. seal deteriorated and water coming in and puddling on floor behind internal water storage tank. Totally out of sight !!! Would never have known if I'd not inspected carefully from underneath.
Check it out.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #22

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Yes campers leak. The June 2016 Trailer Life page 52 has a article on roof leaking and a repair that should stop it. The Co. is in Fl.. I feel this system would stop screw leaks in the fiber glass maybe.

Tags
scamp