Scamp Screws coming out all the time - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #1

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Scamp Screws coming out all the time

Since this is first long distance tow, not sure if something is wrong here but every other night when I pull into campground I have to screw back in at least 3-5 screw, under heater, sink cabinet or opposite sink cabinet. I drive very cautiously and steady (evidence 23 mpg average pulling 16' scamp with 4 cy Subaru). What the hey? Is it normal to have the trailer losing its screws?
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #2

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
Since this is first long distance tow, not sure if something is wrong here but every other night when I pull into campground I have to screw back in at least 3-5 screw, under heater, sink cabinet or opposite sink cabinet. I drive very cautiously and steady (evidence 23 mpg average pulling 16' scamp with 4 cy Subaru). What the hey? Is it normal to have the trailer losing its screws?
If it's an older trailer remove the screw and put a couple toothpicks or a wooden match stick in the hole then replace the screw.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:53 AM   #3

Indiana
Registry
So it's normal I guess. I don't believe my 2005 trailer has seen a lot of the world but was confined to one area. I'm taking him all over the country. Thanks for suggestion re toothpicks.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I had the same problem after about 6 years on 2006 Scamp. I don't think tooth picks will do the job since the material the screw goes into is a composite wood material. What I did was get some E600 adhesive and put a bit of that on the threads of each screw. I've been on some pretty rough roads and they're holding just fine. A super glue won't do it.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #5

Indiana
Registry
Thanks Byron. Can't do it now as on the move but when I get back in six weeks will get some of that. Meanwhile I'll just keep screwing them back in.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Judi, I had the same issue with the same screws and used Byran's solution of the E6000 and it worked.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Maybe the previous owner was also a Harley-Davidson m/c owner. They learn to expect screws to come loose and worry when they don't.... LOL

In FGRV's, this problem is often caused by the screws being over-tightened over time, weakening the walls of the screw hole in fiberglass.

When I have this problem I mix up a small batch of slow setting epoxy glue on a folded piece of aluminum foil, dip the screws threads in it, and reseat all the ones I can find at the same time. This is also easy to do on the road using cheap epoxy found at $.99 stores, it's usually good enough good this use.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Sort of off thread, but I hope your experience so far has been good and that those screws are the worst thing that ever happens in your travels.
Once again, good luck and God bless. May you have peace and contentment every mile!
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Hi,

Are your trailer tires balanced? We had a bad axle causing uneven tire wear, causing vibrations, which loosened interior screws.

Des
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #10

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Scamp screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
Buy a tube of Loctite Power Grab at ACE or Home Depot. Put some on each screw thread reinstall the screw they will never come loose again.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I do two things for the secrews that go into the wooden floor material, bigger or longer screws and goop similar to that used by others. After 22 years it's not surprising that some of them loosen.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #12

Indiana
Registry
Thanks everyone! Floyd! I texted you before I left. Great trip so thanks to you and excellent training on road with 60 mph winds the past two days! Today in Utah and now Nevada I'm the bomb tooting along! Saw two scamps on I-80 this morning heading east to my west out in the salt flat area. One more big hurdle with Donner pass coming up Thursday. Crossing fingers no high wind advisories with 'no lite trailer' warnings and no snow!! Thanks again Floyd and Debbie for getting me on the road. J
Old 10-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I did something similar to Byron using a different adhesive. I used polyurethane wood glue which foams and expands as it cures. I figured the expanding/foaming thing would help pack the screw in extra tight.

Urethane glue uses water as a catalyst, so I had to get moisture into the screw holes. To do this I tore most of the head of a Q-Tip off, dipped it in water, and inserted it into the hole, getting it good and damp. Then I gooed up a toothpick with glue and used that to smear it into the hole, then dipped my screw in water, and screwed it in.

I used to have to tighten the screws along the lower edge of my cabinets twice a year. They've stuck fast ever since I glued them in like this.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
To the people who have used various adhesives: can you still remove these screws when you need to?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #15

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In a word... Yep

But don't expect to use a worn out Reed & Prince driver on a beat up Phillips screw head. I always try to use only #2 Square Drive s.s. screws throughout my FGRV's.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Brian,

I use square drive wood screws, typically 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 " with some typical white window caulk (brand?) on the threads. You can get them out but they don't backout by themselves.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
To the people who have used various adhesives: can you still remove these screws when you need to?
Using the E6000 yes I can still remove the screws.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Thanks to the adhesive users (Bob, Norm, Byron) ... it would be bad to have accidentally permanent screws, and if anyone were intentionally creating them it would be important to know that.

Personally, if I were using a thread adhesive, I would use only Robertson (square drive) or Torx screws ... no Phillips!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote