SCAMP side storage cabinets... - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #1

Name: Ralph
Trailer: SCAMP 13
Kentucky
SCAMP side storage cabinets...

I thought I read of someone that had a problem with the side cabinets over the dinette area. He or she kept hitting their head on the overhead side cabinet while sitting at the dinette!
I am about to order a 13 ft. SCAMP and am very reluctant to order those side cabinets. I would hate to keep hitting or bumping my head or not be able to sit normaly at the dinette area. I have gone over so many photos and nothing shows that there may be a problem with head room at the table.
I am 6' 2" and my head grazes the ceiling without being uncomfortable.

How about it folks.... Does anyone have this problem? How is the head clearance for you around the dinette with the side cabinets?

ALSO...
If I get the side cabinets and they do not work for me... how difficult is it to remove them???

Thanks folks
Ralph & Peggy

Old 02-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you get the side cabinets and later decide to remove them, you'll be left with holes in the shell to deal with. I have also heard those side cabinets block light from the fixture on the end of the overhead kitchen cabinets.

Have you thought about ordering the the single long cabinet that spans the width of the rear wall over the dinette instead? It looks better to me, and out of head's way, though possibly not as convenient to access.

Or none at all? Mine doesn't have any of the optional cabinets. I haven't really missed them, and without them the trailer feels more open and roomy. I have a personal theory on storage. Some people advise getting as much extra storage as possible. I say the more storage you have, the more stuff you'll bring. Keep it simple and light. That's the whole point of a 13' fiberglass trailer! YMMV...

Decisions, decisions... fun times! May your new Scamp bring exciting travels and wonderful memories!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ralph,

We have added a large over head cabinet above the dinette. The bottom of the cabinet is at the level of the top of the rear window. We have had the cabinet for four years, it's really rare that I bump my head and I'm 6'1".

To help the situation Ginny dangles little pieces of red yarn at danger spots. I never see the yarn but my eye/brain combination must.

You can see our cabinet somewhere in the following thread.

Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16

Our overhead cabinet contains our bedding and our jeans.

In reference to Jon's comments, the one thing that we did to open the rear of the trailer that really works was to make the rear table a folding table.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:28 AM   #4

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
If you get the side cabinets and later decide to remove them, you'll be left with holes in the shell to deal with. I have heard those side cabinets also block light from the fixture on the end of the overhead kitchen cabinets.

Have you thought about ordering the the single long cabinet that spans the width of the rear wall over the dinette instead? It looks better to me, and out of head's way, though possibly not as convenient to access.

Or none at all? Mine doesn't have any of the optional cabinets. I haven't really missed them, and without them the trailer feels more open and roomy. I have a personal theory on storage. Some people advise getting as much extra storage as possible. I say, the more storage you have, the more stuff you'll bring. Keep it simple and light. That's the whole point of a 13' fiberglass trailer! YMMV...
Decisions, decisions... fun times! May your new Scamp bring great times and wonderful memories!
Thanks Jon...
I have thought of the single rear cabinet across the back... But... I may get the roof top air???? Very undecided about the A/C and what to do at this point. But... with the roof top air and the 3 speed fan, I cannot get the rear cabinet across the back.
YIKES... forgot about the holes! OK Thanks!
I sat in one 13 footer last week actually... nice folks let us look at theirs. They too have no cabinets around the dinette! I liked that... but was trying to figure in my head if it is worth trying to get more storage! Your thought on that is valid indeed!
We have a good system for our tent camping... except for clothes and perishables... we have everything in two containers that we carry with us to the campground... hoses electrical cords... coleman stove and fuel and cooking utensils. YES trying to keep it simple!
Thanks for your input Jon.... it is much appreciated!
Ralph
Old 02-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
We don't hit our heads on those side cabinets, but I am only 5' 10" and
my wife is several inches shorter.

In October of 2013, we purchased a 2014 Scamp 13 Layout 1 (with the
54” bed). We knew that we would lose some overhead cabinet space
and some "closet" cabinet width, so we wanted all of the overhead
cabinets that we could get.

We ordered the two rear side cabinets and the front full width overhead
cabinet. My clothes go in that larger front cabinet and my wife uses both
rear side cabinets for her clothes. (BTW - We were told that a full width
rear overhead cabinet would not work for our configuration.)

We really like the 54" bed and you can now get that option in the
Scamp 13 Std Layout 1, the Scamp 13 Deluxe, or the Scamp 16 Deluxe.
(Wayne, our Scamp salesman, told me that Scamp will build a Scamp 16
Deluxe Layout A with the front sofa/bunk-beds instead of the usual
front dinette.)

We probably got most of the options except for the AC, bathroom,

furnace, and awning. In October 2013, our brand new 2014 Scamp 13
was under $11,000.

For pictures of the inside of our Scamp 13, look at the following thread:
Scamp Full Size Bed = Smaller Table Size

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/scamp-full-size-bed-smaller-table-size-65096.html
For pictures of a newer similar Scamp 13, look at the following thread:
Mission Accomplished - Scamp is Home!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f51/mission-accomplished-scamp-is-home-65761.html

We have found that a small electric space heater is more than adequate

for heating and will consider either a portable AC or rear-window-mounted
AC unit if we need one. (Note - The top-mounted AC unit hangs down a
couple of inches into the inside of the trailer and could potentially be a
"head knocker" for a taller guy. )

Instead of an $900 awning, we also often carry a $250 screen room/tent
(~$300 with added privacy/wind panels) that travels either laying on
a protective pad on the front sofa or else in the tow vehicle:
Clam Six Pack Screen Tent Video...

CLAM 1660 Mag Screen Tent – Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporation-9281-6-Pack-140-Inch/dp/B00E3LF7FK/ref=sr_1_2

CLAM 1660 Mag Screen Tent Wind Panels – Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Clam-Corporation-9294-3-Pack-Canopies/dp/B00E5BHB6Q/ref=sr_1_1

The above is just food for thought. Obviously, your needs, wants, and

constraints will be different than ours. (Also, as always, YMMV. )

Good luck with your decisions!

Ray

Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #6

Kentucky
Great info Ray! Thank you very much for your input!
Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #7

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro
California
Registry
Hello, we bought a new 13 foot Scamp back in 08 and had the cabinets on both sides and back of the table. My husband is 6'6" tall and he never had a problem. we also liked the storage.
Cathy
Old 02-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
The problem I had with our overhead cabinets was that I would hit the doors with my head when they were left half open. There is a number of solutions posted on this forum. My solution was to take the spring loaded hinges off, take a good look at how they work and then file small flat spot on the hinge pin. Now they tend to close with the spring load, as designed, AND also stay open at a ~90 degree angle. Problem solved.

PS. I also have red surveyors' tape hanging from some plumbing in my basement to keep me from knocking myself silly.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #9

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Ralph-

I, too, am 5'10" and never have a problem wacking my head. We have a 13 Deluxe with cabinets all around. We opted for a sofa up front instead of the dinette or bathroom. We wanted as much living space as was possible in the 13'.

We also have the Clam 6 Pack screen room.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #10

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
We have a 2007 Scamp 16 and no head problems what so ever. Now that saying, we are not tall people, me being 5 ft. 8 inches and my wife shorter. Ample storage all over and no problems with head clearance at all. We may order the storage cabinet that goes across the back of the trailer, above the rear window. We love our Scamp and now new interior makes it truly ours.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 AM   #11

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avey View Post
Hello, we bought a new 13 foot Scamp back in 08 and had the cabinets on both sides and back of the table. My husband is 6'6" tall and he never had a problem. we also liked the storage.
Cathy
Thanks Kathy! Great news!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #12

Kentucky
Great info all you guys! This has been very informative... looks like I must have read it wrong about some folks having issues with the side cabinets.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:30 AM   #13

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Ralph, The old 13's were shorter inside than the new ones. Maybe those are the ones you read about with the head bumping problems? I think the post-fire 13' Scamps are about 3" higher, which would also raise the bottom of the cabinets 3" compared to the older models?
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #14

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Ralph, The old 13's were shorter inside than the new ones. Maybe those are the ones you read about with the head bumping problems? I think the post-fire 13' Scamps are about 3" higher, which would also raise the bottom of the cabinets 3" compared to the older models?
Very good point.... Had not thought of that one!
Thanks!

Tags
scamp