Scamp Snap Cap Washers? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #29

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Here's a pic snapped right off of my 2010 Scamp 13'. There WERE two different sizes used. I hate how Scamp does/did this installing CURTAIN rods with outside rivets but it's done. And this is where the small snap caps come in. Now...after I run out of the small ones, I guess I will have to order them else where.....the caps deteriorate and need replacing but not necessarily the washer....grrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Darral, I wonder why the Scamp Parts Guy told me otherwise?

Maybe he didn't understand my question?

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Snap-Caps.jpg  

Old 02-25-2016, 02:40 PM   #30

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
The good news is the smaller caps and washers to go with them can be purchased at pretty well most hardware stores. Just make sure you buy the washers at the same time as all caps and washers do not play well together even though they appear to be in all ways the same. Found that some cap brands do not snap down tight to the trailers surface when you use them with a different brand/make of washer.

The other good news is the some of the caps sold in hardware stores have a much shiner smoother surface than the ones Scamp sells. As such I have found they do not seem to deteriorate as fast as the one scamp uses - they stay looking nice and clean and shiny much longer. In the photo above it appears that perhaps the larger cap has been replaced with the shiner smoother surface cap? and the two smaller ones are the original Scamp ones? I ask as it looks to be the case due to the appearance of them.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #31

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Good catch there Carolyn. But no, those are ALL the same age. But you're right about the larger one. I tried to wipe off the small ones (before taking the photo) and they are what they are looks-wise. The larger one still looks brand new and obviously they have all been exposed to the identical elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The other good news is the some of the caps sold in hardware stores have a much shiner smoother surface than the ones Scamp sells. As such I have found they do not seem to deteriorate as fast as the one scamp uses - they stay looking nice and clean and shiny much longer. In the photo above it appears that perhaps the larger cap has been replaced with the shiner smoother surface cap? and the two smaller ones are the original Scamp ones? I ask as it looks to be the case due to the appearance of them.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:14 PM   #32

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Good catch there Carolyn. But no, those are ALL the same age. But you're right about the larger one. I tried to wipe off the small ones (before taking the photo) and they are what they are looks-wise. The larger one still looks brand new and obviously they have all been exposed to the identical elements.
Darral as yours is a 2010 it looks like perhaps Scamp had already started to make a change to the nice shiny caps that are easier to clean for at least the big ones they did. On my 92 version the were all the hard to clean ones that deteriorated in the sun.

A little bit of 3M Restore and Wax on a cloth will help buff the little ones up a bit for awhile.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp