Scamp Stove Window Part Photo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Scamp Stove Window Part Photo

Tried numerous searches, can't find what I need. I am rebuilding the window over the stove in my 1995 Scamp 13, almost done except for a part that I need to find or make. It is the piece that goes on the end of the actuator arm, and slides in the track mounted to the sash. I need a picture of the piece, some measurements would be really helpful too.

This window was a mess when I got the trailer, seems like several people took turns disassembling the window, then used all the parts to put it back together randomly. I was able to save the gaskets by cleaning at least 4 different types of sealant/glue off them. I have the window repainted, new screen, cleaned and lubed the crank mechanism, new glazing, and replaced all the tiny screws with stainless. Only thing left is a new gasket where the sash closes against the frame, and to put it all back in. The piece I'm looking for was replaced by a bent piece of steel plumber's tape. Needless to say, it doesn't function very smoothly. I'd really appreciate it if someone could snap a quick picture and upload it.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Just a picture of what the window looked like before. The glazing was cut too large, and warped in the frame. There was actually moss growing on the gasket inside.

Hopefully an "after" picture soon.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Got the window back together, sort of. Something is warped, doesn't close smoothly, but good enough for now. Guess I'm just gonna wing it for the piece I need. Wish I had black butyl, too, but it will work for now. Touched up the paint where I dinged it getting the sash back in the frame.

A little improvement:

Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinPete View Post
........ Wish I had black butyl, too, but it will work for now. ...
Looks great!

You can get black butyl on the internet, though I've never found it cheap.

Rope
CRL Black Butyl Setting Tape and Adhesive. CRL 1303 - Filmtools

Liquid
CRL Black 777 Butyl Rubber Sealant - CRL BRAND BUTYL RUBBER CAULK - Buy CRL Black 777 Butyl Rubber Sealant Best Prices
Old 06-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
That's exactly like the bathroom window in my 1988 Scamp.... you sure cleaned it up good, look... all that icky caulk is gone! The window in my trailer has a knob that when I twist it, the window opens... like a jalousie. Is that the same (idea) you've got going on?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Kevin, if it this piece I think you are talking about, looks like just a small pressed in piece of plastic/nylon that goes into the hole at end of arm. Small enough to move but big enough not to slide out of track with movement
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Donna, same window. I could identify at least 4 different layers of caulk, plus what looked like polyurethane glue, all over the window. I see the price for a new one went up on Scamp's new website. There are knife scratches all around the window (and other places), I'd like to get my hands on whoever did this nonsense. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to touch tools. I'll post some other pictures in my overall thread.

Tom, thanks. I saw on other windows that there is a nylon piece that you can get that snaps on, almost like a zip tie. I may end up trying several things. My concern with making a metal piece is that it might bind, but there was a poorly-shaped piece of steel in there for a while, it sort of worked. Thinking I'll go with a brass washer, it only needs to apply enough force when closed to seal the sash on the weatherstripping.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #8

Name: Al
Trailer: 84 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Kevin,

That's an awesome job on the window. I'm working the same window on my 1984 Scamp and dealing with cleaning up a bunch of rubber caulking that the PO thought would solve a leak. I pulled this window out so that I can reseal it with Butyl tape. I also have some water pooling inside the window track and I'm not sure if it's because the glass needs to be reseated against the window frame. The water in the track also damaged the weather strip foam.

I'd appreciate some insight on the following:

What steps did you take to disassemble the window so that you could finally remove the glass?

What did you use for your new weather stripping?

You mentioned you were able to save the gasket. Are you referring to the rubber trim that sits around the back edge of the glass? If so, what sealant did you use to reattach the gasket?

Thanks for your help.

-Al
VA_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #9

Name: dave
Trailer: castia 16ft
Kansas
I also want to know. My casita front and side windows look exactly like that one and need rebuilt.
The ft window is doing the same thing, getting water into the groove, track, also.
Last big rain I had to lower ft of trailer down to keep water out.
This is a 1986 casita and it has what looks like identical windows as scamp used then.
dave in kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #10

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
This is what's used on the Bolers, don't know if it is any help - sorry on iPhone so link is weird - vintage trailer supply site. My hubby made one out of a spring from a pen.
Nylon Friction Pad
Home
View cart

Nylon Friction Pad
Product Code: VTS-348
Our Price: $3.45

Description
This nylon part is inserted in the end of the arm of our 7-1/2" gear operators. It slides up and down in a channel on the front frame of many 1950s and 1960s Hehr windows. This is an exact replica of original Hehr part number 009-173. It is 1-1/2" long and 1/4" wide. It is installed by snapping the ends together through the hole in the arm, forming a loop in the nylon slider. Click on the MORE PHOTOS button to see other views. Used in Hehr Standard and Hehr Hall-Mark 12 windows. There is a pic on site.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp