Scamp table bouncing loose - anyone else? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #1

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Scamp table bouncing loose - anyone else?

My 13 foot with the table in the down position sometimes bounces the hinge bar on the back wall right out of the brackets. Then the table starts moving forward as we go down the road.

Anyone else have the swing arm just bounce out of the back wall brackets? Anyone have suggestions on how to prevent it?

Seems sort of inevitable, the bar goes up and drops into the brackets so a bump that causes the table to move up can just un-hook it from the wall.

I live in Michigan so only driving on GOOD roads is just not an option.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Do you have the plastic white retaining clip?
Attached Thumbnails
P8290474.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #3

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 1992 13'
Washington
Oh I didn't know there was such a clip.
Lady Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Scamp View Post
Oh I didn't know there was such a clip.
Well now I don't feel all alone in not knowing that those existed.
Must be some new fangled thing they added in the late 90's or something

I think I can cobble up something along those lines in the short term.
Long term I can probably order a pair from scamp.

Will probably need to use a slightly longer screw, next longest screw size will probably determine how thick the latch needs to be so longer screw doesn't poke through back wall.

Simple, functional, and best of all easy.
Thanks!
Old 08-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #5

Michigan
Just noticed those look like aluminum brackets. Scamp makes those brackets out of aluminum now? Mine are chrome steel, which as the chrome wears off are a little annoying to keep shiny but they are pretty heavy duty. Think the wall would give before the bracket. Which might be why they went to aluminum when you think about it.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:28 PM   #6

North Carolina
Perhaps a one hole strap such as this would work also (or a two hole, pipe clamp style), if it were the right size to hold the bracket down while still allowing it to rotate. I would mount one in the center, or mount two, one each close to each existing bracket. And yes, right size screws! You don't want to punch a hole through the fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
temp2.jpg  
Old 08-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Roger, no idea if your brackets are like Gordon's pic. In his pic it looks, to me, that there's enough room to drill a small hole above the round bar and run a small short sheet screw threw to keep the bar from popping out.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Roger, no idea if your brackets are like Gordon's pic. In his pic it looks, to me, that there's enough room to drill a small hole above the round bar and run a small short sheet screw threw to keep the bar from popping out.
Only two small screws to solve the problem? Rube Goldberg would never approve!

(But, yes.. I think that would work)
Old 08-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #9

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
I just added a round-head screw above the bar in my '78 Trillium when I had the same problem. Just used a screw with a large enough head that the bar couldn't get past. Also not screwing the screw all the way in works, too. Save $. I'm a pretty cheap...

Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #10

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
If I don't screw the screw in all they way, would I be "traveling with a loose screw"?
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #11

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Some of us are known to do so. And not just travel. We have loose screws ALL the time.

Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #12

Name: J
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
Wow! Heck Heck the roads here in Tucson are even more bumpy than Michigan. I feel real lucky now as I have never had that issue. I always put the table down when traveling. I've even had my grand kids sleep on it. Wish I had some help but just shocked. Wish you lots of luck and more happiness. PS 19' Scamp
mgmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #13

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Scamp Table Bouncing Loose

If all else fails use duck tape
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:28 PM   #14

Name: J
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
What kind of red neck joke is that ? Where is the bailing wire?
Really I believe the tape would mess up the rabbit fur and leave a residue. I know it sounds crazy but check with Scamp. I was informed about the table when I picked up mine at the store. They informed me that if I left the table up it would tear up the hinge. They also mentioned what to do it it happened, which I forgot to remember. They were always helpful and kind. They let me know to buy the part to use an electric drill to power up the front legs but wouldn't sell that nice long wheel for the front.

Jim
mgmidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:44 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmidget View Post
What kind of red neck joke is that ? Where is the bailing wire?
Really I believe the tape would mess up the rabbit fur and leave a residue. I know it sounds crazy but check with Scamp. I was informed about the table when I picked up mine at the store. They informed me that if I left the table up it would tear up the hinge. They also mentioned what to do it it happened, which I forgot to remember. They were always helpful and kind. They let me know to buy the part to use an electric drill to power up the front legs but wouldn't sell that nice long wheel for the front.

Jim

You have to be careful with Scamp information. Sometimes it's good sometimes it's not. I have traveled with the table up and with it down. I've set the nylon stops to keep the hinge rod from coming out of the bracket.
Another not so good information coming from Scamp was video showing a person leveling their trailer using the stabilizers by jacking them with that rod and trying level front to back at the same time trying to level side to side. Those jacks weren't made for that kind of pressure.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
...I feel real lucky now as I have never had that issue. I always put the table down when traveling...
Quote:
... I know it sounds crazy but check with Scamp. I was informed about the table when I picked up mine at the store. They informed me that if I left the table up it would tear up the hinge. ...
Let remember that the OP said this problem is with the table down:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
My 13 foot with the table in the down position sometimes bounces the hinge bar on the back wall right out of the brackets. ...
Old 08-30-2017, 05:14 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp table bouncing loose - anyone else?

Personally, I am inclined to agree with Scamp about lowering the table for towing. Just too much bouncing at the back for the lightweight hardware.

But yup, the nylon stops do exactly what they're meant to do. Table stays put- in the down position.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp