scamp tail lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
scamp tail lights

I need to have extra tail lights mounted high on my Scamp 16 because my low ones are partially blocked. Scamp sells them for $16 per tail light.

This is likely a stupid question, but ... am I right to assume these tail lights will work as brake lights and turn signals as well? I mean, the wires are included with the lights for all normal tail light functions if I order from Scamp?

Thx all for putting up with my ignorance (and it's NOT bliss!).

Sharon
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Yes, Sharon. The taillights sold by scamp are tail and turn/brake lights. I would suggest you spend a little more and go with led taillights. Scamp doesn't sell them, but look at the Etrailer.com site. I think they are worth the extra $$.(much brighter)
Old 09-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #3

Texas
Dennis, you mean buy new tail lights for on high, but also buy new ones to replace the lower ones?

S.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
They will work as normal, but what's blocking your original lights. I sometimes have a bike rack on the rear of our trailer, and have mounted an extra set of lights on it. I have it set up so I can unplug them when I want to remove the rack. When the rack is off I have another bar with a set of lights on it that fits in the rear hitch, so I always have two sets of lights on the rear, plus some of the DOT reflective tape. No excuses for not seeing me from behind!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #5

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Sharon, I would leave the old ones there and just add new led's higher up.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #6

Texas
Bob, I have a large rubbermaid box mounted on an ATV cargo carrier that blocks about half of each tail light. I think it would be illegal on the road for me to drive with only half of each tail light showing. I suppose I could see about mounting tail lights on the cargo carrier instead of high on the trailer. We'll see.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #7

Texas
Gotcha Dennis, ty.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Sharon,
you will want to use LED lights if your car uses a converter box for the trailer lights. Some of these converter boxes have very low amperage ratings and will be heavily taxed using regular incandesent bulbs in addition to the added lights. New converter boxes are not cheap in addition to adding trailer lights. Unless you know the output rating of your converter box your better off trying LEDs.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, scamp, tail lights