Scamp trailer brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #1

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Scamp trailer brakes

Can anyone help? When I apply the brakes on my tow vehicle, I get a squeal. I had the brakes redone by my mechanic and still have the squeal. The bearings were also greased, so this should not be the problem. My trailer is a 2012 Scamp 13 foot. My tow vehicle does not squeal when I am not pulling the trailer. Any suggestions?
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
You should determine which side of the trailer is the source of the noise and check that wheel. Are the bearings too tight ? If the bearings are OK then remove the brake drum. Check for a loose magnet, broken hardware. a rock or other debris in the assembly or possibly a shoe that is dragging. If you just had the work done, your mechanic should make things right.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardon View Post
Can anyone help? When I apply the brakes on my tow vehicle, I get a squeal. I had the brakes redone by my mechanic and still have the squeal. The bearings were also greased, so this should not be the problem. My trailer is a 2012 Scamp 13 foot. My tow vehicle does not squeal when I am not pulling the trailer. Any suggestions?
From your post, I assume you mean that the tow vehicle brakes are doing the squealing.

Do you park outside?

there are several reasons for a squeal.

Most common is a worn pad with a built in wear indicator which is designed to squeal when the pad gets thin enough.

Another common cause is when the vehicle has been parked outside or driven after a rain. Rust or moisture can can cause the squeal but it usually goes away after applying the brakes a few times.

Sticky slides on the caliper can cause a pad to jamb or get crooked causing noise when the brakes are applied. This is often the inside pad gets stuck and wears away quickly.

Some cheap pads come without anti-rattle springs or backing plates which can make them noisy

Some metallic compounds are just prone to squeal.

Raybestos "Quiet Stop" pads are ceramic based, quiet and make virtually no noticeable dust on your wheels.

These were all generalities and a true diagnosis would require checking the vehicle in person.

The likely reason that the squeal does not occur when towing is that you are applying the brakes harder and the pads are gripping past the squeal point.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Learned the hard way the cheap brake pads can and will squeal. Had it happen twice. First time the party who put the first set on replaced them with a second set of the same make to try and correct the problem..... after a couple of months I ended up having them pulled off and replaced with the vehicle manufactures pads - not a squeal to be heard since.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:12 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If the TV's brakes are squealing only when the trailer is attached, it also sounds like the trailers brakes are not doing their job and additional load is being placed on the TV's brakes. If that is the case, I would agree with Floyd's analysis that a wear indicator is starting to make contact when the brakes are applies harder to stop the additional loads of the trailer.

Perhaps the O.P. can give us additional details about which brakes are squealing and when it happens?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:19 AM   #6

Maine
I'm sorry all. The brakes that I am referring to are the electric brakes on the trailer, not the tow vehicle.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I'm sorry all. The brakes that I am referring to are the electric brakes on the trailer, not the tow vehicle.
Not sure if this is the possible reason for the squeaking or not but after installing new brakes on a trailer they should be adjusted after you do what is called "burnish-in". Keep in mind when you go to adjust the brakes that brakes do tend to grab more aggressively when warm than they do cold, so if your going to try to adjusting them, tow the trailer around the block a few times at slow speed and apply the brakes a few times, so they are not stone cold when you do the adjustment.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 11:43 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
[QUOTE=floyd;532631]

Hey Floyd, is Scamp using axles with disk brakes now? Some of the comments above are talking about "pads" and "Calipers"

My 2000 16ft has drum brakes. We had one wheel brake quit working. and found that the magnet had a broken wire inside. had to get a new magnet.

I wonder if the squealing could be because he/she has the gain on the controller turned up too high.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The only disc brakes I've ever seen on a trailer were surge brakes.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
There was some initial misunderstanding regarding whether it was the vehicle's brakes or the trailer's brakes that were squealing. It turned out to be the latter, so we're talking drums now.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #11

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Rusty brake drums on the trailer. The rust will wear off the more you brake.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
[QUOTE=Wayne Collins;532747]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Hey Floyd, is Scamp using axles with disk brakes now? Some of the comments above are talking about "pads" and "Calipers"

My 2000 16ft has drum brakes. We had one wheel brake quit working. and found that the magnet had a broken wire inside. had to get a new magnet.

I wonder if the squealing could be because he/she has the gain on the controller turned up too high.
No,but the OPs question was phrased in such a way that I thought the TV was the subject of the question. Notice I said so in the first sentence of my reply.
My bad!

On a 16 you can get the gain too high, something which kinda hard to do with those puny 7" brakes on a 13Scamp.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The rust is on the part of the drum where the magnet rubs. Just drive and sooner or later your braking will wear the rust off.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #14

Maine
Thank you all for the information. I will do some adjusting and I have talked to my mechanic.

Tags
brakes, scamp