scamp vs casita vs other 13-17 ft - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-25-2015, 03:12 PM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
Think about undercarriage height before you buy...I have a 2005 13 ft Scamp...and cringe everytime I go into pothole country because my water filter on left front under the floor is so low to the ground, it's the first to go, then off come the handles on the black and grey water release valves...even lost a grey water cover. Unfortunately this model cannot be raised. I now haul a "parts store", but love my Scamp.
I placed a simple skid bar under my 2004 Scamp13 and relocated the pump into the left front raised portion. This has worked perfectly for eleven years and protected the plumbing over 70,000 miles. As you know by now, it is better to watch your driving habits,( especially at driveways) than it is to do all that cringing!
I have not raised mine, but of course your model can be raised. there are several simple methods..

1] square tubing between the frame and axle (just like they do on the fiver.

2] Replace the axle with one identical to what you have except get a ZERO or 22 down instead of a 22 degree up angle. That way you can keep your present brakes and save money.

3] you could order a 3500# axle with shortened rubber to reduce the capacity to what you want (I suggest 2500#)
Attached Thumbnails
sp5.JPG  

Old 09-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #16

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
That's another reason I'm not thrilled about the front bathroom on a low-profile 13' trailer. But it can be raised, if it really hampers your style. A new axle with a different arm angle would solve your problem.

However, if I were ordering new and wanted a bathroom, I personally would want a larger 16'er. It is built from the factory with a raised suspension.
So get your 13 factory raised, by axle or frame.
The sixteen doesn't come with a raised suspension it simply comes with a 3500# axle instead of a 2200#.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
So get your 13 factory raised, by axle or frame.
The sixteen doesn't come with a raised suspension it simply comes with a 3500# axle instead of a 2200#.
Will the factory do that in a new build? I've read a number of complaints, here and elsewhere, about plumbing parts getting knocked off, and that's in normal campground use, not backcountry travel. The fact that you felt a need to change the factory set-up and add protection tells me that the design is at least vulnerable.

The 16' model sits higher off the ground than the 13' model. That's really all I meant by "raised." Stock wheels and tires are identical, so the difference is the axle. Isn't it built with a down angle, rather than the up angle on the 13' model (in addition to having a larger weight capacity)?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #18

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Will the factory do that in a new build? I've read a number of complaints, here and elsewhere, about plumbing parts getting knocked off, and that's in normal campground use, not backcountry travel. The fact that you felt a need to change the factory set-up and add protection tells me that the design is at least vulnerable.

The 16' model sits higher off the ground than the 13' model. That's really all I meant by "raised." Stock wheels and tires are identical, so the difference is the axle. Isn't it built with a down angle, rather than the up angle on the 13' model (in addition to having a larger weight capacity)?
I have found them to be very cooperative when I have had a request. They do change the ride height on the fiver on request, and it would be the same procedure or even simpler to do a 13, depending on the method which I discussed in post #15.

It doesn't take an outright defect to get me to change the factory set-up on anything, I have often made significant changes to brand new cars on the day I got them home. I have seven bicycles only one of which is unmodified.

I do think that the 13 has undergone changes in equipment over the years which would justify changing the axle angle. I'm working on it.

It took a while to get the change of door gasket which I changed on mine before our first outing in 2004.

I still would recommend the use of a skid device and the relocation of the front pump, even if the ride height was raised. I would not like to see the character of the 13 changed by too much increase and I feel as if a ZERO is the right change.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:25 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree, Floyd. Zero degrees would be about right. I'll sign that petition..
Old 09-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #20

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
Hello Denny,
We have ownd a Casita FD 17 for 24 days now. Over 4000 miles and 23 nights in the trailer already. The Casita tows very nice. We tow with a 2014 Nissan Frontier with a V-6. We love it but we are taking it back to the factory to get rid of the swivel chairs, they take up way to much room. I think you will be happy which ever one you choose with the right research. Good luck and see you on the road.

Tags
casita, scamp