Scamp wall carpeting coming unglued! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Question Scamp wall carpeting coming unglued!

Hi everyone with a scamp,
I have an older model 13' Scamp that has the fuzzy carpet-type material glued on the walls and ceiling, but the glue that holds it up seems to have reached the end of its life. It is sagging everywhere and I am tempted to just remove it all and paint the inside. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Should I bother trying to make small incisions in it and spray more adhesive?
Thanks in advance for your ideas,
Greg
Scampergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #2

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
If you remove it, you will end up removing the insulation before you can paint. The insulation is what makes these little trailers comfy. I had a few spots that were sagging, and pulled the area down at the seam, then used upholstery spray glue(follow the instructions!). It's held for 4 years.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Greg, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here.

The fuzzy carpet-like material you're talking about is a marine-grade headliner material. It doesn't hold odors and typically doesn't aquire mold. It does provide sound deadening to the trailer... without it and it rains, it may sound like you've got your head in a bucket! Behind it should be a bit of insulation which is good for keeping the trailer cool/warm and helps to prevent condensation during spring and fall. Anyone care to comment about the inside dripping?

If it's sagging, we can help you glue it back up. Removal (totally) is a PITA with the glue and you wouldn't be happy if you knew what it cost to replace it... plus the time to do it.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I fixed some sagging issues on mine by only removing the the thin section that covers the seams closest to where the sagging was happening. In a couple of spots I had to pull the rat fur down a bit more than it was already sagging or to get at the spot where it was sagging. I used the 3M spray with a long straw type gizmo on the nozzle to allow more control of the direction the spray went. Just put some spray on the seam cover and put them back and its all good.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Welcome, Greg! I just fixed a sagging ceiling in my Scamp last week, you can see some pictures HERE, Took me a couple hours of easy work, needed 3M 90 spray adhesive, a roller (which I made), and a respirator. I used hot glue for the seam tape. Turned out well.

I reglued the center piece of reflectix and rat fur from the roof vent forward to the top of the front window. After having it all down, I would never consider just painting the glass and leaving it like that.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Talking Thanks "fur" your help everyone!

Im going to get some spray adhesive and a roller and go to it soon.
Now I have a question about ZEP. I have never used it and dont know where to get it and which grade to use. The pictures of that polished-up Scamp look fantastic! I have been using 3m polishing compound but the shine doesn't seem to stick around long. So, what is the best method of getting and keeping that shine?
Thanks
Greg
Scampergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampergreg View Post
Now I have a question about ZEP. I have never used it and dont know where to get it and which grade to use.........
Greg
Does this help? ZEP 1 gal. Wet Look Floor Finish-ZUWLFF128 at The Home Depot

Tags
scamp