Scamp Window Caulking??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #1

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
North Carolina
Scamp Window Caulking???

I have a 1977 13' with roll out windows.. I'm new here but wanted to check to see what you guys thought about chaulking around the windows w/ clear chaulking... both my side windows and rear window has a very slight leak on one corner. I had an RV guy come by today and he thinks chaulking them would be the best instead of taking the windows out completely to reseal. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!
Locklear in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locklear in NC View Post
I'm new here but wanted to check to see what you guys thought about chaulking around the windows w/ clear chaulking... both my side windows and rear window has a very slight leak on one corner. I had an RV guy come by today and he thinks chaulking them would be the best instead of taking the windows out completely to reseal.
Most clear caulks are made with Silicone.
Silicone + Fiberglass = Oil + Water = Bad Karma.

Read my answer to this post.
The RV guy is probably thinking you'll save time and work. Yes, it's faster and easier to just squirt out some caulk. It just never lasts, and the silicone residue prevents other sealants from sticking. I pulled my leaking windows 6 years ago and applied the Butyl Tape Caulk just like in Per's post within my link. Not a single drop of leakage since.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #3

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
North Carolina
Thanks for the info!!!!! The RV guy that I checked w/ is getting me an estimate but it didn't seem like he had worked w/ much fiberglass... It's hard finding someone here in NC so maybe I'll keep looking You are awesome!!!!!
Locklear in NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp