Scamp Window Cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2006, 06:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I purchased my 2000 13ft Scamp just a few weeks ago. The previous owner used two pipe supports to prop (and I use that term lightly) up the front window cover. This cannot be Scamps original method as if I simply look at the poles wrong, they will fall.

Can anyone provide any information or pictures as to how it is supposed to be propped up. I am pretty handy and create almost anything if I can see the originals.

Thanks for your input.
LeBoutillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
No supports provided by Scamp.
The "gravel guard" is designed to be removed completely. Some people have made supports to hold it open instead of removing. The few that I have seen will work only if there isn't any wind.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
This is the method made popular by the famous Joy. 1/2" PVC with removable caps on top that lock them to the shade brackets. The bottom pieces have to be cut to fit and I use the pins to keep them locked in place. The length of the PCV is about 24". Wind is not (or rather has not been!) a problem.

Patrick

Here's a link to the Scamp photo site where Joy has pictures of her braces: http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/sca...os/browse/871a and her written instructions, which are also below in her post.

You can see in the closeup the two cuts required in the bottom piece to fit around the window moulding and flat against the Scamp as mentioned by Joy.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp_Window_Braces.jpg   Brace1.jpg  

Brace2.jpg   Brace_Cut.jpg  

Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
remobianco

Quote:
I purchased my 2000 13ft Scamp just a few weeks ago. The previous owner used two pipe supports to prop (and I use that term lightly) up the front window cover. This cannot be Scamps original method as if I simply look at the poles wrong, they will fall.

Can anyone provide any information or pictures as to how it is supposed to be propped up. I am pretty handy and create almost anything if I can see the originals.

Thanks for your input.
I've had my Scamp 13 since 1976. Traveled with a wife and two kids. Our long trips to Colorado and other points West ment fast one-night stands. I do the same with one short aluminum pipe if at all. Since I hate to take too long to break camp in the a.m. I set up as little as needed. Just enjoy. Remo
Old 02-18-2006, 01:41 AM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Hi this is the Famous Joy

Here's the little schemetic that I pass out to all that are interested.

The hardest part of the whole setup is making the two cuts on the PVC adapter that fits against the trailer. One cut is for the angle against the trailer, the other is so it doesn't rub against the window gasket/trim. It took me 3 tries to get it right and also have the holes in the correct spot for the hitch pin to go under the lower bracket.

One thing that my instructions say is that I use zip ties to hold the gravel guard to the Scamp. Well, they don't last very long with the summer sun and winter weather. I changed to the smallest hose clamps that I could find. That way my gravel guard is permanently attached to the Scamp and the hose clamps act as hinges.

I had asked the Scamp factory why they didn't use hinges on the gravel guard. I was told because of the curvature of the front of the trailer hinges would bind. I can see that the bracket where hinges would be do splay outward. The hose clamps are loose enough that they don't bind.

In addition, with the gravel guard attached to the trailer, the poles affixed to the gravel guard with caps and the poles attached to the lower trailer bracket with the hitch pins under the bracket.....the gravel guard rattles in the wind but is solid as a rock. You just have to get used to the rattling.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Gravel_guard_poles.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We also use PVC pipe as supports to convert the gravel guard to an awning. We drilled holes near the ends of the pipes and when we arrive at the campsite we run cable ties through the holes & through the brackets to hold the awning in place. When we get ready to leave we just snip the cable ties & put the guard back on. It's quick, cheap & the awning stays in place with no trouble.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Joy, I think you should go into business making these. Sounds simple, but like you said it took you three tries at one part. I would think some of us would opt to buy them. I would much rather just hook them into place than to make them.
Joy, I looked at your pictures last night. You have done so much of what I am afraid to do. I would surely make a mess out of what you did so beautifully. I love what you have done to that litlle 13 footer! It looks like you are using every bit of space, and it looks beautiful!

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:37 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Joy is definitely the Mod Queen

One thing I noticed she had done to the top caps on the PC poles was to drill a hole in each and now had a place to fly her American flag. Pretty ingenious. My flags are stuck to the side of the trailer using some suction cup thingy that constantly slides down the trailer. This is a much better method.

Karalyn, I made a set of these supports. It's not hard, just a bit tedious. I found using my Dremil tool to cut the PVC angles to be the best method (okay, so I ruined one before I figured it out). Cut small bites rather than one big one

I also purchased the smallest stainless steel hose clamps Joy mentions. They were too small. Perfect width, but too short. But that's okay, I don't think there's a project I ever take on that I don't have to make at least three trips to Lowes!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:58 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Is Joy's schematic in the Doccument Center?
Old 02-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #10

Karalyn, Thanks for the nice comments. As far as making the struts to sell, that sounds like work to me. I did however make a set for a friend back east who was having trouble with the cuts. I think my friend isn't too mechanical.

Lots of people wonder why we do the mod's we do. Why don't we purchase trailers we don't have to modify. I can guarantee you that there's not a trailer around that doesn't need come kind of tweeking. I make my mod's to make the trailer mine and most definitely for function.

People often ask me why I don't get a larger trailer. I think they are wanting me to buy a larger trailer so they could have my little trailer. It's going to be a long time until I sell it, if ever.

Hey Donna, did you ever put your new door handle in??? I haven't. I set it aside. I've got too much to do around the house, as well as a couple of camping trips, before heading to Alaska in June.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 02-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
I scrapped my gravel guard and made another from white 1/8 in. translucent acrylic.
I stiffened it with two light guage pieces of aluimium angle material along the top and bottom edges. The mounting to the trailer is the same as with the original fiberglass guard. I like the light that comes in daily and the privacy at night.
I use two al. tubes from an old T.V. arieal - flattened and bent on the ends for support in ihe open position. These are held securely by four strong spring clamps- two at the top and two at the bellyband. This worked all last season w/o problemas.
shirley munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi this is the Famous Joy

Here's the little schemetic that I pass out to all that are interested.

The hardest part of the whole setup is making the two cuts on the PVC adapter that fits against the trailer. One cut is for the angle against the trailer, the other is so it doesn't rub against the window gasket/trim. It took me 3 tries to get it right and also have the holes in the correct spot for the hitch pin to go under the lower bracket.

One thing that my instructions say is that I use zip ties to hold the gravel guard to the Scamp. Well, they don't last very long with the summer sun and winter weather. I changed to the smallest hose clamps that I could find. That way my gravel guard is permanently attached to the Scamp and the hose clamps act as hinges.

I had asked the Scamp factory why they didn't use hinges on the gravel guard. I was told because of the curvature of the front of the trailer hinges would bind. I can see that the bracket where hinges would be do splay outward. The hose clamps are loose enough that they don't bind.

In addition, with the gravel guard attached to the trailer, the poles affixed to the gravel guard with caps and the poles attached to the lower trailer bracket with the hitch pins under the bracket.....the gravel guard rattles in the wind but is solid as a rock. You just have to get used to the rattling.

Enjoy
Thanks for the information Joy. This is really helpful! I am currently working on my mods and am looking forward to posting all of my improvements. Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #13

Quote:
This is the method made popular by the famous Joy. 1/2" PVC with removable caps on top that lock them to the shade brackets. The bottom pieces have to be cut to fit and I use the pins to keep them locked in place. The length of the PCV is about 24". Wind is not (or rather has not been!) a problem.

Patrick

Here's a link to the Scamp photo site where Joy has pictures of her braces: http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/sca...os/browse/871a and her written instructions, which are also below in her post.

You can see in the closeup the two cuts required in the bottom piece to fit around the window moulding and flat against the Scamp as mentioned by Joy.
Thanks for the photo's Patrick. Seeing your version really helps make this project a little easier. I think I will use some of your mods along with some of Joy's. Both replies have been very helpful. Thanks for taking the time.
Phil
Old 02-19-2006, 11:45 PM   #14

Actually, Patrick's pictures are my version.

It looks like Patrick only made one cut on the PVC adaptor that sits against the trailer. I had to make 2 cuts as the PVC adaptor would have rubbed against the rubber gasket around the window. I didn't want that.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 02-19-2006, 11:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Yep, I followed Joy's instructions. Why reinvent the wheel, or brace? No Joy, if you look at the closeup picture on the right, you'll see two cuts in the end piece. I think I ruined two before I got the right angles.

Pat

AND

I also followed Joy's instructions for adding doors to the "hidden" storage areas! Her many mods are like a textbook in making a trailer more functional!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
I also use arrows to hold up my rock guard on the front of my 2006 Scamp. I left the points on as they seem to hold better when placed on the rough fiberglass underside of the rock guard. I also use a flag pole made of an extendable window washer purchased from Ace Hardware for about $20. After unscrewing the washer part and stowing it in the garage, I drilled a hole in the plastic top into which I insert a dowel. The dowel has two holes drilled into it onto which I tie my flag. This flag pole is held up by a piece 1 1/2" x about 12" plastic pipe. My Son connected this plastic pipe with U connectors what clamp to the trailer frame by the propane tank. The pipe stays on the trailer. When setting up I just insert the dowel-flag into the end of the pole, raise the pole with the twist mechanism and set in the 1 1/2" plastic pipe (the end of the pole rests on the ground). Works well and is not much to put up or take down. I have used this for several years and am completely satisfied with it. Margaret in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I also use arrows to hold up my rock guard on the front of my 2006 Scamp. I left the points on as they seem to hold better when placed on the rough fiberglass underside of the rock guard. I also use a flag pole made of an extendable window washer purchased from Ace Hardware for about $20. After unscrewing the washer part and stowing it in the garage, I drilled a hole in the plastic top into which I insert a dowel. The dowel has two holes drilled into it onto which I tie my flag. This flag pole is held up by a piece 1 1/2" x about 12" plastic pipe. My Son connected this plastic pipe with U connectors what clamp to the trailer frame by the propane tank. The pipe stays on the trailer. When setting up I just insert the dowel-flag into the end of the pole, raise the pole with the twist mechanism and set in the 1 1/2" plastic pipe (the end of the pole rests on the ground). Works well and is not much to put up or take down. I have used this for several years and am completely satisfied with it. Margaret in NW California
Sounds really interesting! Do you have any pictures to share? I'm a visual person
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:

Thanks for your input.
There's a video on youtube which gives step by step on how to build a sunshade/rockguard for a boler. You might steal some good ideas from it as well.

Cheers!
Michelle A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #19

Name: DaveWI
Trailer: 2014 16‘ Scamp Deluxe
Wisconsin
Thanks so much Joy.
DaveWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp