scamp window leaks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

scamp window leaks?

just wondering if anyone has successfully caulked a side window without it looking crappy...and if so did it work?...thanks for any help you can give us..!!
marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Use this Heng's 3/4" Off White Butyl Rubber Tape - 20' Roll - Tapes - RV Maintenance

Name:   38-1635_2.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  16.7 KB

Silicone caulking not the best idea.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco View Post
just wondering if anyone has successfully caulked a side window without it looking crappy...and if so did it work?...thanks for any help you can give us..!!
I have done so with good success and appearance. but it involved removing the window and keeping the caulk behind the frame face.
It is generally not such a good idea to simply caulk around the frame, since the success rate is low and the appearance usually suffers.
If you were on a trip and needed to seal a window temporarily, then use an acrylic caulk from a squeeze tube, it will give some protection and won't be so hard to clean up when you are ready to make permanent repairs. The butyl tape pictured above is good and effective.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #4

thanks for the tips, i'll get working on it now. just bought my scamp so fiberglass is all new to me.
marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco View Post
thanks for the tips, i'll get working on it now. just bought my scamp so fiberglass is all new to me.
Be sure to clean out the weep holes on the side windows. If they are plugged, water can overflow into the trailer. Carefully remove the little covers on the outside and run weed whacker line through the channel and replace the covers. Test it with spray from a hose.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 PM   #6

Name: Stan Hansard
Trailer: 2004 13" Scamp
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
Be sure to clean out the weep holes on the side windows. If they are plugged, water can overflow into the trailer. Carefully remove the little covers on the outside and run weed whacker line through the channel and replace the covers. Test it with spray from a hose.
Thats what I would do first....may be the problem.If your trailer has been sitting awhile under trees or around alot of dust,then they are probally clogged up.It happened to me .
stanintn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, scamp