Scamp Window Problems - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Hello all.

Our 2004 Scamp 13 has a small (inner frame is 7 1/2" high by 17" wide) Hehr window over the stove that was needing a little work when we bought the trailer last year. The window (frosted) is hinged at the top, with a control knob inside that uses two small arms connnected to a track at the bottom via little plasitic wheels. It was sort of serviceable, but the small plastic wheels were disintegrating. During our final outing last fall, the u-shaped track, held on by an adhesive, actually fell out of the window (while towing, of course). So, I need new plastic wheels (about 1/2" diameter) and a new track (a piece of channel about 1/2 X 1/2) In reality, I probably can't buy just the little wheels, as they are riveted to the control arms. So here we go. Scamp does not sell the parts, but can sell me a window for a little less than $90. The Hehr window parts people had a lot of trouble even identifying this window. I got the part number from Scamp, which was of only a little help. Finally, they came back to say they could sell me a new window for $198.75, and that if I can get one from Scamp for less than $90 I'd better do it! Any ideas? I'm pretty handy in the workshop and can probably make something. Any other source for parts, including used, before I do that?

Old 01-26-2008, 06:14 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I have the exact same window in the bathroom of my 1988 and have never had a problem. Wonder what caused the window to fail in the first place? After all, your trailer is only 3 years old.... I'd buy the window for $90. Even if I thought I was handy, my time is worth something.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I've had similar problems trying to find replacement parts for the windows in our 88-16 Scamp. Trying to find the complete windows is just as much of a problem.

Scamp is more than willing to sell you a new window, but not parts. Hehr doesn't really want to deal with an individual, and it felt like I was an irritation to them when I called. I was finally able to locate what we thought would be replacement screen clips for the windows, and misc. screws and the screen beading. The clips may be right but they came in white instead of black, and the beading was to big.

In the end we bought 2 new windows, one side window, and a rear window that we put in the front instead of the plexi. The "cheapest" we could find was at Scamp. We never really got past the pricing with other places to even find out if the windows would be correct. Most of the other places were $100- $200 more. Scamp knew what we needed without manufacturers numbers and sizing.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
I have the exact same window in the bathroom of my 1988 and have never had a problem. Wonder what caused the window to fail in the first place? After all, your trailer is only 3 years old.... I'd buy the window for $90. Even if I thought I was handy, my time is worth something.
I was wondering the same thing about the window failing. My only guess would be that previous owners may have over-tightened it when closing. The weather stripping was a bit out of shape, so maybe they cranked down on it for a better seal. This would have put extra load on the little plastic rollers, causing them to fail, and could have dislodged the glued-on track as well. And of course you're right about spending time repairing this vs just buying a new one, but that will also take time for installation....all for lack of about $5.00 worth of parts. I was looking at other options for this opening, such as installation of a vent fan if I can find one to match the vertical opening. It would be a pretty simple matter to make a plywood insert to replace the moveable portion of the window, and cut a vent into that. Nothing obvious in the RV catalogs, though, especially in 12V.

Parker
Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Parker, have you tried any of the businesses under the Helpful-Links: Windows and Window Parts? Coopers RV has a 200 + page parts catalog that might be worth investigating (if you haven't already done so).

But please, if you find the parts and can provide part numbers for what you seek, would you be so kind as posting those finding in this topic. It would hopefully save someone else a headache or two.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
$90 seems pretty reasonable to me for a brand new window. Just make sure you tell Scamp not to send it on the Train!

2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp