Old 04-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
Scamp window repair

OK,I have done a lot of searching for window resealing but all I can find is info on the solid plexiglass windows.I have the 3 piece windows on my camper and the front window is leaking through the rivets.I know I could just put some sealer on the rivets but the window has a lot of caulking around it so I would rather take it out and do it right.I would also like to replace the plexiglass while it's out.Does anybody have a link to help me with this?
Attached Thumbnails
scamp2 003.JPG  

Old 04-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
I slid my windows out and took them to an aluminum window shop and had them redo them. It didn't cost a lot and they had all the sealer etc. right there at the shop. If you need the levers that pull the windows closed and prop them open I know a place that makes them.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #3

South Carolina
Registry
Thanks Mike.I do need the levers for the back window because the previous owner put a window unit in that window and broke the levers.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #4

Oregon
Registry
This company in Clackamas Oregon can make levers for you. He and I worked out the design and it works but would work better with a small modification. I intend to take my trailer over there soon to show him what I think would work better. It's hard to explain but I know he'll get it when he sees it.
The company is Tri-Fab and their email is: trifabinc@aol.com
I'll email Aaron to let him know that he might hear from you. The parts are hand made and aren't cheap.
Do your windows still have the tabs that the levers tuck behind to latch the windows closed?

Mike
Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #5

South Carolina
Registry
Thanks Mike.My front window has all parts and works great,it just leaks at a few of the rivets.The rear window still has the locking tabs but it is missing both levers and one of the pins that attatch the lever to the window.Once the plexiglass is replaced,do I just use butyl tape for the seal between the window frame and fiberglass and put it in with new rivets?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #6

Oregon
Registry
I'll look at my box of stuff to tell you what I used to seal the windows and get back to you tomorrow. I sealed the rivets with a dab of clear silicone window seal. One by one I'm replacing some of the rivets all over the body.
Do you have any close-up photos of how the levers were attached to the window originally? I ordered supposed "original" levers from this website but they didn't in any way fit so I sent them back.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #7

South Carolina
Registry
Here you go Mike.I took pictures of the latching hardware inside but they didnt come out very good so if you need those just let me know and I will take more.The first and third pictures are the parts assembled on my front window and the second one is a closeup of the bracket that attatches them to the window.
Attached Thumbnails
window hardware 005.jpg   window hardware 2 001.jpg  

window hardware 007.jpg  
Old 04-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #8

Oregon
Registry
Thank you.
The way my new levers fasten to the window is different from yours, and maybe not as good. That's the part that Tri-Fab needs to work on. I'll attach photos.
The weatherseal I used around the flap windows (on the fixed part) is 3/6-5/16 rubber weatherseal from MD. Their part number 63628. www.mdteam.com
Your Scamp has lights above the rear windows. Mine doesn't. I like those lights but probably won't go to the trouble to add any.
Attached Thumbnails
1-latch closed.jpg   2-latch part open.jpg  

3-latch straight.jpg   4-latch propped open.jpg  

Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #9

South Carolina
Registry
I was actually thinking about making a set of levers similar to yours for my rear window.Now that I see how they work on yours I might go ahead and try it.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #10

Oregon
Registry
The trick, I think, is the way to fasten the levers to the moving window while making sure that the levers align with the slots in the fixed window. Good luck!! If you get it done I'd like to see some photos. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #11

South Carolina
Registry
As far as the rivets in the body go,I kind of have a plan for those too.I restore old cars in my spare time so I'm no stranger to bodywork.Even though I dont have any leaky body rivets,I was thinking about replacing all of the rivets one at a time to make sure they are nice and strong and then covering them with fiberglass.I know I would not be able to get them completely smooth since they are raised but it shouldnt be as noticeable as the rivets and I wouldnt have to worry about them leaking in the future.Anybody think this would be a bad idea?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #12

South Carolina
Registry
Well,I took the front window out this evening.That's a lot of drilling,about 56 rivets.I was really surprised how easily the old putty tape came off.The caulking that the previous owner used was a different story,lot's of scraping.I got the camper itself cleaned up,now I just have to get all the caulking off of the window frame.I will be replacing the plexi while it's out.Wish me luck.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oregon
Brian, see if this great thread Jenny posted helps you. She's given part numbers, etc. for fixing these style jalousie windows Window seals & hardware for 76 Scamp tilt out windows
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #14

South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Brian, see if this great thread Jenny posted helps you. She's given part numbers, etc. for fixing these style jalousie windows Window seals & hardware for 76 Scamp tilt out windows
Thanks Donna,I used that thread when I ordered the seals and glazing a few weeks ago.

Tags
scamp