Scamp windows - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-27-2008, 09:23 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi,
Just joined. I have a 1980 13' Scamp that I brought to Tucson, Arizona from the Bay Area in California.
Apologies if I am repeating a topic but a search didn't find answers to my questions.
I am looking for any information on the windows, particularly the back window. Alternatives to buying a new slider window from Scamp are encouraged but any tips would be appreciated very much.
I salvaged this Scamp. I also need information regarding the skylight/vent assembly. Thanks, Dan

Old 09-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
hummm, we've had a member that wanted a slider for the back of an older Scamp and the area isn't flat enough (or in a big enough area) to put in the slider Scamp sells. It will work in my 1988, but not sure about yours.

Take a long straight edge and place it dead center in the back window (a straight 2x4??). If any part of the window starts to curve before the side edge of the plexiglass is met... the standard Scamp slider won't work (remember plexiglass bends, windows don't). You may be able to find a different size window and may have to fiberglass an area to make it work. Anything is possible given enough time/effort/money.

Good for you for salvaging a Scamp. Got any pictures??

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #3

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
If you have the plastic frame escape vent I found and exact replacement from www.tweetys.com. that fit my trailer for $55.81. P/N 31-1829. (You need to verify your dimensions.) The biggest problem I had was cutting down the trim ring to the correct depth. Instead of reinstalling it with pop rivets I cut a 3/4" plywood ring 1/2" larger than the trim and used 3/4' #8 SS screws to install the new hatch and trim ring. I felt this took stress off of the plastic frame. It took me a while to find an exact replacement escape hatch but they also may be available from Scamp.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Okay, with some searching I found the original topic that discusses the curve in the back window area on older Scamps, Sandra has an 1982 and found out she couldn't put in the sliding window, but there is some discussion on alternatives.

From May 6, 2007: Scamp windows

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Okay, with some searching I found the original topic that discusses the curve in the back window area on older Scamps, Sandra has an 1982 and found out she couldn't put in the sliding window, but there is some discussion on alternatives.

From May 6, 2007: Scamp windows

Best of luck!
Thanks for the information! Very helpful. I'll try and get some photos up. The measurements match the slider Scamp sells (for the rear) and as far as I can tell, I have a flat window area. The ventilation is a priority here in AZ or else I'd fit a front windshield from a '67 v-4 Saab that I have into it. For the vent I am thinking of getting a fan setup. It still has the frame.
I have two friends who have taken their Scamp and Burro to BurningMan several years which motivated me to get one. During one of the infamous dust storms, there was relief and a feeling of security sitting in a scamp as the 14 foot fence poles holding up our 30 x 60' shade structure started bending. My tent didn't get damaged but I couldn't have fallen asleep. One of the tricks my friend used was to install furnace filters over the windows to keep the dust out during the day when you want ventilation. I belong to the group of purists who don't believe in air conditioning at Burning Man although as I get older....Dan

Tags
scamp, windows