Scamp with 2 fresh water tanks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2015, 06:14 AM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Government regs Donna, the grey and black water tanks are suppost to be able to hold at least what the fresh tank holds. Never heard the heater tank being added though.
That's very true on an original build, but when folks add an additional freshwater tank or keep adding water to the only freshwater tank, the graywater tank exceeds it's capacity.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Government regs Donna, the grey and black water tanks are suppost to be able to hold at least what the fresh tank holds. Never heard the heater tank being added though.
The grey water tank on my Scamp can take all the fresh water tanks capacity as well as the hot water heaters capacity and then about another 8 gallons of refill of the fresh tank before it needs to be drained off.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:45 PM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That's very true on an original build, but when folks add an additional freshwater tank or keep adding water to the only freshwater tank, the graywater tank exceeds it's capacity.
You are right on that and I'm guilty of that too, I doubled the fresh size once. I was just relaying factory tank size specs for capacity, fresh equals the holding tanks. Of course they never fill up at the same rate, grey wins ever time. I'd like to see just one holding tank because of that.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Actually, my black fills up first. I've never had the grey fill totally.
The advantage of having separate tanks is you open the black tank first and drain, and then you open the grey tank, which flushes the slinky hose with soapy grey water.

Escape 17B Holding Tanks
  • 20 Gal. Fresh Water Tank
  • 26 Gal Gray Tank (Plan B
  • 19 Gal Black Tank (Plan B
  • Water heater 6 gal.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:10 AM   #25

California
I know what your saying Glenn but camping with two daughters and my wife I never had the black tank fill up. But the grey always filled up but fortunately that's easier to drain off. Both were 20 gal tanks on that rig. Also what you say about draining the black first is correct, which is what I do. But I also use a spray wand and do a final half tank clean water rinse. Never had a problem with tank sencers or anything else tank related. Because of how I empty the tanks and do maintenance a single tank would be my preference.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:52 AM   #26

We do a lot of dishes outside. I have a stainless steel "sink" ( actually a piece of commercial kitchen ware ). I can place it atop my one-burner butane stove to heat water. And, where I camp I can toss the water on a thirsty bush. Or, I can carry it in a galvanized bucket to a sink ( Oregon State Parks ).
I have a daughter who doesn't camp with us and when she moved out of home, my hot-water bill went down significantly. We use campsite showers for the most part, or just wash our hair, using the outside shower.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:20 AM   #27

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Good point on the gray and black water capacity.

I installed a 38 gallon gray water tank, also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1420528533.678002.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	79582

I didn't bother with the black water, since I've never used it since I bought the trailer.

For me, the capacity is about knowing I have good, safe water. Chlorinated water makes me sick, and who knows if the camp stuff is good for drinking. I have 40 gallons of fresh water from my well, wherever I go.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Chlorinated water makes me sick
Our municipal water is chlorinated and often straight out of the tap you can smell the chlorine. But, if you fill a pitcher and put it in the fridge, within a short time the chlorine is gone ( having been exposed to the air ).
Old 01-06-2015, 04:09 AM   #29

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
We do a lot of dishes outside. I have a stainless steel "sink" ( actually a piece of commercial kitchen ware ). I can place it atop my one-burner butane stove to heat water. And, where I camp I can toss the water on a thirsty bush. Or, I can carry it in a galvanized bucket to a sink ( Oregon State Parks ).
Mostly BBQ or microwave so not much or anything to wash. I do the dishes as I toss them in the firedrum . After the kids grew up and moved away the grey tank never fills up and I don't have to water bushes now either...go figure.
Think we have strayed from the OP question though, whoops.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
For me, the capacity is about knowing I have good, safe water. Chlorinated water makes me sick, and who knows if the camp stuff is good for drinking. I have 40 gallons of fresh water from my well, wherever I go.

This is why I carry plenty of drinking/cooking water from home when we go. Just this past weekend I saw the following posted in a campsite restroom: "The notice to boil water has been rescinded”. Apparently the camp had a water line break and subsequent repair the previous week. I might wash my hair with suspect water, but I’m drinking H2O (or Diet Mountain Dew) from home!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp