Scamp with 2 fresh water tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #1

Name: Eddie
Trailer: Casita
Arkansas
Scamp with 2 fresh water tanks

Where is the plumbing routed from the road side tank to the curb side tank in a 2 tank setup?
Jaycojunkie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycojunkie46 View Post
Where is the plumbing routed from the road side tank to the curb side tank in a 2 tank setup?
No standard.. I don't believe it's a factory install. However if you know the vin number you can call Scamp and find out.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Wasn't aware that Scamp even offered a two fresh tank option.... but I can tell you that on my Scamp the hot water and the fresh tank are both on the passenger side but bathroom on drivers side - the water lines run from them around the rear inside perimeter of the trailer and are covered with rat fur for the short section under the rear window where there is no fiberglass hatch/cupboard to hide then in.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #4

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Yes we had a second fresh water tank installed by the factory in our Scamp. The water line to connect the two runs along the back wall floor. Also has two outside fills. One tank is not enough to fill the gray and black tank. One each under each rear dinet bench. Don't drive down the road with them full. Bad.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Yes we had a second fresh water tank installed by the factory in our Scamp. The water line to connect the two runs along the back wall floor. Also has two outside fills. One tank is not enough to fill the gray and black tank. One each under each rear dinet bench. Don't drive down the road with them full. Bad.
Ken
Interesting LOL who said Scamp never does much new! I do a lot of off grid camping but I don't think I would be willing to give give up that much storage space in the rear of my scamp to house the second tank.

Filling the tanks and traveling should only be bad if you don't add adequate weight ahead of the axle to compensate for it.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Interesting LOL who said Scamp never does much new! I do a lot of off grid camping but I don't think I would be willing to give give up that much storage space in the rear of my scamp to house the second tank. Filling the tanks and traveling should only be bad if you don't add adequate weight ahead of the axle to compensate for it.
There is a member with a Scamp 19 who installed dual tanks during his rebuild but then a 5er would handle the weight distribution different anyway. I agree with Carol and think if I wanted to carry more water I would go with other options first. Gallon milk jugs are my current choice. Just change them out as they age (we drink lots of milk). For extended boondocking a bladder in the truck would be nice. Any non-trailer mounted option has the advantage of driving to a water source without also dragging the trailer along.

It is a little off topic but I have to tell a story from this past weekend. I attended an event at an "off grid" site that holds primitive camping and Colonial “Rendezvous” gatherings. One of the hosts has taken it upon himself to make sure water is available. They also have planted a few gardens around the grounds to try and beautify the woods a bit. Anyway, he has two 55 gallon plastic drums mounted in the bed of his truck, and a 12V pump and associated plumbing. When I asked about it he told a story of stopping for gas one day and another fellow asking about his setup saying “what do you haul in your barrels?” “Water” says he. “How much water is that?” “Hundred gallons” was the reply. “What do you do with a hundred gallons of water?” “Oh, I grow a few plants in the woods”.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Here is the shortcut when I did mine. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-up-58971.html
Old 12-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I agree with Carol and think if I wanted to carry more water I would go with other options first. Gallon milk jugs are my current choice. Just change them out as they age (we drink lots of milk). For extended boondocking a bladder in the truck would be nice. Any non-trailer mounted option has the advantage of driving to a water source without also dragging the trailer along.
I carry a couple of 5 gallon collapsible bladders. Collapse down flat so they store nicely on top of the scamps water tank or beside the tank in the rear hatch. That space is not good for storing much else.

If dry camping I will pre fill the trailers tank and a couple of the portable bladders and leave them in the back of the tug should I run out of water and then refill when out traveling about during the day. Rare not to be able to find a spot to refill. I bring along a couple of extras if I know for sure I am going to be areas where refills will be harder to find or I am not going to do any day trips while in the area. Have dry camped many times for a week or more using that system. Bigger worry than running out of water is over filling they grey tank, so I bring along a portable 8 gallon tote with wheels to drain the grey tank as needed.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I put dual 20's in my 19'. They're connected by two 1/2" hoses. One filler, I plugged the other with a rubber boat plug. The vents MUST be completely separate, or the second tank won't fill. It defies the laws of physics, but it doesn't work, don't ask me why. I t'd them together and after a day, the second one hadn't leveled off.

It still takes 15-20 minutes to fill them, as the second one is slower. I don't care, because I fill at home anyway. I travel with both tanks full, and only dump at home. Zero issues, but with a fifth wheel and adequate tow vehicle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1419953780.070296.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	79409

I put deck hatches in them, they could be filled that way, also.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1419953886.775299.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	79410

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #10

Name: Linda
Trailer: Escape
Washington
We ran out of water this weekend and decided more is better. Where did you put the second tank on the 19' ?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mrswalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:02 AM   #11

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
There's one under each dinette bench.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1420351060.592775.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	79528

I put the pump under the sink. You could probably squeeze it in next to a tank still, but I wanted it under the sink anyway.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1420351344.429060.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	79530

It still leaves a little storage room.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1420351155.263358.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	79529

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #12

Washington
Thanks! We're accustomed to managing water (boaters) and are still not quite sure why we ran out so quickly. Toilet usage was at a minimum because the state park had immaculate restrooms. The water was turned off to the campsite for the winter so we were definitely dry camping. Washing dishes and hands were the only real uses. When the rain stops and the pavement dries out, we will check for leaks.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:50 PM   #13

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswalzie View Post
We ran out of water this weekend and decided more is better. Where did you put the second tank on the 19' ?
I'd prefer to keep emergency water supply in the TV rather than loose valuable storage space in the trailer...
Old 01-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswalzie View Post
Thanks! We're accustomed to managing water (boaters) and are still not quite sure why we ran out so quickly. Toilet usage was at a minimum because the state park had immaculate restrooms. The water was turned off to the campsite for the winter so we were definitely dry camping. Washing dishes and hands were the only real uses. When the rain stops and the pavement dries out, we will check for leaks.
Is it possible the tank was never actually full? I know it takes a long time to get my tank to fill and it has to be done slowly. I have thought it to be full a couple of times when it was not - suspect an air block in the filler tube caused me to think it was full. Another thing is as soon as you turn on the water pump unless you have a bypass on the hot water tank it with automatically fill the hot water tank thus robbing you of half your fresh water supply. Once the fresh tank is empty you can not get the water that is in the hot water tank out!

I am like the others would rather carry spare water in the tug than loose the one large storage hatch to another tank.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's not just about how much water you put in... but it's the output! Have you figured out how to get rid of all the gray or blackwater? I've noticed the manufacturers match all the freshwater (including hotwater tank) to the gray/black.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #16

Washington
Quote:
Is it possible the tank was never actually full? I know it takes a long time to get my tank to fill and it has to be done slowly. I have thought it to be full a couple of times when it was not - suspect an air block in the filler tube caused me to think it was full. Another thing is as soon as you turn on the water pump unless you have a bypass on the hot water tank it with automatically fill the hot water tank thus robbing you of half your fresh water supply. Once the fresh tank is empty you can not get the water that is in the hot water tank out!

I am like the others would rather carry spare water in the tug than loose the one large storage hatch to another tank.

You may be right. The grey side was very quick to drain. Could be that we started out light on water.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Is it possible the tank was never actually full? I know it takes a long time to get my tank to fill and it has to be done slowly. I have thought it to be full a couple of times when it was not - suspect an air block in the filler tube caused me to think it was full.
Carol, I had a similar problem, filling the fresh water tank was a big pain in the behind, holding the six gallon (50 pounds) bladder, dribbling it in and letting air out through the same hole. I found out that the tank vent tube had a kink in it. It was held up with a clamp to the underside of the seat and it was kinked from the factory. I removed the clamp, let the plastic relax and now I can pour the water in really fast. (I was just poking around to see how they plumbed it, when I noticed it one day.)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Carol, I had a similar problem, filling the fresh water tank was a big pain in the behind, holding the six gallon (50 pounds) bladder, dribbling it in and letting air out through the same hole. I found out that the tank vent tube had a kink in it. It was held up with a clamp to the underside of the seat and it was kinked from the factory. I removed the clamp, let the plastic relax and now I can pour the water in really fast. (I was just poking around to see how they plumbed it, when I noticed it one day.)

Paul you may be correct that may have been part of the issue with filling the tank on my trailer as well. Can not say for sure but I did replace the vent tube a couple of years ago and now that you mention it, it has been easier to fill since. But I do know that when filling with a hose I do need to keep the water flow into it fairly low other wise it does tend to back up causing me to think its full when it isn't.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:50 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's not just about how much water you put in... but it's the output! Have you figured out how to get rid of all the gray or blackwater? I've noticed the manufacturers match all the freshwater (including hotwater tank) to the gray/black.
Government regs Donna, the grey and black water tanks are suppost to be able to hold at least what the fresh tank holds. Never heard the heater tank being added though.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:11 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
There have been a few posts for filling tanks, be it a slow process or not filling all the way. I have a SD17 with a 25 gal tank and from what I've read it seems nobody can get more than 22 or 23 gallons in it even filling it at a dribble. The side hatch door by the tank gives you a great view of what's in the tank. I've never been able to fill it and when traveling on the road it tends to leak out the fill hatch. Has anybody found an answer to fixing this ? Never had this problem with any other RV I've had and I always run with everything full and ready to go as we dry camp.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp