Scamps fridge problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Scamps fridge problem

Have owned a few trailers over the years, latest FG one being a 1999 16' bought in 2000.

Is very frustrating that all my large size RV's can travel with the gas option working while traveling down the road, while the Scamps all blow out the flame.

Never (except in severe storms) had the flame go out while parked in any of the Scamps.

I believe all the trailers (full size & Scamps) had Dometic brand.

I don't like to run fridges on 12 volts personally.
nutter_scamp_owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
There are a number of easy modifications that you can do to stop that from happening. From a metal cover to something as simple as a furnace filter. Do a search on the forum and you will come up with plenty of examples.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter_scamp_owner View Post

Is very frustrating that all my large size RV's can travel with the gas option working while traveling down the road, while the Scamps all blow out the flame.

While I try to avoid it, I have run the fridge in my Scamp for maybe 100 hours of road travel and never had the flame blow out. So not ALL Scamps do it.

Perhaps the smaller fridge with the two side vents are more problematic. Mine has the roof exhaust vent.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:02 AM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Scamps fridge problem

Have owned a 2010 13-ft and 2014 and 2017 16-ft Scamps and travel more than 84,000 miles since 2010 and never had a problem with the fridge propane. I start cooling the fridge several day prior to departure and turn it off when I get home. Many trips have been for 3 or 4 weeks and one 6 weeks. I ran out of propane 2x but that was owner operator error.
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #5

Name: J
Isle of Wight
I have a theory about fridges blowing out while under way.
It is based on anecdotal data from the Casita community.
With the exact same model/length of trailer, some work fine and others blow out.

I believe it is a function of the tow vehicle.
Some shed air turbulence - others not so much.

So - either try a different tow, or add some shielding.

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by widgetwizard View Post
I have a theory about fridges blowing out while under way.
It is based on anecdotal data from the Casita community.
With the exact same model/length of trailer, some work fine and others blow out.

I believe it is a function of the tow vehicle.
Some shed air turbulence - others not so much.

So - either try a different tow, or add some shielding.

Jim
It could also be a function of speed. The faster you to the more likely it will blow out.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #7

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
12 volts for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutter_scamp_owner View Post
Have owned a few trailers over the years, latest FG one being a 1999 16' bought in 2000.

Never (except in severe storms) had the flame go out while parked in any of the Scamps.

I believe all the trailers (full size & Scamps) had Dometic brand.

I don't like to run fridges on 12 volts personally.

It is illegal and a big fine to actually have the gas on while on the road.

Never had any problem with using the 12 volts on one.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post

Never had any problem with using the 12 volts on one.
Not illegal or something that will bring a fine. Please provide a link to documentation or legislation that states this from the dmv or a reputable source.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:49 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:

Not true that running fridge on propane is illegal. Not sure why you would post false information.
You may have to shut off propane for certain tunnels or while fueling.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:37 PM   #10

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Not true that running fridge on propane is illegal. Not sure why you would post false information.

Federal law. DOT rules and they apply to vehicles not under DOT inspection. All flammable gases and flames must be secured when on any road under DOT jurisdiction. That is not just federal roads, but also any other roads which are public. Technically you could like drive around a camp ground or the like that way. But the second you hit anything we would call a road you have to have the on the tank off.

You also got the tunnels thing wrong. You can't take propane at all. Not just have it turned off, but it has to not exist. You can't even transport empty cylinders. OK manufactures can transport empty never been filled cylinders through tunnels.

Obviously having all flames off when refueling is absolutely necessary. Most if not all states have laws on this, but it is not a federal law.

This is also really stupid to do. Propane appliances are also not designed to be operated in motion. And if something happens on the road and any vapor reaches the flame this is bad. Obviously this can happen in an accident, but also sometimes there are leaks in transport (which gets people fined remember the part about all flammable gases secured). If you drive by a vehicle with a small leak you can light them and you on fire. And by the way your insurance will not cover this because it is not allowed.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #11

Your post is balderdash.

Suggest you post your sources ( links ) if you ever find one.
And, you can explain propane powered vehicles at the same time.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Shutting off gas is also strictly enforced on ferries.

Otherwise I travel with the fridge on gas, and the pilot flame does get blown out occasionally. Most often when towing into strong headwind. We check it at every pit stop.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #13

Yup ferries too.
Also like to point out that there are millions of gasoline powered vehicles on the roads and that GASoline releases vapor.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #14

Indiana
Quote:
Your post is balderdash.

Propane powered vehicles are designed and certified to operate legally while on roads. Read your instructions for your frig some time they point out they are not. Actually read the manual for your camper it will say the same thing.

OK the cops don't catch people for this very often. You are more likely to be dinged for not having your caps on your waste lines. And even that seldom happens unless they are like dripping. But that is still the law. Why in the heck do you think they have 12 volt systems on them if propane works and is legal????
Old 11-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #15

Indiana
Quote:
Your post is balderdash.

Since you can't find the easy to find links to this

https://energizedgas.com/blog/2017/0...ropane-safety/

https://www.tripsavvy.com/rv-propane-safety-505111
Old 11-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #16

Quote:

Sorry. Those are not government regulations ( laws ).

You can find dozens of sites that post balderdash.
The web is full of misinformation and you are contributing to it by citing such.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #17

Indiana
Quote:
Sorry. Those are not government regulations ( laws ).

You can find dozens of sites that post balderdash.
The web is full of misinformation and you are contributing to it by citing such.

Yeap we can see you posting balderdash here ;-)

Learned this stuff years ago when I was working in trucking. Short version, to a large extent the same DOT transportation regulations that apply to big trucks apply to cars. But the Transporation cops can stop a truck just on a whim and do for inspections. The cops have to have probable cause such as stopping for other infraction. Also the cop generally don't know the DOT rules, so they don't worry generally about it. Of course if you have a vehicle which looks like a transport but is a private nor for hire, they do check those and generally check the rules on that. The only ticket $800 I know of for the valve open on a trailer camper was where the pickup towing it was DOT registered and so the cop wondered what was going on.

A camper is allowed to have propare under pressure in the tank because it is DOT certified. OR it should be. You can be in big trouble if it has not been been certified in the last 10 years. And that is for all pressure vessels. Even air compressor tanks if they are under pressure under transport. Know a number of mechanics who have been caught by this one. If I am fixing a vehicle on the road and need air I take my air compressor, without pressure and my generator for this reason.

Now the piping can be certified for transportation. Like the frigs on big rigs. But that is much more expensive. The piping in your camper is generally not even certified for use in a home. Trailers while stationary such as mobile homes or campers in a camp have a MUCH lower set of requirements. As a result they may not be pressurized while in transit.

You are full of it just like the guy here who says you can go through tunnels with tanks that are closed.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
... Why in the heck do you think they have 12 volt systems on them if propane works and is legal????
Many RV fridges do not run on 12 volts. And who ya gonna believe? The fine folks at Scamp told me to run mine on propane when traveling (it has no 12 volt option). Of course the risk managed manual says not to.

But here is the bottom line. You make some good points, and it is true that there is some small risk in using a propane fridge on the road. But you still have not given any specifics or a proper legal citation to this law that you seem to think exists. So you should either be specific about what law it is you are talking about or let it go.

I'll wager that if you do come up with one, it will only apply to commercial transport. No, its not true that DOT regulations, Code of Federal Regulations, etc. apply equally to commercial and private vehicles.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #19

I think computerspook is referencing laws that apply to the commercial transportation of bulk propane. They do not apply to RVs with 20 lb. tanks on board.
We go through this exercise about six times a year.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Why in the heck do you think they have 12 volt systems on them if propane works and is legal????
Why 12 volts on them? For the vast majority of RV refers out there that are only powered by 110 ac or LP, the 12Vs feed the computer board only. Do believe that the 3 way run refers, 12v/LP/110v, are pretty much extinct now. I think you may be taking the operating instructions in the manual as a law. It is really only legaleze to cover the manufactures backside. As others have pointed out, there are only a few incidences it needs to be turned off. Otherwise it's legal to run while traveling.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, scamp