Screen Door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
I'm looking for resources or advice on adding a screen door to my 16' Casita. I did a search, but did not find much on this topic. Thanks in advance.

David
david duboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
You might want to make or buy one of these.
http://www.bugoffscreen.com/

We have had one for four years and it works great. Just walk thru with hands full. ( of course you have to duck with a 13' Burro) no hands needed. When it hangs right it closes itself. Bugs haven't seemed to figure out there is a small gap ( maybe 1/16 ") at the bottom yet.

pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a slick one:

Gord's Trillium Screen Door
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I did something like Gord's, but not as nice, using the side boards (got the idea from a Boler group), an aluminum window kit from Home Despot and some screening. The difficult part is having something across the threshold for the door to seal against.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #5

I've had these instructions for a long time. Some of it came from Maggie O. (pre-hack) and I think some is info gathered at Bolerama. I have a stock bi-fold from Scamp and the bottom seals against a piece of threshold made out of oak, about a quarter-inch thick.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bi_foldScreenDoorInstructions.pdf (298.1 KB, 542 views)
Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Escape

Check out the picture of Escape's screen door on the 17 foot. www.escapetrailer.com. Go to the layouts tab, 17 foot, it's the third pictures if you click on the centre camera icon.
Ellen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #7

Registry
Would the Scamp Screen door fit?

The PDF file looks interesting. It appears that there's no track at the top to keep the end panel in line.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Would the Scamp Screen door fit?

The PDF file looks interesting. It appears that there's no track at the top to keep the end panel in line.
Scamp sells "Johnson" hardware for the bi-fold, to track the door. I took that down in my trailer, it was all worn out from use and the door kept falling. I've now got three piano hinges (top, middle and bottom) that are screwed into one side of the door and into the side panel. Works great!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:46 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I made a door using two replacement tent poles from a camp supply store (the kind that use shock cord to hold them together) and hatch screening (about 6 feet long) from a marine store. I stitched pockets in the side for the poles (cut down a skosh to be about 2-3 inches taller than the door is high) and another pocket at the bottom for a row of marbles to hold it down against the floor. I just sewed it with a regular sewing machine.

I attached hammock hooks on the sides of the door opening (a pair on the closet door wall and a pair on the wall that forms the door side of the reefer/overhead cabinet wall) to flex the poles against the curvature.

To go in/out I just unhook one side and lean the pole against the closet wall. Normally when I'm going in and out a lot I just use one of the hooks on the reefer side.

I took my time getting the width right so that the screen is tensioned smoothly side to side.

It's worked fine for 3 or 4 years now.

It doesn't open and close like a bifold door which would be ideal in my mind. However, my closet mounted air conditioner makes hanging a door frame on that side difficult. It's right edge intrudes into what would be a plumb line from the top of the door to the bottom.

It's hard to get far enough away from it to get a decent picture or I'd include one.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 2001 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
You might want to make or buy one of these.
http://www.bugoffscreen.com/

We have had one for four years and it works great. Just walk thru with hands full. ( of course you have to duck with a 13' Burro) no hands needed. When it hangs right it closes itself. Bugs haven't seemed to figure out there is a small gap ( maybe 1/16 ") at the bottom yet.
pjantis,
Could you tell me a little bit more about your installation of the Bug Off screen. I'm not really familiar with the Boler and am wondering if it has a curved door like the Casita. My Casita is the 16' model that has the curved door and I am wondering how I can install a screen that will fit against the curved wall. I know others have built a frame and installed a bifold door, but as Steve mentioned in his post, the front mount AC doesn't allow room for a door frame. Also, do you have any pictures of your installation? A screen would be a really enjoyable addition to an already enjoyable trailer.
Thanks, Fred
Fred Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Thank you everyone for responding. I believe Gords Trillium door or the bi fold door from Donna's PDF will be the one I choose to attempt. It all seems less daunting knowing others have gone before and succeeded.

David

BTW the Chi's say
david duboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Scamp sells "Johnson" hardware for the bi-fold, to track the door. I took that down in my trailer, it was all worn out from use and the door kept falling. I've now got three piano hinges (top, middle and bottom) that are screwed into one side of the door and into the side panel. Works great!

If I can remember that long, I want to take a look at what you did in April. It seems to me that things would get a bit hard to handle without the top track, but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
If I can remember that long, I want to take a look at what you did in April. It seems to me that things would get a bit hard to handle without the top track, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sure, stop by. It works just fine, differently for shur, and I can still use the snap holdback when it's stored.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:12 PM   #14

Trailer: Surfside
Quote:
I'm looking for resources or advice on adding a screen door to my 16' Casita. I did a search, but did not find much on this topic. Thanks in advance.

David

Member - HaroldB has a beautiful screen door he made for his Casita. Search for "Two More Oak Wood Projects, Screen door and utensil drawer" and you'll see the amazing photos.
Rae M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2005
Quote:
Member - HaroldB has a beautiful screen door he made for his Casita. Search for "Two More Oak Wood Projects, Screen door and utensil drawer" and you'll see the amazing photos.
Our Casita is a 17' so exterior door and screen door are flat. I have not see a 16' in real life, but understand the door is contoured the same as the shell. Gord100's wooden door mentioned above looks like it would be easier to build than the one I did, since it is not connected to the exterior door. It looks to me it operates totally separate from the exterior door. I've built several screen doors for houses and none of them have been the challenge that the Casita one turned out to be.

Harold
Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1984
I started a topic last march titled "The open Door" There were quite a few pictures on that thread.
Jim

It's in Modifications.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler 1984
Thanks for the edit Donna. It makes a world of difference when you don't have to do a search.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote