Screen Enclosure for camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #1

Name: DaveWI
Trailer: 2014 16‘ Scamp Deluxe
Wisconsin
Screen Enclosure for camping

Hi, I’m hopping someone can give me some advice about the best and easiest setup options for screen enclosures. We’re camping in a 16 ft Scamp and just want something that will hold a picnic table and a couple of chairs. Any suggestions for the best products are much appreciated.
DaveWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:24 PM   #2

Name: Gwenne
Trailer: Oliver Travel Trailer
North Carolina
Registry
Many people have the Clam Shelter. Look up on Amazon; there are a couple of sizes.
Gwenne 0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:32 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
CLAM SIX PACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHoffman View Post
Hi, I’m hopping someone can give me some advice about the best and easiest setup options for screen enclosures. We’re camping in a 16 ft Scamp and just want something that will hold a picnic table and a couple of chairs. Any suggestions for the best products are much appreciated.

AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
[QUOTE=Gwenne 0520;765139]Many people have the Clam Shelter. Look up on Amazon; there are a couple of sizes.

I have the older Clam that I'm very happy with. My biggest complaint is it is bulky when collapsed. Do purchase the optional wind panels.
Given the choice today I would spend the extra money to get the newer model that has small flaps that go over the top edge of the wind (and rain) panels. The older model does not have these flaps and water does drip inside along the tops of the panels when it rains. Not a big deal or a deal breaker for me.
Also, the wind panels are different between the old and new models, the Velcro strips along the top edge are located in different places. I believe the newest model has panels that roll up.
The collapsed clam will lay on the floor of your Scamp 16 for traveling.
Clam also makes a smaller 4 sided screen room that may suit your needs.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #5

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHoffman View Post
We use the Clam Quick-Set Escape 144"x144". It works great for additional living space.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6462.jpg  
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #6

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
I also have a CLAM, model Escape, accompanied by 3 panels to be sheltered from the wind, when there is ...
The weight is approximately 35 lbs and is easily and quickly installed, as shown in the video.
When in its bag, the whole measures 6 'long and is very good for the pickup box which is 6' 4 ''.

https://3989ac5bcbe1edfc864a-0a7f10f...Catalog_LR.pdf
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Thanks everyone for your quick and helpful replies. It seems Clam is the way to go.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:01 PM   #8

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
I bought the Clam. It took up too much room in my 4Runner. Plus it was heavier than I preferred. I gave it to my sister and her husband and got a Gazelle. 10# lighter and 10” shorter. I’m happy.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:46 PM   #9

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
We purchased a Gazelle last year and are pleased with it so far. It’s very similar to the clam but was cheaper so we gave it a chance. We got the smaller version since it’s only 2 of us and the dog. Folded up it fits across the bed of my F150 or even behind the seat. It opens up in a couple minutes and just a little longer to fold it up. If you’re interested in the Clam you owe it to your self to check out the Gazelle.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #10

Name: Julie
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Ontario
We bought the Gazelle G6 in 2018 after seeing recommendations on this forum.
(Princess Auto $205+tx+ship)
Takes less than 2 minutes to put up and a bit longer for take down - 2 people is easiest of course.
Couldn't be happier with it.
Julie.OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Thanks Julie.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #12

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
I got the 6x6' Clam off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can set it up by myself, which is how I do most of my camping. I may not look graceful doing it, but I get the job done on my own, which is what counts. It comes with a carrying bag that fits easily in the back of my Tundra. I also got the wind/rain panels:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you purchase the Clam, as noted earlier, be sure to get the one with the flaps that go over the top of the wind panels. Which means the tan colored version, not the green and another color that I forget.

I can set up my camping chair in there, along with a 3' folding table that I use for crafting or eating on, plus a footstool and a side table for my snacks. I've also fit in 2 more camping chairs when I had some visitors. It was cozy, but we made it work.

It wouldn't be big enough for a picnic table, but then again I never use those as I always bang my long legs on it and it's really hard to get my legs underneath the table. Yeah, gave up on those leg banging tables years and years ago, way before camping entered my life.

Oh, I also don't use the stakes that come with it, but use some ratcheting straps hooked to the loop on the top side of the Clam and the other end to some gravel filled weight bags I used with the EZ Up I used when I vended at outdoor shows. The weight bags are heavy enough and they've kept the shelter in place during windy times. However, if it's really windy, I don't put it up.

I've used it during sunny days as well as drizzly days. It's kept me from getting sunburned and I can sit outside and listen to natural (and noisy diesels ) and stay dry when it's raining. I love it! However, I've not been able to use it at all campgrounds due to limiting space. Maybe if that leg-banging picnic table wasn't there, I'd have room. Hee, hee

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #13

Washington
I should add that I looked at both the Gazelle and Clam in person at the Bandon Oregon trailer rally year before last. I talked to owners of most of them to determine which brand and size I wanted. One fellow there pointed out the flap that goes over the wind/rain panels - I'm ever thankful to him for telling me that, as I don't know if I would have picked up on that difference in the description on Amazon between the two colors.

I don't believe the Gazelles had that overlapping flap, which is quite important if you're gonna be camping where it rains and/or drizzles a lot (oh, say like in WA and OR and thereabouts).

Size was also a huge consideration since I'd be setting it up myself. I was talking to one fellow, asking if he thought I could put it up on my own. It was larger than the 6x6 I went with; forget the exact size now. I laughed. He said I could do it, but his wife, behind him, was shaking her head "no". I went with her advice.

So, yeah, before you purchase, figure out if the case will fit in the vehicle or trailer. Determine what sort of weather conditions you'll use it in and how many of you will use it, as well as setting up and taking it down. The larger ones are taller and it might be harder to push that section up if you're height-challenged. Or use a stool for that phase of operation.

Old 01-13-2020, 05:25 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
Clams at Aldi

We purchased a "Clam" at Aldi (yes, the grocery store) for $99. It is a direct copy of the Clam, comes with a stash bag. We lay it in it's storage bag on the floor of the scamp while traveling. If I don't need or want to set it up at the campsite, it rests comfortably under the trailer.
It's like any non-foodstuff item at Aldi. If you want it, buy it then. It won't be there next week.
Dpschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:31 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpschu View Post
We purchased a "Clam" at Aldi (yes, the grocery store) for $99. It is a direct copy of the Clam, comes with a stash bag. We lay it in it's storage bag on the floor of the scamp while traveling. If I don't need or want to set it up at the campsite, it rests comfortably under the trailer.
It's like any non-foodstuff item at Aldi. If you want it, buy it then. It won't be there next week.
I got one of those too. Only used it once last fall, but it seems well made and well worth the money. We'll have to see if they carry them again this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190920_182140a.jpg  
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #16

Washington
Excellent choice of vehicle! I have a 2010 in brick red (doesn't pull the Escape though).

Old 01-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Nice. Mine's a 2010 too. It pulls the Lite House easy enough, although usually in 4th gear just to keep if from downshifting all the time.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:34 AM   #18

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Talking sshelter

We have usd our 5 sided Gazelle for two seasons so far and love it. WE bought the add-on solid side flaps to use a wind breakers in coler weather. The screens are no seeum size too.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:27 AM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Another vote for the smaller clam shelter, perfect for a couple with a couple of dogs. The larger model, was too difficult to set up by one individual and heavy. So you have choices to make between the 2...
Old 01-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Dave,

First we bought an expensive 12x12 screen room that was too much trouble putting up.

Soon after we bought a 6 sided CLAM which we used a lot. We have small car and small trailer and the long CLAM was a bit heavier and longer than we want.

Now we mostly use the 5 sided Gazelle. This is a bit shorter in folded length, a bit lighter and a bit smaller than the CLAM.

Both the CLAM and Gazelle have side panels. We still use both depending on where we camp. For a long road trip the Gazelle will be much easier transporting. I think we could have 5 lawn chairs in the Gazelle. The 6 sided CLAM can hold a lot of lawn chairs around the inside. With a propane fire ring in the middle it is very cozy. We also carry our own table.

BTW I prefer the 5 side Gazelle over the 4 sided small CLAM others use. The pentagonal shape makes for a nicer arrangement for lawn chairs.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp